Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-03-2006, 05:49 PM   #1
Rasputin

Default Hex space for bipedal creatures

How much space on a hex grid does a large bipedal creature occupy? Say, if we're talking a SM +3 giant, how many hexes does he occupy, and what is their layout?

My GURPS blog.
Rasputin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:02 PM   #2
Gavynn

Default Re: Hex space for bipedal creatures

I know there were charts for the number and arrangements of hexes different creatures took up in third ed. I am about to convert to 4th ed and was actually wondering if all those charts were in the 4th edition rule books. Anyone know?

Gavynn
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:19 PM   #3
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavynn
I know there were charts for the number and arrangements of hexes different creatures took up in third ed. I am about to convert to 4th ed and was actually wondering if all those charts were in the 4th edition rule books. Anyone know?

Gavynn
No. 3e described creatures in hexes and included a size modifier, 4e now only uses Size Modfier. Who knows if the 4e version of Bestiary will include a "hexes" conversion.
cccwebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 07:57 PM   #4
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs
No. 3e described creatures in hexes and included a size modifier, 4e now only uses Size Modfier. Who knows if the 4e version of Bestiary will include a "hexes" conversion.
Campaigns has hex diagrams, but they are for horizontal creatures. (Page 392.) For individual creatures, it lists the number of hexes along with the Size Modifiers.

FWIW, it was 3e lacked the Size Modifier.

My GURPS blog.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:48 PM   #5
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin
Campaigns has hex diagrams, but they are for horizontal creatures. (Page 392.) For individual creatures, it lists the number of hexes along with the Size Modifiers.

FWIW, it was 3e lacked the Size Modifier.
OK, I see where the number of hexes are now, but 3e also had the Size Modifier (albeit you had to look it up on the range/speed/size chart). There just doesn't seem to be a "conversion" table.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:19 PM   #6
Gavynn

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gavynn

Gavynn

Oh. I thought I remembered seeing a horse and an elephant in particular diagramed out on the hexes they took up somewhere in 3rd ed. IDHMBWM though, so I guess I was mistaken. Anyway, I am glad to hear that 4th ed does have some hex diagrams in the campaign book. I am about to pick that book up. I am going to be having custom hex bases made for my miniatures to play GURPS with, so I certainly need to consult that text.

Gavynn
Gavynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:42 AM   #7
Rasputin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cccwebs
OK, I see where the number of hexes are now, but 3e also had the Size Modifier (albeit you had to look it up on the range/speed/size chart). There just doesn't seem to be a "conversion" table.
Even 3e didn't have too many examples. Really, it would be nice for Bestiary or some book to just have some diagrams in the front, like "3 hex bipedal" and "14 hex horizontal," show them at a few angles on a hex grid, then make sure the creatures therein can conform to an example alredy given or show such a creature's layout right there.

What I sought when I started this thread (and still now seek) was some sort of guide by Size Modifier for a bipedal creature. Say, at SM +3, a bipedal creature (a big honkin' giant) takes up 3 hexes in a circle, a SM +6 creatire takes up 7 hexes. I'm not that up on human measurement, though a game-effective 2 hex high and 1 hex left/right and front/back seems a rough measurement, albeit a bit fat for my tastes.

My GURPS blog.
Old 11-04-2006, 02:46 PM   #8
Hai-Etlik

For something human shaped, I'd say roughly (h^2)/4 hexes, where h is the height in yards.
Hai-Etlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 04:58 PM   #9
cccwebs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasputin
Even 3e didn't have too many examples. Really, it would be nice for Bestiary or some book to just have some diagrams in the front, like "3 hex bipedal" and "14 hex horizontal," show them at a few angles on a hex grid, then make sure the creatures therein can conform to an example alredy given or show such a creature's layout right there.

What I sought when I started this thread (and still now seek) was some sort of guide by Size Modifier for a bipedal creature. Say, at SM +3, a bipedal creature (a big honkin' giant) takes up 3 hexes in a circle, a SM +6 creatire takes up 7 hexes. I'm not that up on human measurement, though a game-effective 2 hex high and 1 hex left/right and front/back seems a rough measurement, albeit a bit fat for my tastes.
The problem is that the "hex footprint" can vary due to body shape. The best way to determine the "hex footprint" is to determine length/width and then draw the animal to a 'template'.
As for "adjusting" a human, well I'm 5'10" with a width of 2' at the shoulders and a shoe size of 10 1/2 US (or about 11" heel to toe). Upgrading me to a SM +3 would mean a height of about 21', a width of about 7' at the shoulders and a foot size of about 3'; or roughly a 2 hex creature with a head centered between the hexes.
Old 11-05-2006, 03:42 PM   #10
Rasputin

Thanks for the last two comments.

My GURPS blog.