Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-28-2022, 11:17 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Call for Playtesters: GURPS Template Toolkit: Spirits

We are seeking playtesters for GURPS Template Toolkit: Spirits, by Rory Fansler. This is a 25- to 30-page guide to creating "racial" templates for spirits. It includes step-by-step advice, relevant abilities, and worked examples.

Applicants should have experience with using GURPS Template Toolkit 2: Races to design racial templates, and with the powers discussed in GURPS Powers: Totems and Nature Spirits. Familiarity with the spirits in such works as GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 5: Allies, GURPS Dungeon Fantasy 9: Summoners, and GURPS Horror would be an asset, as would knowledge of focused guides to template creation for specific classes of entities (e.g., GURPS Zombies). However, we value fresh perspectives, so as long as you're conversant in GURPS abilities (this project is "crunchy"), feel free to apply!

The playtest is currently scheduled to run for at least two weeks, from April 11, 2022 to April 25, 2022, and may run longer. Please submit your application ASAP.

Preferential playtest slots will be given to those who have spent at least $50 on PDFs from Warehouse 23 in the past calendar year, though this is not a requirement. For more, see the general playtest information page.

Prospective playtesters should email Roger Burton West at pt-tt-spirits@firedrake.org with [playtest] in the subject. Include your preferred email address for the closed playtest mailing list, your name as you wish it to appear in the published supplement, your Warehouse 23 login name, and a few words on why we should pick you: qualifications, experience, current gaming group(s), etc. Please use this format:

Code:
shaman@animist.org
Monica Allison
scarygoth101

I've been a fan of GURPS for about 20 years, and own every one of the supplements in your call for playtesters. I run a GURPS Horror campaign with lots of spirits, and design new spirits all the time. In real life, I studied spirits while earning my anthropology degree, practice a shamanic religion, and had a grandmother who was a psychic medium.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 01:38 PM   #2
Refplace

Default Re: Call for Playtesters: GURPS Template Toolkit: Spirits

Yay!
As the author I would like to add a bit for potential playtesters.
This supplement has two primary purposes.
1. Making building spirits fast and easy for the GM (or spirit summoning PC) using a template and lens system.
2. Making spirits a bit more interesting as foes or even PCs by adding a few things and clarifying others. Spirits can be given race type and class or role type templates in order to assist the GM in quickly building a spirit to a specific need.

A few other things are introduced or expanded upon but this supplement is very stat heavy. We will want a lot of math checking!
Also if your familiar with spirits in fiction, folklore, and even RPGs that would be helpful to see what roles I missed or might be done other ways.
Thank you,
Rory Fansler
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:48 PM   #3
maximara
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Yay!
As the author I would like to add a bit for potential playtesters.
This supplement has two primary purposes.
1. Making building spirits fast and easy for the GM (or spirit summoning PC) using a template and lens system.
2. Making spirits a bit more interesting as foes or even PCs by adding a few things and clarifying others. Spirits can be given race type and class or role type templates in order to assist the GM in quickly building a spirit to a specific need.
Sounds great. Right now using converted Classic: Spirits has some issues and is kind in a file for everything and everthing in its file state.
Help make a digital reference for GURPS by coming to the GURPS wiki and provide some information and links (such as to various Fanmade 4e Bestiaries) . Please, provide more then just a title and a page number.
maximara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 04:29 PM   #4
Farmer

This will fit in really well for a campaign I have at the moment - really looking forward to the release!
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 09:29 AM   #5
Blind Mapmaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximara View Post
Sounds great. Right now using converted Classic: Spirits has some issues and is kind in a file for everything and everthing in its file state.
I can only second that. Spirits was one of the first things I converted to 4th edition and it would be great to have something that could stand in for and enhance all of (or most of) its mechanics.
Old 04-01-2022, 10:56 AM   #6
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Mapmaker View Post
I can only second that. Spirits was one of the first things I converted to 4th edition and it would be great to have something that could stand in for and enhance all of (or most of) its mechanics.
Spirits have always been a favorite of mine and GURPS gives us so much potential to use them more and in ways different from other RPGs. Its been a personal mission to explore and expand that capability, GURPS Powers: Totem and Nature Spirits was just my first step.

I tried for compatibility with existing builds for as many spirits as possible in Fourth and Third edition while using a template and lens system that makes building them pretty quick. Also devoted a page or two at the back for a full table listing al the templates and lens by category and showing the cost. So once a GM is familiar with the templates and names they favor the most that should be all they have to look at for a specific build.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries

Last edited by Refplace; 04-01-2022 at 11:00 AM.
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2022, 11:20 PM   #7
dataweaver

Just saw this; here's hoping my submission isn't too late.