Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-21-2006, 11:04 AM   #1
Akahige
Banned

Default Pincers?

There don't seem to be many threads about pincers, and each write-up I saw seemed to be different. Though I suppose there would be some variation based on species, what are the general rules for creating pincers?

I intend to use this for both insect-men and crab-men, though the latter would have one significantly larger "fighting claw". Arm ST seems a little too broad; Crushing Attack (Melee; ST-Based) is what I considered next; Constriction Attack sounded good too, but requires "no hands". Or would it be just Claws?
Akahige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:47 AM   #2
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.
Default Re: Pincers?

Just Claws, in my opinion.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:16 PM   #3
Akahige
Banned

How would you represent the "I can crush coconuts with my extremely muscular right hand" ability of a crab-man? It's certainly not just +1 damage from Claws. Is there a "Hands Only" limitation for Arm ST?
Old 12-21-2006, 01:24 PM   #4
JoelSammallahti

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akahige
How would you represent the "I can crush coconuts with my extremely muscular right hand" ability of a crab-man? It's certainly not just +1 damage from Claws. Is there a "Hands Only" limitation for Arm ST?
If it's not a manipulator, could you represent it as a Striker? Striking ST with the One Attack Only limitation?
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 01:37 PM   #5
Akahige
Banned

I think it actually is a manipulator (though with Hamfisted), so it wouldn't qualify for Striker, but otherwise, I think Striking ST with One Attack Only would work. One Attack Only uses examples of "your bite, a particular Striker, etc.", so I don't think it precludes adding it to a hand or claw.

Now I just need to know why there's no related option for Lifting ST. It seems to me that the giant claw would also aid in grappling, wouldn't it? Perhaps I should just take the percentage modifier from One Attack Only, apply it to regular ST, and call it "One Hand Only".
Old 12-21-2006, 03:50 PM   #6
SCHIFTY

Wouldn't One Attack Only be using that Striker in one particular way? The crab claw could be used to crush/hold, and could also be swung for crushing damage.
Old 12-21-2006, 06:25 PM   #7
Verjigorm

Location: Charlotte, North Caroline, United States of America, Earth?

Pincers arn't fine manipulators, however.
Verjigorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2006, 11:45 PM   #8
Akahige
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Verjigorm
Pincers arn't fine manipulators, however.
I have to disagree, since No Fine Manipulators describes it this way: "You have no body part more agile than paws or hooves. You cannot use your limbs to make repairs, pick locks, tie knots, wield weapons, etc., or even to grasp firmly."

Now, if I'm using the wrong term, please correct me. I meant "pincers" as in claws, not mandibles.
Old 12-22-2006, 01:40 AM   #9
Der Wanderer

Well, what are your Pincers supposed to do?

They are hard, and can be used to club foes to death:
That is either Blunt Claws or when they are really big IA (Cr; ST-Based), the latter would also permit you to do swinging damage...

Foes as well as coconuts can be crushed with the pincers:
Binding (Constricting +75%; Melee C -30%)
Thx to the layering of the binding the crushing force would increase every round... so you could easily crush a coconuts. This is "slow" at low levels of Binding but can become extremely fast crushing at high levels of binding...
Depending on the nature of the pincers a Temp. Disad. One Hand / NFM should be added to the binding.

The pincers are big and though and act as a small shield:
Enhanced Defense +1 (All) [30]
Depending on the No and location of the pincers this might get modified by Directional and Temp. Disad. One Hand

My pincers are (almost) indestructible:
DR (Pincers Only)
or
Stretching* 1 (Temporary Disadvantage (short Arms) -0%); Arms Only; Force Extension)
*This assumes that your hand(s) are the pincers

Pirates Small Pincer [-9]
Instead of a left hand the pirate has a pincer...
Claws (Blunt) [3]
One Hand [-15]
Binding 1 (Constricting +75%; Melee C -30%; Only on Objects of no more than 10 cm diameter -20%) [3]

Crab-Mans Huge Left-Hand Pincer [53]
Crab-Man has a huge Pincer instead of his left hand, with this hand he can easily snap iron bars and severe limbs but it also acts as small shield and he can block attacks with it...
IA 1d (Cr; Melee (ST-Based (sw/thr); C,1) +80%) [9]
Binding 10 (Constricting +75%; Melee C -30%; Unbreakable +40%; Nuissance Effect (You can be moved with your binding) -5%) [36]
Enhanced Defense +1 (All; Directional (Front/Left) -20%) [4+8+12 = 24]
One Hand [-15]
Unnatural Feature (Huge Claw) [-1]

EDIT: The binding would also need a Nuissance Effect (because a large/strong enemy can carry you around)

Last edited by Der Wanderer; 12-22-2006 at 02:19 AM.
Der Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 06:21 AM   #10
tbone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akahige
There don't seem to be many threads about pincers, and each write-up I saw seemed to be different. Though I suppose there would be some variation based on species, what are the general rules for creating pincers?
For the curious, my old version of pincers at http://www.gamesdiner.com/gurps/GULL...body.htm#Claws :

Blunt Pincers [5], +2 to crushing damage from grip
Sharp Pincers [10] As Blunt Pincers, but damage is cutting

Pincers are hard, ridged surfaces on hands (or the equivalent) that increase damage from grip when choking or crushing, like a lobster's large claw. Sharp Pincers are a lobster's small claw, or scissors. Both are variants of the Claws advantage. No fancy derivations for point costs; they're eyeballed from 3e cost of Claws.

If you need crushing rules to go with that: http://www.gamesdiner.com/gurps/GULL...at.htm#Choking

Sorry, I haven't yet looked into how that could all be better done under 4e.

Twitter: @Gamesdiner | RSS: here ⬅︎ Updated RSS link | This forum: Site updates thread (occasionally updated)

(Latest goods on site: GLAIVE Mini levels up to v2.4. Update to melee weapon design tool, with more example weapons and commentary.)
tbone is offline   Reply With Quote