Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > SJ Games Discussion

Old 01-11-2007, 09:31 AM   #21
darksaba

Default Re: Steve's '07 plans & the report to the Stake Holders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
this. It ain't the first, and it sure ain't the last.
Does this mean that e23 stuff is going to be shipped off to the real world printers more regularly (when appropriate of course)?

So there are likely to be more Gurps 'Books' than suggested even if they're not the big hardback beasties that take up so much time?

On another note.... Huzzzah!!! It must be mine.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:42 AM   #22
JackShadow

I'm sad to see GURPS falling lower on the success chart, but it is not completely unexpected. I am very glad that Munchkin is doing so well for them. I want them to stay around because I like their products. But I stopped playing any tabletop RPGs about 4 months ago and went fully online (WoW in my case), something I NEVER thought would happen. Things and times change. I'm glad they have found some success and look forward to picking up some of the e23 products.
JackShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:49 AM   #23
Nikolai

Quote:
2007 will see two hardbacks -- Martial Arts and High-Tech -- plus close to a thousand pages of GURPS material via e23. That's a lot more than "two books."
Glad to hear that!
(Although I'm indeed not that fond of e23 *only* publications. I prefer dead tree versions for some anachronistic reason... POD versions are only in black and white and cost a lot for shipping to Germany because I can only get them in Warehouse23, not at my favourite cheap German shops. But they're certainly better than no dead tree version at all.)

So what about GURPS Thaumatology? Will that be a PDF release or was is shifted to 2008? The GURPS main page still lists it as a May 2007 release and doesn't mention anything about e23.

Could you maybe give a couple of hints what those "close to a thousand pages of GURPS material via e23" could be? ;-)

Quote:
As SJ said, Munchkin's revenue broke the 50% mark. Ask any businessman -- if one line makes up over 50% of your sales, that's what you focus on. [/i]
Yes, I can certainly understand that.
Although personally, I must say that I find Munchkin fun but don't see much need for buying more than the five supplements I already own. But obviously many others would disagree with that...
Nikolai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 09:51 AM   #24
TJP

Quote:
2007 will see two hardbacks -- Martial Arts and High-Tech
(Above emphasis mine)

Hooray for this!! I had just given all hope and resigned to the "fact", that the earliest I would be seeing High-Tech would be 2008. Glad to be wrong. Thanks Paul, this is most excellent news!

And to clarify my previous post. I meant printed books (I don't call PDFs books, I call them files). PDFs are all good and fine, but I really like my RPG material to be printed, if at all possible. But the reality being what it is, I'll take PDFs over nothing, of course. I didn't mean to whine. I was just expressing my disappointment over the lack of printed material. I am eagerly waiting the upcoming VDS and, hopefully, we might see the weapon design system this year as well (as a PDF).

Plus, extra thanks to Steve for being honest and frank with us. Much appreciated.

Last edited by TJP; 01-11-2007 at 09:56 AM.
TJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:02 AM   #25
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by MIB 1473
Or you start to diversify, anticipating that no product can stay on top forever, and that one bad release could screw your company.
Re: diversification. Yes, but that's not what you talk about in 2007. That what you plan for 2010 (and no, we're not going to publically discuss that yet).

Re: One bad release. You're underestimating the stability of Munchkin. The sales curves are rock solid, and have been going back several years. The hypothetical company-killing "one bad release" could happen, but a jumbo jet out of Austin-Bergstrom could level the building too.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:04 AM   #26
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by darksaba
Does this mean that e23 stuff is going to be shipped off to the real world printers more regularly (when appropriate of course)?

So there are likely to be more Gurps 'Books' than suggested even if they're not the big hardback beasties that take up so much time?

On another note.... Huzzzah!!! It must be mine.
Yes.

Yes, although I'd upgrade 'likely' to 'probably.'

Yes, indeed.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:13 AM   #27
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikolai
So what about GURPS Thaumatology?
Thaumatology might squeeze into 2007 as a hardback, but if not, then early 2008.

Quote:
The GURPS main page still lists it as a May 2007 release and doesn't mention anything about e23.
Yeah, there's a lot of updates that are needed, but couldn't be done until the Stakeholder's Report was released. We're working on them.

Quote:
Could you maybe give a couple of hints what those "close to a thousand pages of GURPS material via e23" could be? ;-)
Well, the VDS takes up 10-15% of that estimate. Then you've got Supers from William Stoddard. Thomas has shown an awesome proposal from our old friend Rev Pee Kitty, plus a couple of series that I'm excited about from other folks, but I'm not certain how far along those are, so I'm not going to talk about them.

Watch the e23 Wish List over the next week for updates.
Old 01-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #28
mearrin69

It is very cool, BTW, that Steve does these. The transparency is much appreciated - it's nice to know what your favorite company is up to and why they make the decisions they do.
mearrin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:33 AM   #29
Phil Masters

Quote:
2007 will see two hardbacks -- Martial Arts and High-Tech ...
You'll forgive me if I ask if those are definitely the two titles in question...
My Self-Publications: On Warehouse 23 and On DriveThruRPG.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:56 AM   #30
Paul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters
You'll forgive me if I ask if those are definitely the two titles in question...
Not at all -- Thaumatology might squeeze into 2007.