Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-22-2006, 06:13 AM   #1
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Very High Pain Threshold and Immune to Pain

How do these look?

Super High Pain Threshold [20]
You never suffer a shock penalty when you are injured. In addition, you get +8 on all HT rolls to avoid knockdown and stunning and if you are tortured physically, you get +8 to resist. The GM may let you roll at Will+8 to ignore pain in other situations.

For the purposes of Knockdown and Stunning only, Major wounds require twice as much damage as normal (the same amout as dismembering a limb). Injuries to the brain and vitals don’t cause an unmodified roll unless they do more than ½ HP. Being Crippled doesn’t cause a Knockdown and Stunning roll but Dismemberment does. Immune to moderate pain, -1 for Severe Pain, -2 for Terrible Pain. Agony still gives -3 but you don’t lose any fatigue*.

*I’m assuming that even with High Pain Threshold you still pay the fatigue.

Immune to Pain [30]
Immune to Shock.
Immune to Knockdown and Stunning rolls.
Immune to Pain and Agony conditions.
Immune to Pain-Based torture.

Remember: Knockdown isn’t being knocked down because of the force of the blow (that’s Knockback); it’s falling down because it hurts sooooo much.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:32 AM   #2
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Default Re: Very High Pain Threshold and Immune to Pain

They seem to me very balanced and potentially useful, even if obviously cinematic (except perhaps in some very special cases).
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 06:48 AM   #3
zorg
Experimental Subject

If HPT is in fact a special case of Resistant: Pain/+3 (basic p.80/81) (at 1/3 cost), then the second level at +8 should cost 15 CP, while the final level (Immunity) would be 30 CP.

Just nitpicking, really :)
Old 06-22-2006, 09:26 AM   #4
Fnordianslip

Looks good to me. In fact, I may just have to tack that on to my list of advantages for use in cinematic games. Well thought out and it looks balanced from my vantage.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:32 PM   #5
Bruno

Clarifying somethings here...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NineDaysDead
For the purposes of Knockdown and Stunning only, Major wounds require twice as much damage as normal (the same amout as dismembering a limb).
I'd write this as "You only take Major Wounds from injuries that cause HP damage in one blow, not ½ HP like normal folks."

Quote:
Injuries to the brain and vitals don’t cause an unmodified roll unless they do more than ½ HP.
Injuries to the Brain and Vitals don't normally require Knockdown/Stunning checks unless you take a Major Wound (½ HP) for regular folks - you just get a -10 or -5 penalty on the check IF you have to make it. Do you mean "You do not take the normal penalties on Knockdown/Stunning checks caused by Major Wounds to the skull and vitals hit locations?" (note that it's called "skull" and not "brain" in 4e).
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg
If HPT is in fact a special case of Resistant: Pain/+3 (basic p.80/81) (at 1/3 cost), then the second level at +8 should cost 15 CP, while the final level (Immunity) would be 30 CP.
I though about that, but my way has the virtue that each level costs 10 points, so if you're playing a race with High Pain Threshold (Like an ogre or troll) you could spend 10 points, and have a troll who has a high pain tolerance (Super High Pain Threshold) even by trollish standards. So a higher pain tolerance than is standard for your race always costs 10 points. Still, you're right, if it's a form of resistance, Super High Pain Threshold should cost 15 points.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:05 PM   #7
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno
Clarifying somethings here...
Quote:
For the purposes of Knockdown and Stunning only, Major wounds require twice as much damage as normal (the same amout as dismembering a limb).
I'd write this as "You only take Major Wounds from injuries that cause HP damage in one blow, not ½ HP like normal folks."
But twice the normal amount isn’t 1XHP. The normal amount is “Greater than ½ your HP”, for a 10 HP guy that’s 6 HP, so twice that would be 12 HP. I wanted it to be the same as dismembering a limb, since being crippled no longer causes a roll.
Quote:
Quote:
Injuries to the brain and vitals don’t cause an unmodified roll unless they do more than ½ HP.
Injuries to the Brain and Vitals don't normally require Knockdown/Stunning checks unless you take a Major Wound (½ HP) for regular folks - you just get a -10 or -5 penalty on the check IF you have to make it.
No. If you take enough damage to cause a shock penalty (1 point for creatures in the 1-19 HP range) to your Head or Vitals you have to make an unmodified (no -5 or -10) Knockdown and Stunning HT roll, see page 420. You get the penalties (-5 or -10) if it’s a major wound to the Head or Vitals.
Quote:
Do you mean "You do not take the normal penalties on Knockdown/Stunning checks caused by Major Wounds to the skull and vitals hit locations?"
No. I mean you don’t have to roll, unless you take at least ½ HP. If I meant what you’re suggesting, I’d have written “you’re only stunned on a 17 and knocked unconscious on an 18” because with a +8 to the roll and no penalties, that what it would amount to. Which isn’t a totally bad idea actually, but it would mean your Head and Vitals wouldn’t be more sensitive to pain than the rest of you. I’m not sure how I feel about that.
Quote:
(note that it's called "skull" and not "brain" in 4e).
Well if you going to be nitpicky, its refered to as "the head (skull, face or eye)" on page 420. ;)

Last edited by NineDaysDead; 06-22-2006 at 02:42 PM.
Old 06-22-2006, 02:10 PM   #8
Bruno

<snips all kinds of stuff about Knockdown that she'd missed entirely>

Oh HOH! Oh, this is good, I did not know this. I obviously have to reread this section again. And again. And again...

Thanks!
Bruno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2006, 03:25 PM   #9
Captain-Captain

Just to stir up the pot here:

High Pain Threshold (Cosmic +100%) [20]. vs Super High Pain Threshold [20] vs High Pain Threshold (Cosmic +300%) [40]
...VVVVVVV
..^^^^^^^

A clock running two hours slow has the correct time zero times a day.
Captain-Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2006, 04:01 AM   #10
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
Just to stir up the pot here: High Pain Threshold (Cosmic +100%) [20]
I assume you’re talking about “Cosmic: No roll, +100%”? I’ve suggested it before, but I now think it doesn’t work; I think “Cosmic: No roll, +100%” is only for things that give you a new type of roll, something that normal people don’t get (like Empathy, Innate attack, Intuition or Warp), otherwise you could do stuff like: Hard to Subdue (Cosmic: No roll, +100%) [4], and never lose consciousness for 4!!!!! Points. (If you think never losing consciousness could be disadvantageous you can always throw in “switchable +10%” for a total cost of 5 points)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain-Captain
High Pain Threshold (Cosmic +300%) [40]
There doesn’t seem to be a +300% version of cosmic that relates to High Pain Threshold, there only seems to be “ignores DR” and “No active defence”.

Tags
the weird