Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-30-2021, 08:26 AM   #1
Kromm
GURPS Line Editor

Default Call for Playtesters: GURPS Vehicles: Biremes and Triremes

We are seeking playtesters for GURPS Vehicles: Biremes and Triremes, by Carolyn Stein and Stephen Kenneth Stein. This 30- to 35-page sourcebook takes an in-depth look at classical and medieval galleys. Contents include historical context, naval terminology, details on crewmembers, and of course vehicle stats.

On the real-world side, we are looking for applicants knowledgeable about classical antiquity, medieval antiquity, and/or the warships of those eras. On the GURPS side, we are seeking gamers conversant with GURPS Low-Tech, the GURPS Low-Tech Companion series (1, 2, and 3), and the stats system used for vehicles in these and other works, starting with the GURPS Basic Set: Campaigns. Familiarity with the GURPS Hot Spots volumes covering Mediterranean city-states would be a plus. That said, it's always good to get a fresh perspective – if you think you have something to contribute, then by all means apply!

The playtest is currently scheduled to run for about three weeks, from August 13, 2021 to September 3, 2021. Please submit your application ASAP.

Preferential playtest slots will be given to those who have spent at least $50 on PDFs from Warehouse 23 in the past calendar year, though this is not a requirement. For more, see the general playtest information page.

Prospective playtesters should email Roger Burton West at pt-vehicles-biremes@firedrake.org with [playtest] in the subject. Include your preferred email address for the closed playtest mailing list, your name as you wish it to appear in the published supplement, your Warehouse 23 login name, and a few words on why we should pick you: qualifications, experience, current gaming group(s), etc. Please use this format:

Code:
johann@lepanto.com
John East
admiralj

I've been a GURPS fan since 1995, and mainly run historically themed campaigns set in Europe. I was a playtester of GURPS Vehicles and both editions of GURPS Low-Tech, and I own all of the GURPS books you listed. I also do naval reenactments, and have served as crew on a replica Venetian galley.
We look forward to hearing from you!
Kromm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2021, 07:33 PM   #2
ravenfish

Default Re: Call for Playtesters: GURPS Vehicles: Biremes and Triremes

I probably won't be joining this particular playtest, but, for future reference, would the preference for people who bought $50 worth of PDFs on Warehouse 23 be construed to include people who spent equivalent sums on the GURPS PDF Kickstarters that SJGames has been running?
Old 08-01-2021, 12:37 PM   #3
Steven Marsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenfish View Post
I probably won't be joining this particular playtest, but, for future reference, would the preference for people who bought $50 worth of PDFs on Warehouse 23 be construed to include people who spent equivalent sums on the GURPS PDF Kickstarters that SJGames has been running?
That would certainly count from my perspective (and I'm generally high on the list of folks who give the final go-aheads). :-) However — unlike W23's database — those numbers aren't as immediately conjurable for me, so they're a wise thing to include in any application. (Just a quick note along the line of, "I'm not sure if I've hit the $50 threshold at W23 this year, but I know I packed the GURPS PDF Challenge. The email I used there is [blank]" is fine.)

Basically, all things being equal between prospective playtesters, one who's purchased our products recently is more likely to be current on the latest developments in GURPS thought, versus one who last bought a PDF from us pre-Star Wars Sequel Trilogy. But we don't hold hard and fast to that, and if an applicant is otherwise qualified or has interesting skills/knowledge to contribute, we welcome them with open arms. (Well, open mailing lists, but still...)
Steven Marsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:14 AM   #4
ravenfish

Thank you. I'll bear that in mind when a playtest comes up that I feel more qualified for.
Old 08-29-2021, 11:39 AM   #5
muduri

I'd just like to note my (and undoubtedly my players') infinite enthusiasm for this supplement. Just a month ago I had to rely on web sources to create deck plan combat-map posters for a TL2 Fantasy / DF bireme (including stabs at questions like, what elevation are the rowing positions at?; where are the trade goods stored?; how are those funny outrigger decks actually structured?) and am very excited to update the print with all information here when the book is released.
muduri is offline   Reply With Quote