Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-23-2021, 05:57 PM   #1
MaryAnn
Banned

Default Design: Help me create groups and characters to align with PC and bring down this NPC

Help me create teams of characters capable of doing harm to this NPC. This can be done in any way possible: bankrupting her businesses, killing her, ruining her reputation, kidnap, etc. Characters can be whoever they want, and entire teams can be created. Intelligence agencies, military organizations (although she is on very good terms with the United States Department of Defense and the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation), terrorist groups, charities or non-governmental associations, religious groups, rival companies, individuals who disdain her for whatever reason ... Nothing is off limits.

Character Stats (her ST score, if she's wearing the Iron Man, is 26, and DR increases by 22 points vs. cutting and piercing damage while she is wearing her Nanoweave Tacsuit) REUPLOAD in another website

Brief description of the NPC:

Quote:
Jane Israel Stark Tesla, nickname "Isa", is a billionaire industrialist, a founding member of the Private Space Mining Fleet for Earth, and the CEO & Chair of Adventure Industries. A brash but brilliant inventor, Sasha is self-described as a genius, billionaire, playgirl, and philanthropist.
Spoiler.
Over a century old and looking like a college-age girl, she has pretended to be dead for decades and keeps people at bay playing the role of being her own offspring. At present her identity is Jane Israel Tesla Stark, nickname "Isa", mechanical engineer and sole heir to the family fortune, but her real name is Aleksandra "Sasha" Nikolayevna Romanova and some intelligence agencies around the globe link that identity to Grigori Rasputin and The Last of the Tsars (although the latter is part of Conspiracy Theories, since she is officially her ancestor).

Quote:
Isa is one of the world's most powerful people and enjoyed the playgirl lifestyle for many years until she was kidnapped in Palestina by a joint effort pf the Freedom Fighters for Israel and the IRA, while demonstrating a fleet of "Apocalypse Now" missiles.
Spoiler.
With her life on the line, she created an armored suit which she used to escape her captors. Upon returning home, she utilized several more armors to use against terrorists and help on the defense of Israel, as well as in putting an end to the Cold War.

Quote:
Since then Isa has become a very private woman and has disappeared from the public eye after she resigned to a promising career in the music industry a few years before her mother's death, and right after releasing her famous album "Starships" and graduating in mechanical engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT).
Spoiler.

Actually, after successfully introducing her new identity, she no longer needs to promote it publicly as much. Currently, she is too busy planning to soon lead the energy production and distribution market, her main objective being the hostile acquisition of NextEra Energy.

The rules for character creation are as follows:

Quote:
1) The technology level is 8. The setting is based on the real world, covid included, with some changes:
  • In computer technology there is a virtual metaverse (Fantasia) in the style of "Ready Player One".
  • There are healing baths in which the upper class can receive rejuvenating and regenerative treatments of the "Wanted" film type.
  • Anti-aging drugs, recreational mind-control technology as in "Gamer", and androids as in "Detroit: Become Human", are widespread.
  • The Space Race between the United States and Russia was primarily instigated by Sasha/Isa, who played an essential and leading role in the space travel and is a pioneer in the space mining industry. Her company is envisioned as an hybrid of Weyland Industries from the Alien franchise and Tyrell Corporation from Blade Runner (it occupies such diverse places as Tesla, Toyota, ExxonMobil, Lockheed Martin and Raytheon Technologies).
  • Mike Markkula was not Steve Jobs' first angel investor, instead, a friend of Sasha's was the main partner to Jobs, and Apple was born as a subsidiary to Walt Disney. Microsoft was the subject of hostile takeover during the dot-com bubble. The result is a mixture of Abstergo Industries from the Assassin's Creed franchise and Gregarious Simulation Systems from Ready Player One, with a touch of the movie "Gamer" in the form of the game called "Society", runned by one friend of Sasha/Isa.
  • The biggest player in the pharmaceutical industry is a company run by another friend of Sasha/Isa. This company is similar to the Umbrella Corporation of the Resident Evil franchise and takes the place of large multinational companies such as Pfizer, Johnson & Johnson, Amgen, Biogen and Gilead Sciences.
  • Sasha/Isa and her friends' companies are responsible for the covid, having been their objective to carry out the hostile takeover of numerous companies through the brief collapse of the financial market in 2020.
Quote:
2) Humans can spend a maximum of 50 points on skills (increasing to 70 if IQ is 14, and to 100 if IQ is 15). Androids can spend up to 150 points (and they surely will). Cutting edge androids have a bonus skill pool of 50 points. Skills can be purchased up to a maximum relative level (RSL) of +5 on the underlying attribute.
Quote:
3) Exceptional characters (such as members of the special forces, elite athletes, academics of recognized prestige, etc.) can spend a maximum of 150 points (the average is 0) on attributes (15 is the maximum score), talents (4 is the maximum score) and other Physical or Mental Advantages (only those that are not marked as supernatural or cinematic can be purchased). Perception and Will attributes are decoupled from IQ. The sum of Attributes, Advantages and Talents cannot exceed a score of 16 for the calculation of the underlying skills.
Quote:
4) Androids have a fixed score of 11 IQ points, 12 ST points, 13 DX points, and 11 HT points, as well as the Advantages Absolute Direction, Doesn't Breathe, DR 5, Machine, Payload 1, Photographic Memory (Recorded data only), Protected Vision and Radio (Burst; Secure). They also have the Disadvantages Electrical, Restricted Diet (Very Common, power cells), Maintenance (one person, bi-weekly), Reduced Consumption 2 and Unnatural Features 1. Per's score is 13 and Will's is 11. Cutting edge androids get bonuses of IQ+1 and HT+1.
  • If they are Non-Volitional they have the meta-traits Automaton and AI, plus the advantage Indomitable.
  • If they are Volitional (an exceptional circumstance which, if discovered by the manufacturer, will take the robot to the nearest workshop by force and any means necessary) they only have the AI meta-trait.
  • Robots specially designed for stress work can have a bonus of up to ST + 3, according to the following approximations in terms of their physical specifications:
    • Arnold Schwarzenegger in Predator; ST + 3
    • Christian Bale in Batman, Henry Cavill playing Superman, Wesley Snipes in The Expendables, Hugh Jackman in The Wolverine, or Chris Hemsworth playing Thor; ST + 2
    • Jason Statham in Transporter, or Donnie Yen in Ip Man; ST + 1
Quote:
5) Social Advantages can be purchased with a point limit of 4.5 per year of age, unless the character has no other job than socializing, in which case the limit increases to 6.75 points per year.
Quote:
6) Physical and Mental Disadvantages give points that can be invested in Physical and Mental Advantages. The same can be said for Social Disadvantages, but these only provide other Social Advantages.
Quote:
7) Techniques only need to be purchased once. The characters are presumed to be able to transfer their competence to any other possible skills.

