Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-02-2007, 03:20 PM   #1
BabbageCliologic

Default GURPS Magic Items: Enchanted Sword +0 with only Enchant spell on it (no bonuses)

So, I'm not as familiar with GURPS 4th as I am with GURPS 3rd, but I am interested if it is possible to make an enchanted sword with no other spell on it but Enchant. Basically, I'm looking for a Sword +0 enchanted weapon.

How much would that cost to make (as Enchant in GURPS 3rd doesn't have a power cost)? Would it count as an Enchanted Weapon as far as harming creatures that can only be hurt by enchanted weapons?

If it's fairly cheap, wouldn't it also be fairly popular as a starting weapon?

Any ideas?

/BC

Visit Switching to Guns, a free role-playing game 'zine in PDF. Issues #21 & #22 Available Now!

Last edited by BabbageCliologic; 03-02-2007 at 03:22 PM. Reason: clarification
BabbageCliologic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:32 PM   #2
DrTemp

Default Re: GURPS Magic Items: Enchanted Sword +0 with only Enchant spell on it (no bonuses)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabbageCliologic
So, I'm not as familiar with GURPS 4th as I am with GURPS 3rd, but I am interested if it is possible to make an enchanted sword with no other spell on it but Enchant. Basically, I'm looking for a Sword +0 enchanted weapon.
[...]
Enchant is designed to be only one component of an enchantment. You also need some other spell or enchantment, otherwise it does not work.

You could, however, use a very cheap spell.

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens."
(Friedrich Schiller, "Die Jungfrau von Orleans")

Magic 4e Caveats
DrTemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 03:48 PM   #3
Brandy

Default Re: GURPS Magic Items: Enchanted Sword +0 with only Enchant spell on it (no bonuses)

It would not be unreasonable to extend the Puissance or Accuracy spells to have a +0 version costing something like 50 energy to cast -- probably low enough to qualify for the $1/ point guideline and cost only an extra $50.

If creatures only affected by magic weapons are common, and magical enchantment is too, then it's reasonable that some enchantment would be developed to satisfy the "enchanted weapons" requirement while providing no other benefit.
Old 03-02-2007, 04:51 PM   #4
Kaldrin

Magic is simply a descriptor, so you could have a 'magic' sword that doesn't do anything particular. If I were a GM I wouldn't allow it to affect anything, considering if something is vulnerable to magic you'd get to essentially by-pass it's protection for free...

A magic sword that does nothing magical would be a delusion in my campaigns...
Old 03-02-2007, 05:22 PM   #5
alimantando

Put a sound spell on it: Everytime it hits something hard, it magicaly produces a *klang*

Or an illusion, that makes the sword look like a sword, that looks exaktly like that sword looked before it was enchanted :-)
alimantando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 05:33 PM   #6
Peter V. Dell'Orto
Fightin' Round the World

I allow Puissance 0 to be cast on weapons. This makes them enchanted, which matters when attacking critters that can only be affected by magic items or for when passing through Force Domes and so on. I don't allow trivial non-weapon enchantments to make a weapon "magic" for purposes of damaging critters immune to non-magic weapon...you need at least Puissance +0 in my games.

Cost is 50 energy.

Works fine for me, but my games don't make it any more common - you still need to be capable of Enchant and Puissance before you can cast it, the cost is enough to require a small circle or a big powerstone to cast it.
My S&C Blog
My Dungeon Fantasy Game Blog
"You fall onto five death checks." - Andy Dokachev
Peter V. Dell'Orto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
BabbageCliologic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookman
It would not be unreasonable to extend the Puissance or Accuracy spells to have a +0 version costing something like 50 energy to cast -- probably low enough to qualify for the $1/ point guideline and cost only an extra $50.

If creatures only affected by magic weapons are common, and magical enchantment is too, then it's reasonable that some enchantment would be developed to satisfy the "enchanted weapons" requirement while providing no other benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toadkiller_Dog
I allow Puissance 0 to be cast on weapons. This makes them enchanted, which matters when attacking critters that can only be affected by magic items or for when passing through Force Domes and so on. I don't allow trivial non-weapon enchantments to make a weapon "magic" for purposes of damaging critters immune to non-magic weapon...you need at least Puissance +0 in my games.

Cost is 50 energy.

Works fine for me, but my games don't make it any more common - you still need to be capable of Enchant and Puissance before you can cast it, the cost is enough to require a small circle or a big powerstone to cast it.
Thanks Bookman and Toadkiller Dog. Puissance +0 will work perfectly. For 50 energy, that's pretty cheap for the possible good benefits.

/BC

Visit Switching to Guns, a free role-playing game 'zine in PDF. Issues #21 & #22 Available Now!
BabbageCliologic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:13 AM   #8
arigato

Why not just use a staff spell on the sword for 30$ and call it a day?
arigato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 05:29 AM   #9
Nikolai

Quote:
Originally Posted by arigato
Why not just use a staff spell on the sword for 30$ and call it a day?
Staff as written only works on organic (p. M70) / once-living (p. M13) materials.
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2007, 07:48 AM   #10
crazybear

Couldn't you place a staff spell on the wooden hilt of a sword then?
crazybear is offline   Reply With Quote