Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > In Nomine

Old 10-22-2006, 07:14 AM   #1
ScaredofScissors

Default INS/MV No More?

A while back I picked up a copy of INS/MV 4th edition (it turns out there's a game store in Montreal that stocks it and ships to the states), just to see what it was like and where IN got its original mojo. Anyway, my French isn't so good, and the text is kinda jargony, so I ended up putting it aside.

Fast forward to recently, when a fellow joined our gaming group who's fluent in French. That got me to take another look at INS/MV (really in the hope that he'd help me out with the text)...

Well, today I wandered over to the Asmodee site HERE; it seems as though Asmodee will only be publishing one last supplement and then they're putting the game to bed (unless my French is really, really bad and that's not what they're saying at all).

How might this affect the SJGames version, if at all?
ScaredofScissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 11:33 AM   #2
Fade

Default Re: INS/MV No More?

As the opinion of a fan, not an official answer:

I'd say this won't affect the Steve Jackson Games version of In Nomine in the slightest. The setting and mechanics all diverged significantly from the original French game by the time the first set of the core rules were published, and it's now being done in PDF format anyway. In my (admittedly limited) experience, there are very few people who are actually fans of both versions.
Fade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
ScaredofScissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade
As the opinion of a fan, not an official answer:

I'd say this won't affect the Steve Jackson Games version of In Nomine in the slightest. The setting and mechanics all diverged significantly from the original French game by the time the first set of the core rules were published, and it's now being done in PDF format anyway. In my (admittedly limited) experience, there are very few people who are actually fans of both versions.
I didn't mean in terms of content or style, since I know they're already divergent. I was thinking in terms of licensing; not that I can see Asmodee willing to turn down money from SJGames, if they should wish to continue.
ScaredofScissors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 09:15 AM   #4
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fade
In my (admittedly limited) experience, there are very few people who are actually fans of both versions.
Agreed. One of my players was downright rebellious when he discovered that I intended to use IN(SJG), while another would have rebelled if I hadn't done so.
Old 10-27-2006, 07:01 PM   #5
Archangel Beth
In Nomine Line Editor

One of my authors, Genevieve Cogman, is pretty good with French (and yes, INS/MV is very slangy!) and likes both versions. However, she writes for meeeeee, muwhahhaahaaa!

*ahem*

I'm not at liberty to discuss licensing verbiage and whatnot. But, as far as I know, INS/MV's "aliveness" or lack thereof should have no effect on what's going on with "IN/SJG." The slowness of our line is simply grinding against the curse. (You people may think I'm kidding. I think that there's a reason my Powerbook's external drive (it was already running on backup, whilst I waited for spousal tech support to install a new internal one) decided to fail when I was getting the official job of editing up Asmodeus and picking out suggested art for him.)

(Anyway. While there's clearly been borrowing back and forth even after the core rules were adapted (the Beleth-Blandine romance backwashed into INS/MV, according to my sources), the basic world-views of the two versions are pretty much incompatible except in the little details like that.)

Tags
meta