Last edited by MaryAnn; 08-24-2021 at 01:16 AM. Reason: Typos. Reupload.
MaryAnn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 06:54 PM   #2
Inky

Default Re: Design: Help me create groups and characters to align with PC and bring down this

I'll say it now before anyone else does: having NPCs do most of the work in defeating the bad guy seems to risk making your players think they're a bit sidelined, unless you're intending to let the players actually control these characters as extra PCs once they've recruited them, as in some computer games, or unless the players' role is more to be generals working out how best to deploy their various different NPC "chessmen" and they're aware of that.

With that out of the way, I'll look over Isa's stats and have a think about possible cunning plots to foil her. Are you looking for suggestions about just ways it could be done, or are you hoping for people to make up actual groups and characters to save you a bit of the work, like in the Worldbuilding Game threads? Your question comes at rather a coincidental time, since I've been reading Doc Savage books online and my mind keeps going to trying to think up tactics for heroes to thwart the Doc. He takes some thwarting.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:28 PM   #3
Hide

Default Re: Design: Help me create groups and characters to align with PC and bring down this

Mary, can you upload the character sheet in another website so it is easier to download?
Old 08-23-2021, 07:59 PM   #4
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAnn View Post
Help me create teams of characters capable of doing harm to this NPC. This can be done in any way possible: bankrupting her businesses, killing her, ruining her reputation, kidnap, etc. Characters can be whoever they want, and entire teams can be created. Intelligence agencies, military organizations (although she is on very good terms with the Ministry of Defense of the United States and the Ministry of Defense of the Russian Federation), terrorist groups, charities or non-governmental associations, religious groups, rival companies, individuals who disdain her for whatever reason ... Nothing is off limits.
Technically, the United States does not have Ministries; this is a British, Commonwealth, and to some degree continental usage. The United States has a Department of Defense, headed by a Secretary of Defense.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 08:17 PM   #5
Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Technically, the United States does not have Ministries; this is a British, Commonwealth, and to some degree continental usage. The United States has a Department of Defense, headed by a Secretary of Defense.
And as a side note, those with a Ministry mostly spell it "Defence" rather than "Defense" :-)
All losses are restored and sorrows end."
Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2021, 11:12 PM   #6
MaryAnn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hide View Post
Mary, can you upload the character sheet in another website so it is easier to download?
Yes, I updated the main post with the reupload. Here it is: REUPLOAD.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:14 PM   #7
MaryAnn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Oh, okay. It is written as "United States Department of Defense" in the character sheet (with the S coming directly from Wikipedia).
Old 08-23-2021, 11:16 PM   #8
MaryAnn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inky View Post
Are you looking for suggestions about just ways it could be done, or are you hoping for people to make up actual groups and characters to save you a bit of the work, like in the Worldbuilding Game threads?
Both of them actually. It is a nice coincidence then that it has coincided with a good time to brainstorm.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:28 PM   #9
whswhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAnn View Post
Oh, okay. It is written as "United States Department of Defense" in the character sheet (with the S coming directly from Wikipedia).
Well, yes. The S is perfectly correct.

Old 08-24-2021, 12:05 AM   #10
whswhs

Some year back I ran a campaign, Sovereignty, whose premise was that the high-end supers of the world, the ones powerful enough to threaten a national government, had become legally recognized as sovereign states without territory (other than their personal residences, which were treated as embassies). The player characters were members of a team sponsored by NATO, individually not at the same power level, who had the mission of stepping in when sovereigns went rogue and needed to be restrained. The character you describe seems like someone who could be the focus of such a mission.