Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-09-2020, 09:52 AM   #1
ChillGM

Default Epic Hero Academy! Suggestions/Campaign Notes

Hey Y'all!

So I've GM'd GURPS a few times and im doing a relaunch of one my pre Covid campaigns, Epic Hero Academy.

The first session is the audition to get in, the players have to actually impress the recruiters the school sends and then the first "Quest" at the school which is sort of orientation/comedy.

This academy was established by the original band of heroes who banished the dark lord millennia ago [roll history/theology for more lore], though he returns every 1000-2000 years and the new millennium is right around the corner . . . .

Naturally the campaign will have a roleplay focus on character development, interpersonal drama/group drama, and of course adventuring.

I plan to use the improvement through study rules with a few tweaks to keep things exciting/interesting. The party has some magical interests and potential [the smith's son has Magery but no spells]

Any questions/suggestions from people who are interested in running a similar campaign/arc or have done so before are welcome if all goes well with work schedules our first relaunch session should be good to go next Tuesday! We have a few returning players and one total new comer to gurps.

Will this be a tale of spell and sorcery? A tale of gallantry and romance in troubled times? An epic of battle and bravery? Or more hogwarts/my hero academia? That is up to to the players! [Mostly]

I would be happy use this thread as a sort of public campaign log if anyone is interested in my players adventurers/shenanigans.

Thank you all for your time and have an awesome day!
ChillGM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Default Re: Epic Hero Academy! Suggestions/Campaign Notes

One tweak (from worminghall, which might be a useful book for you to grab) for advancing characters at schools is to treat school as a job (as in monthly job roll) which rewards hours of study rather than monthly income. See worminghall for the fully worked system. I've found that tweak greatly improves the learning by study rules.

Just putting that out there.

Good luck with your game!

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:59 AM   #3
whswhs

I ran such a campaign in my Worminghall setting, using the rules for study on a monthly basis that I introduced in that supplement and generalized in Back to School (they're based on the rules for monthly job rolls). You might find them worth a look.

The scholastic fantasy genre is one I've been fond of for a long time.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 09:13 PM   #4
ChillGM

Wow so I have never heard of Worminghall and my GURPS library has no settings books just the "expansions". Would either of you care to share more about it? It sounds interesting.

So while the school as a job is interesting the students are hard capped at a max of 8 classroom hours per day, they can also have jobs at the school and most do. Fatigue penalties apply! Lots of classes [some intensive training!] AND a job take a toll on a teenage dreamer even if they get 8hours of shut eye they might find that by Friday they are looking at the quest board with 7/10 fatigue points [or worse]! Energy potions exist but careful about overuse!

The academy itself has high quality teachers and a sort of time dilation during classroom hours on the main campus during main school hours there is actual reasons for this dating back to . . . . [roll history] and this is all due to the sacred realm mana slipstream affecting the space-time [roll thaumatology].

Most of the tweaks I had made were to make book keeping more easy/streamlined on my end. For example default advancement through study is to multiply the hours spent based on the type of study, instead i track the number of hours spent in class [at the end of the week] and offer a roll to possibly have a eureka! moment and learn said skill early. How many hours needed for a point depends on the difficulty of the skill and quality of the class. The Eureka! roll is done at 20-25% [depending on points need because easy math] of the total class time to learn it intervals with a penalty to what the default would be for new skills or the current skill level. This is done on friday before the weekend adventure[s] to keep things a little exciting and maybe give a boost! Note that hours spent are tracked based on the "quality" of the class hence how many are needed to earn a "bonus point" worth of learning. These points are "banked" so to learn the skill early without a roll simply spend the remaining points buying it at a discount.

Here is how it tends to look on my end. In the example we will use an average skill that requires 4 points to advance to the next level

Example Mcgee

Broadsword [dex+2]

0/4 Points

90/100 hours

Sooooo why is it only 100 hours for a point? Because martial weapons classes are all intensive training! A typical weapons class is two hours and with five school days in week hey we will be at 25% Friday! [2x5=10 hours per week] Roll current skill -5 [did you pass?] If so congrats you gained the skill early your teacher is proud, classmates happy [& your rivals jealous] and you gained 80 quest points [the schools currency check your comms crystal for your current balance]. If not well gosh if you want to spend the remaining 3 bonus points or just keep training till you get the opportunity to roll again or GAH! Eventually just learn it through time spent in class.

Also side note natural healing rates are enforced sooooooo if you got banged up on your weekend adventure well you are politely excused [or barred for more determined students] from your more intensive or physically active classes until your healed up [minimally more then 1/3 your hitpoints but its the teachers call not yours].

Skill learned are also banked as bonus points for their dependent attribute up to 70% for strength/health 75% for dex/int so the last 3-5 points are on the player to study/pay. General studies [to raise int] takes about 150 hours per point so its halfway to intensive training, and takes a whopping TWENTY points Gaaaaaaasp. The formula for how many points get "banked" for an attribute 1/2 rounded down minimum 1. So for the first level in a skill its 1 second level also 1 but once you start paying 4 points per level it gets banked at 2 per level! Yeah attributes are still a crawl but constant slow progression. The same is true for dex though strength and health are tied to a single class that is intensive training raising both at once but at 400 per point as it gets invested in both attributes. Ah General Fitness the bane of all those scrawny mages once the teachers noticed they aren't even trying to learn anything martial/sweaty, hey don't snicker too loud if you know whats good for you! Besides it builds character and [to the mages] more importantly puts some more fire in your heart and mana in your soul. [God's are always watching this sacred realm after all]

Remember students are hard capped at a max of 8 class hours a day [to ensure the quality of learning never slips/prevent student burnout]. However STUDENTS ARE BANNED FROM DROPPING CLASSES until you gain a skill level you are locked into the class, even if the cute girl already left and the new guy smells a bit.

