Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-15-2007, 12:57 PM   #1
Kelly Pedersen

Default [Ultra-Tech] Value of Mitigator Limitation for Cybernetics

I'm trying to work out how the value of the Mitigator limitation when you've got a cybernetic replacement limb/eye/etc. was calculated. Ultra-tech says, on p. 207:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra-Tech p.207
"Cybernetic replacement parts for specific body locations are bought as a crippling disadvantage with the Mitigator (-70%) limitation. This limitation is assumed to include the effects of the Electrical, Maintenance (1 person, monthy) (p. B143), and Unhealing (p. B160) disadvantages for that body part."
However, the text gives no indication of how the Mitigator "includes" the effects. Is this a case of using limitations on another limitation? Or are these Temporary Disadvantages that are being added to the cost of the Mitigator?
I'm wondering, because in a campaign I'm running, cybernetics are common, but most implants are resistant to EMPs and other electrical hazards, so I'd like to know what the value of the Mitigator would be if it doesn't include the Electrical disadvantage.
Kelly Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:09 PM   #2
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Default Re: [Ultra-Tech] Value of Mitigator Limitation for Cybernetics

Electrical and Maintenance are worth -20% apiece. Unhealing is worth -30%.
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:18 PM   #3
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Mitigator is worth -70% here because monthly "treatments" are needed, which happen to take the form of monthly Maintenance. It isn't worth only -60% like a Mitigator that's easily stolen, broken, or misplaced because cyberwear is less vulnerable to damage than most Mitigators. Electrical is a minor weakness next to the way that pills, glasses, etc., are easily lost, stolen, and crushed. Unhealing is true for any inanimate Mitigator, and not a special drawback here. Thus, all of these aspects were considered in the valuation of Mitigator.

Cyberwear that doesn't need monthly Maintenance, isn't Electrical, or is capable of self-repair and thus not Unhealing would be a Mitigator worth -80%. If it has two of these benefits, it would be a Mitigator worth -90%. If it had all three, it would be as good as the thing it replaces and simply get rid of the disadvantage altogether.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 01:26 PM   #4
Kelly Pedersen

Cool, I understand. Thanks, Kromm!
Old 03-15-2007, 02:43 PM   #5
ham2anv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromm
Cyberwear that doesn't need monthly Maintenance, isn't Electrical, or is capable of self-repair and thus not Unhealing would be a Mitigator worth -80%. If it has two of these benefits, it would be a Mitigator worth -90%. If it had all three, it would be as good as the thing it replaces and simply get rid of the disadvantage altogether.
Is that to say that disadvantages can be limited more than -80%?
Old 03-15-2007, 05:41 PM   #6
Kelly Pedersen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham2anv
An individual limitation can have a value greater than -80% - see Nuiscance Effect: Backlash (Unconsciousness) -200%, from Powers p. 104. However, the total amount of limitation value you can take is still capped at -80%. If the only modifier you have on an ability is Backlash (Unconsciousness), then you're cheating yourself, since you're not getting more than 80% of the points back, but you've got a limitation worth a lot more. Pile on the enhancements to bring the total back up to -80%.
Of course, the -80% cap might not apply to limiting disadvantages anyway - it's probably far less of a balance issue if you're going to pile on the limitations to those. Just so long as they don't go below -1 point, anyway.

Last edited by Kelly Pedersen; 03-16-2007 at 05:18 PM.
Old 03-16-2007, 01:28 AM   #7
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham2anv

Go right ahead. It costs you more points to do it. It's pretty hard to abuse.
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote