Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-06-2007, 06:46 PM   #1
KSTanker

Default Converting "Forgotten Realms" to GURPS

Anyone have any ideas on using WoC's DnD 3.0/ 3.5 "Forgotten Realms" universe in GURPS Fantasy?
Old 03-06-2007, 06:59 PM   #2
Mehmet
MIB

Default Re: Converting "Forgotten Realms" to GURPS

I don't mean to bash any setting or system but I believe FR is the easiest to convert - just keep the power level at 300 CP or so (you know, 5th level mage barkeeps are very common in small hamlets of 100-200), get the map, names of cities, kingdoms, names of important NPC's and use unmodified GURPS with the help of GURPS Fantasy maybe*.

Cheerio!

*The only problem may be statting things (when you have reached a certain level of munchkinism, you start being a human but become a thing of munchkinness) like certain good natured dark elf, a jack of all trades and master of all godlike ego mage, some absurdly powerful individuals who chose the life of a simple [insert a simple job here] or you may just use the names and known powers without statting them - after all I don't think any sane GM would give his PC's an insta-munchkin power that would allow them to resurrect instantly when they die and continue fighting at full power indefinitely.

Last edited by Mehmet; 03-06-2007 at 07:04 PM.
Mehmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:12 PM   #3
carllarson

I convert a lot of d20 stuff, using a simple idea that may work for you (I make no claims to if it is a conversion of actual equivalence, and in most ways it probably isn't.)

Attributes, use the bonus as the plus/minus from 10.

Skills, use the ranks as skill points, rounding down. Melee skills are infered from BAB and concept.

Feats, usually come as an advantage, or within a skill. If a skill, give it points per above based on level.

Special abilites, wing it, much as feats. Although, some are being built per Powers.

Spells, give the listed spell, and let its prereqs add in. If it doesn't convert easy, I often just ignore it.

This has worked even to a Thieves' World and a Black Company conversion, so far. Fighters come up between 50 and 150 points at low levels, and mages come up about twice that.

And yes, you do get little things like 24cp in Fast Talk, for IQ+6, for a lvl20 rogue. Hopefully, he really is a smooth talking bloke.

Last edited by carllarson; 03-06-2007 at 07:16 PM.
carllarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:30 PM   #4
Gavynn

Forgotten Realms is a good setting to try and convert. It was my group's favourite setting for D&D and if I were trying to run a more generic GURPS fantasy game I would certainly consider putting it in Forgotten Realms.

I would go for a much more freeform conversion though. Certainly it could take a lot of time to do it that way though. Or are you looking for a way to put a D&D template in a black box and have it shoot out the nearest approximation of a GURPS template?
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2007, 07:31 PM   #5
KSTanker

I have a character from FR that I like to do the 4E version of for GURPS and the Woodsman just does not equate well to the Ranger for WoC's DnD 3.5. I suppose I could work up a template to develop the basic Ranger. Only thing is Silke Rahn is a fairly high level character (Ranger (9) Rogue (9) and Shadow Dancer (6)) I suspect that she would be well over 300pts in GURPS. The problem of her race is not a problem after all as she is just a half-elf whoes Elven parent just happens to be a Drow. From what I have seen in the D20 books the half-elf just is a half-elf and that is how i treated in when doing her racial selection. Now for her mother a surface dwelling Drow or any other Drow I guess I could tweak the Elf template some. Any ideas?
Old 03-06-2007, 07:33 PM   #6
KSTanker

I just thought of something else. What would a Illithid or Mind Flayer look like in GURPS especially 4E.
Old 03-06-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
carllarson

Start here

http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=24826
Old 03-06-2007, 07:49 PM   #8
carllarson

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSTanker
I have a character from FR that I like to do the 4E version of for GURPS and the Woodsman just does not equate well to the Ranger for WoC's DnD 3.5. I suppose I could work up a template to develop the basic Ranger. Only thing is Silke Rahn is a fairly high level character (Ranger (9) Rogue (9) and Shadow Dancer (6)) I suspect that she would be well over 300pts in GURPS. The problem of her race is not a problem after all as she is just a half-elf whoes Elven parent just happens to be a Drow. From what I have seen in the D20 books the half-elf just is a half-elf and that is how i treated in when doing her racial selection. Now for her mother a surface dwelling Drow or any other Drow I guess I could tweak the Elf template some. Any ideas?
I'd have to remember all the class abilities, and a lot won't translate well (I have no idea how to treat bonuses to damage for Favored Enemy, although no doubt some form of Striking ST with limits would try. Ok, some idea.). Social Stigma for halfDrow, if thats in your world. Invisiblity with Glamour for HIPS? Some sort of Power build for Shadow Evade, with duration?

I've only played the 3.5 that fit Neverwinter Nights, and some d20 Star Wars and Modern. I've converted a lot tho, roughly, as above. The conversion I posted above ends up with more 'stat normalized' characters with a lot of points in skills, and some odd abilties. (One of these days, when I have a few hours, I'm going to see how Tempus Thales adds up.)

IMO, don't try a template, especially at this level. What that character has become is beyond templates, and will be quite a few points until you add disadvantages from personality and society.
Old 03-07-2007, 04:44 AM   #9
umbros

I statted a fairly good number of Realms races awhile back. If you are interested I can send the PDF.
umbros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2007, 06:25 AM   #10
Temrek

Im currently running a Forgotten Realms campaign using GURPS, although I did cut down on the magic level and power level quite a bit to fit my vision of fantasy. Its worked out very well and havent really required a lot of work on my part. Here are some FR themed racial templates I made:

Drow [24]
DX + 1 [20]
ST – 1[-10]
Per + 1 [5]
Total Darkness Adjusted Vision [0]
Extended Lifespan (x8) [6]
Improved Magic Resistance 3 [15]
Levitation (IQ + 0) [4]
Darkness (IQ + 0) [4]
Social Stigma (Monster) [-15]
Callous [-5]

Shield Dwarf [19]