Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-21-2006, 05:25 AM   #1
zorg
Experimental Subject

Default Techno-Wizard Template

The fusion of Magic and Technology is an old hat, really, but quite interesting. Here's another 200-CP Template for you to enjoy and/or criticize.

Techno-Wizard [+200]

Attributes: IQ+1 [+20]; Per-1 [-5]
Advantages: Technomagic Energy [+9]; Techno-Wizardry [+23]; Master of Technomagic [+100]; Quick Gadgeteer [+50]; Fearlessness 1 [+2]; Gizmos 3 [+15]
Disadvantages: Chose –15 out of: Greed (12) [-15]; Miserliness (12) [-15]; Obsession (Finish my Magnum Opus); Absent-Mindedness [-15]
Note: I added Fearlessness for two reasons: one, anyone who dabbles in this weird field would better not be a coward, and two, I needed 2 CP to bring the guy up to 200 CP.

Technomagic Energy [+9]
Energy Reserve 10 (Magic Only –10%; Recharges one point per day –60%) [+9]

Techno-Wizardry [+23]
Magery 0 [+5]; Magery 3 (Technological College Only –40%) [+18]

Master of Technomagic [+100]
Cosmic Modular Ability 50 [+100]
(Only for: Affliction *) -50%; Requires IQ roll –10%, Accessibility: Requires costly stuff + workshop –30%) [2/level]

*) All Afflictions must have these modifiers: Malediction 1, Touch-Based; Extended Duration: Permanent; Preparation Time: One hour; grants Advantages**)

**) All advantages granted must have these modifiers: Gadget-Based, Magical, Costs FP

Notes: You can create Devices which can grant any advantage, as long as it is magical. These devices can only be used by those with some sort of Magery (simulated by “Can be stolen, won’t – usually – work for the thief”), and they remain functional indefinitely. To create such a device, you need at least an hour, as well as a workshop equipped with expensive machinery and technomagic paraphernalia.
It is probably easiest to afflict oneself with the created Gadgets. If an Affliction fails to work (because the character fails his HT roll), this can be explained by design flaws which need to be corrected for another try. As soon as the Affliction works, the Gadget is created and can be given away. Note that Extended Duration: Permanent means that the Gadget is a permanent creation, which remains even if the CMA pool is rearranged.
Note that the target of these Afflictions is not a device, but a person. To empower a device instead, the Affliction would have to have the “Accessibility: Only on Machines”, and the granted advantages wouldn’t need to be Gadget-Based. This way is also feasible, but not the one I chose.
To create experimental Gadgets, simply add Unreliable or even Uncontrollable.

Examples:

Electricity Generator [+20]
Create Electricity 5 (Gadget-Based (DR6-15; Repairable; Can be stolen by force, SM-7) –30%; Magical –10%; Accessibility: Only usable by M0+ -30%; Costs 2 FP –10%) [4/lvl]

Create Electricity Generator [+48]
Affliction 1 (Touch-Based Malediction 1 +80%; Electricity Generator +200%; Extended Duration: Permanent +150%; Prep Time 1 hour –50%) [48/lvl]

Stealth Module [+12]
Invisibility (Switchable +10%; Gadget-Based (DR6-15; Repairable; Can be stolen by DX, SM-7) –30%; Magical –10%; Accessibility: Only usable by M0+ -30%; Costs 2 FP –10%)

Create Stealth Module [+40]
Affliction 1 (Touch-Based Malediction 1 +80%; Stealth Module +120%; Extended Duration: Permanent +150%; Prep Time 1 hour –50%) [40/lvl]
Old 06-21-2006, 11:55 AM   #2
Gadrin

Default Re: Techno-Wizard Template

Interesting, have you any sample characters made from it ? I haven't made GURPS characters in quite some time.

I used the Technomage Template that came with GURPS Technomancer for a campaign and I must say the NPC I built was an amazing wizard. I ran the campaign at TL 8 (3e) and it was a lot of fun. I don't think any of the players were wizards though (it's been a few years).

I had corresponded with one of Pyramid members about doing an actual Tech-based magician -- not using magic but high technology to simulate it, ala the Technomages of Babylon 5. Of course once the Technomage Trilogy came out it kinda shattered that as some of the abilities were just plain supernatural as the books couldn't offer an explanation of what was being done. Still it was a fun time, taking apart Ultra Tech I/II and seeing what tech based "magic" we could come up with to simulate various spell effects.
Gadrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2006, 12:22 PM   #3
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadrin
Interesting, have you any sample characters made from it ?
Sadly, I have not, since I won't get around to RPing before moving to another city next month. I'll have to find new players first :(
However, I would do all these 200CP-Templates as 300CP-Characters, so that they would have 100 CP to customize. Pretty powerful, but they are cinematic, anyway.

Quote:
I had corresponded with one of Pyramid members about doing an actual Tech-based magician -- not using magic but high technology to simulate it, ala the Technomages of Babylon 5.
I had thought about the Technomages of B5, too, some time ago. Based on the series alone, I would have given them holographic technology, computer skills and considerable sleight of hand. I don't know the Technomage Trilogy, so I can't comment on that
Old 06-22-2006, 08:38 PM   #4
Gadrin

well, if you have any more ideas post them. I'd be interested in your thoughts, even if it's just gadgets.

I used the Microbot Swarms from GURPS Robots (THS was just coming out IIRC) and between actual magic spells, enchanted items and some of the brainstorming we used for the "Technomages" the NPC was fairly formidable at around 400 points or so. I think I have him and the correspondence saved on my archive disks, someplace.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:35 AM   #5
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadrin
well, if you have any more ideas post them. I'd be interested in your thoughts, even if it's just gadgets.
Well, do you have Powers? Simply apply "Gadget-Based" to any of the sample abilities on p.136+, and you're pretty much set.

btw, I think this character template is *very* powerful, since given a bit time, he can increase his point total quite a bit...
Old 06-23-2006, 08:36 AM   #6
Gadrin

no I don't have Powers.

I did use a few non-canon spells from the Codex Arcanum, using spells like
Network/TL or the "TeleNet Terminal Program" and of course the Manastar Sentient OS from Technomancer.

I think we developed a "Ley Line Machine" that used a Laser cannon from GURPS Vehicles and a "Bend Light" spell and the technomage could then draw extra power (like beamed power) whenever he was in range of the device and needed it, although I don't think he had to use it. It was the counterpart feature to Crusade's "Place of Power".
Old 06-23-2006, 05:43 PM   #7
Atreyu_Hibiki

I'm shocked at you, zorg, considering all the work you've submitted for it, for not directing friend Gadrin to the 50-point Abilitiy Thread when he asked for potential gadgets. The vast majority of them will work marvelously with this Technowizard, after adding appropriate Gadget Modifiers to them.
Atreyu_Hibiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 01:21 AM   #8
zorg
Experimental Subject

I bow my head in shame.