Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 01-09-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
TheQuestionMan

Default [BANESTORM] What does the capital MEGALOS look like?

The Megalosian Empire is by far the largest Empire on Yrth and the oldest.

What is the terrain like?
Hilly, swampy, Plains, Harbour, Rivers? What? It is the largest city on Yrth with the largest population? How much ground does it cover?

What is the Architecture like?
Ancient Rome with influence brought by New Comers through the Banestorm?
True Dragon Legion = Preatorian Legion?

What does the Emperor's Throne Room/Audience Hall look like?
Are there ancient enchanted weapons on the walls? Busts and statues of past Emperors and Empresses. Art, Literature, History. What does it most closely resemble?

What do the People look like?

Who are the Great Houses(Noble Families), Merchant Princes, and Knightly Orders? Who keeps the peace inside the city?

How many areans? Who's is the biggest? Who are the Champions (Past and Current?)

There are so many unanswerded questions and so much work for the GM?

Will there ever be another City Book?

Just a few questions ;)

QM
Old 01-09-2007, 12:34 PM   #2
Qoltar
Pike's Pique

Default Re: [BANESTORM] What does the capital MEGALOS look like?

The above was pretty much detailed in GURPS:BANESTORM.

Do you have a copy??

- Ed Charlton
You can't take the sky from me....

A vote for charity: http://s3.silent-tower.org/TheKlingonVotes/index.html
Qoltar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 02:00 PM   #3
LoneWolf23k

I get what he's saying.. There's a lot more room for added details about Megalos and it's contents.

For starters, I imagine Megalos proper was probably built upon the hills near the old city Simon Meneleus started from.. ...Rome was founded on Hills, right?
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 06:18 PM   #4
TheQuestionMan

Details an details. City streets, roof tops, Hwo tall are the buildings? Where do the aquaducts come from? Where do they cross? The Sewers must be something to behold.

Need information

QM
Old 01-09-2007, 09:00 PM   #5
Pmandrekar
Careful Wisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheQuestionMan
Details an details. City streets, roof tops, Hwo tall are the buildings? Where do the aquaducts come from? Where do they cross? The Sewers must be something to behold.

Need information

QM
I've proposed this sort of thing in other posts, but I think that City Books are relatively rare in the FRPG world. I can think of a few good supplements built around a single city (and almost all of them are D20, I believe) that have enough detail, enough contacts and NPC's to sustain a city campaign.

If anyone were to build such a City Book (similar to Sharn, Shelzar, Ptolus, or Waterdeep) with the GURPS System, Megalos is the *obvious* choice, from my standpoint.

Cheers,

-P.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts"- Daniel P. Moynihan
Pmandrekar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 09:15 PM   #6
benz72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmandrekar
If anyone were to build such a City Book (similar to Sharn, Shelzar, Ptolus, or Waterdeep) with the GURPS System, Megalos is the *obvious* choice, from my standpoint.

Cheers,

-P.
Or we could start with Tredroy and just update and flesh out what was left unresolved in the 3e supplement (actually, that might genarate enough interest for a reprint....)
Old 01-09-2007, 10:35 PM   #7
Dormammu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pmandrekar
I can think of a few good supplements built around a single city (and almost all of them are D20, I believe) that have enough detail, enough contacts and NPC's to sustain a city campaign.
If you like to use other supplements and convert them to your needs, Hârn has a lot of detailed cities (though small ones). You might find an old copy of Pavis from RuneQuest's second edition, or buy the reissue (this is one honking big city if you count the ruined old city). You can use those old supplements like "Butcher, Baker, Candlestick Maker"... who made those again? Of course, none of these is specific to Megalos, but there have been many RPG supplements on cities that have nothing to do with D20.
Dormammu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:37 AM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I strongly suspect that at least one of the cities to be presented in Fantastic Cities will be from Yrth, though Tredoy is more likely than Megalos, since it seems to be a more popular adventure location.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 03:38 AM   #9
jSarek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding
I strongly suspect that at least one of the cities to be presented in Fantastic Cities will be from Yrth, though Tredoy is more likely than Megalos, since it seems to be a more popular adventure location.
Assuming the cities are named and not generic ("Decadent Imperial Capital"; "City in the Sky"; "Neutral Ground"; etc.), I'd definitely expect Tredroy and . . . what was that other city-book that was always on the far horizon? Abydos? Probably that one. But I'm sure there'd be room for Megalos in there, too.
jSarek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 10:17 AM   #10
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by jSarek
Assuming the cities are named and not generic ("Decadent Imperial Capital"; "City in the Sky"; "Neutral Ground"; etc.), I'd definitely expect Tredroy and . . . what was that other city-book that was always on the far horizon? Abydos? Probably that one. But I'm sure there'd be room for Megalos in there, too.
I had the impression that beside generic city rules there would be three worked examples in Fantastic Cities, however I may be wrong. Weren't there irreconcilable legal problems with Abydos?
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote