Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-27-2006, 01:49 AM   #1
Anders
Banned

Default Gimme your Perks!

Yes, it's a new installment of the perks threads (in other words, I couldn't find the old one...)

Living Calendar

If given a date you can automatically calculate what week-day it was. You automatically take leap-year (if such a thing exists in your world) into account. In a human, this is most probably a form of intuition - you just see the result. For an AI, you may very well calculate the thing but anyway it's lightning fast.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:00 AM   #2
Captain-Captain

Default Re: Gimme your Perks!

Intimidating Appearance (Perk: +2 to Intimidation Skill) The specific character write up this came from gave the character a ghostly appearance, but other intimidating appearances are possible. 'Max the Guard' from the solo adventure 'All in a Night's Work' was assigned this descriptor but no appearance modifier was given.
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:22 AM   #3
Anders
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
Intimidating Appearance (Perk: +2 to Intimidation Skill) The specific character write up this came from gave the character a ghostly appearance, but other intimidating appearances are possible. 'Max the Guard' from the solo adventure 'All in a Night's Work' was assigned this descriptor but no appearance modifier was given.
I don't know, buying this normally would cost 8 points (assuming you had a high level already)...so you might want to limit it somewhat.

Bug Repeller
Bugs avoid you. For some reason, they don't like your smell. In humid climates you'll never be bothered by mosquitoes, won't catch malaria, etc. However, if you bother them (rattling a wasp nest, putting your foot into a boot with a resting scorpion, etc) then they will attack.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 02:25 AM   #4
Der Wanderer

Perk (Can turn his Telekinesis visible)
very handy for hand signing etc...

The result of simple math:
TK 1 costs 5 CP
TK 1 (visible) as alternative ability costs 1 CP
and you don't need more than one level of visible TK to make it all visible...
Old 06-27-2006, 02:45 AM   #5
Gurps Fan

Weighing Scale (Physical/Mental, Mundane)
You know the exact mass of the object you have with you. If it's a light object you can lift with one hand, you get the value with accuracy to within a gram. Additionally, when you have two objects with each hand, you can always tell which one is the heavier, regardless of how small the difference is. If you're lifting a heavy object that requires both hands or full body, you weight it to within a pound.
Gurps Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 03:49 AM   #6
hjo3

I think small, insignificant Gizmos would make good perks. E.g. Gizmo (Cigarette), Gizmo (Handful of candy), etc.
hjo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:56 AM   #7
Atreyu_Hibiki

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjo3
I think small, insignificant Gizmos would make good perks. E.g. Gizmo (Cigarette), Gizmo (Handful of candy), etc.
In a previous thread, Kromm has given Gizmo: One Useful Item as a perk. The object in question was, I believe, a knife that a character always had, even if he was strip-searched and thrown in jail. The utility of always having a knife is far less than always having whatever you need, which is what Gizmo normally does for you.
Atreyu_Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 07:03 AM   #8
Der Wanderer

Zatoichis Blindness
You appear to be blind (white eyes, perfect acting of a blind man etc...) and therefore people tend to underestimate you or are careless in your presence thinking you are a harmless cripple.
Old 06-27-2006, 07:41 AM   #9
blacksmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Wanderer
Zatoichis Blindness
You appear to be blind (white eyes, perfect acting of a blind man etc...) and therefore people tend to underestimate you or are careless in your presence thinking you are a harmless cripple.
This is done in other ways. I am not sure if you can take that enhancement to 360 vision that is non visual.
blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 08:08 AM   #10
Gudiomen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asta Kask
Bug Repeller
Bugs avoid you. For some reason, they don't like your smell. In humid climates you'll never be bothered by mosquitoes, won't catch malaria, etc. However, if you bother them (rattling a wasp nest, putting your foot into a boot with a resting scorpion, etc) then they will attack.
I love this one, great inspiration. Life's litte bothers are the best source of inspiration for perks, I think.
Let me have a go:
Jar Opener
You can allways open jars of jam, pickles and the like. No pot is safe from you, while others would have to apply complicated lever mechanisms, decompression and banging on the bottom, you simply pop them open.
Yes, I know this is silly, but think about it. Useful!

Toilet Paper Clarvoyent
You never forget to check if there's toilet paper before you sit to do what has to be done. Furthermore, you allways know when your stock of toilet paper is about to run out. You can allways guess how many "uses" of toilet paper are left in a roll. You have a knack for shoping for toilet paper and allways find cheap and comfy toilet paper.

Living Lexicon
You have incredible domain of your native language and any other language you know. You never need a dictionary or a lexicon, you can figure out the linguistic roots of words by instinct. Your spelling is allways perfect. This might get you a +1 in Writing, in a situation where spelling is important or a -1 with people who think you're snotty. If you're a kid, you allways win Spelling Contests.
Gudiomen is offline   Reply With Quote