Side note the school doesn't have grades you either pass a class [the teacher notices your skill improve] or you need to keep trying. However they do track how many classes you have passed which guilds and clubs really pay attention to!

Oh yeah guilds and clubs whoooo boy you want a social life right? You don't? Just want to load up on classes to make those numbers go up? Well you can but stress [due to workload and life] oppose fatigue and will penalties if your not getting R&R so balance is key [according to that GM anyway play how you want] though have you heard of self control rolls?

I mean there is a bar . . . . and you know you only get one free meal a day but the tavern is always lively your crush hangs out there and the first pint is free!

The fighters guild is always friendly if a bit errr ROUGH the mages can seem aloof but some of them seem nice in an . . . . eccentric sort of way the folk from the rangers guild are hard to get know [and read] but once you befriend one their steadfast though they like to hang around those acolytes, knights and templars . . . . just don't anger the wardens, yeah there aren't many "rules" at the academy but the student body has a habit of sorting itself out [we are "heroes" after all] yeah the rangers and those lawful good guys [or lawful good gals brother sister fraternity/sororities] have a lot of common ground magic is sacred and so is nature after all. Rangers make the best bridges! Not for rivers you fool for factions and groups of people! You think the fighters and magi would ever hangout together otherwise? Well the taverns dying down but remember you need quest points to eat doesn't matter who your daddy was before you got here you got to earn your keep and hard work brings sustenance. Hey did you hear about the fighters guild associate [rank 0 guild affiliation] Gran Melee? Its the last weekend in every month and you get paid even if you lose . . . . though the crowd is watching so don't chicken out and anger your team BIG payout if you win though not to mention Fame!

Oh by the way I am the type of GM who asks for will saves in social situations depending on the character [a single point in acting/public speaking effectively negates stage fright] this is often more amusing then harmful and everyone gets it eventually.

So like I said thank you so much for the suggestions I am all ears for more, while I think I have a general idea of how things will go I may have recruited another player at work today and well I am always [mostly] pleasantly surprised by my group so I expect the unexpected.

Feel free to steal these ideas/systems if you like but if you make it better you simply must come back and tell me ;D
Old 10-10-2020, 09:14 AM   #5
whswhs

Worminghall is specifically a medieval university (in that era, the students would have been aged 14-21) with a Faculty of Magic along with the more usual faculties (Arts, Law, Medicine, Canon Law, and Alchemy). It provides a guide to a student day and career, with rules for how much you learn per month and term; it has a city map, and writeups of some notable buildings; it has biographical sketches of a number of faculty members; and it has suggestions for managing the economics of instruction and of daily life.

My having written it may have contributed to my being asked to write GURPS Social Engineering: Back to School, which has more general rules for learning and teaching.

There's a Miskatonic University supplement for Call of Cthulhu with ingenious rules for allocating time among courses, social life, and other activities. You might find it worth a look.

I don't think we're in Oz any more.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 10:11 AM   #6
Phantasm

And of course, there's always GURPS IOU, though that's a 3e product. Shouldn't be too hard to convert to 4e.

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2020, 05:59 PM   #7
ChillGM

Thanks y'all!

I've never converted from 3rd edition but people keep saying its easy any tips? What is IOU i've heard interesting things about board rooms and curios is it similar?

From what you've told me of Worming hall it seems interesting and I will likely pick it up :D the campaign is essentially run week to week so time management of student life shouldn't be too hard . . . . shouldn't be will definitely look into it regardless.

Fun fact from the last campaign one player took overconsumption as a disadvantage only to realize in game he had a lunch HOUR instead of a lunch break like most students, he was clever enough to turn that into ample opportunity for social time though. One less class per day [less skill growth] but more social roleplaying, he felt smart and actually roleplayed it so all is well that ends in fun.

Just as an example of how I tend to handle/personalize things for my players for time management oriented campaigns.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:30 PM   #8
ChillGM

All right guys its been awhile but I *FINALY* got the campaign of the ground and we ran a first session with the new group. Not sure who all is still interested but here ya go!

If the group had a "Group Skill" it would be Carousing and Brawling so already we have a somewhat rowdy bunch of wannabe heroes, the other usual skills are climbing, acrobatics, running and hiking. The players were all told that there would be a swim test as part of the entrance exam so all the characters have points in there as well.

First up we have Alec son of the town weapon smith and a minor magi, a strong [13] and curious young man he holds himself to a code of honor to defend the weak selflesy and with heroism. Born with the gift of magery inherited from his mother she taught him a foundation of magical theory along with the language of ancient magic, but no actual spells having being told to learn more about magic and spellcraft on his own. He's also pretty tough for a young blood with 17 hit points, his player is a returning veteran of my campaigns and has actually been through a different version of this introduction adventure before but has promised not to spoil anything for the two new players we have.

Next we have Nathan and aspiring BATTLEMAGE from a family of pyromancers, his family being all magical pushed him to learn fire magic sooner rather then later and his understanding of magic as a whole has suffered [8]. Though by enforced dicipline, brute force rote memorization, and much practice he has learned Flame jet and its prerequisites [11]. Aside from those notable skills he is something of a generalist bows, crossbows, and broadswords. Decently fit with 12 health and 12 strength. His player is again a returning veteran who has done a version of this introduction adventure before and won't spoil anything for the two new players.

Third we have Coal, a baby found near the mines and ostensibly raised there. An absolute unit at 15 strength and 20 hit points he selflessly protects those he cares about though his time in the mines has robbed him of a sense of smell or taste. The man to party with at 15 carousing and beast in a bar brawl at 14. A real strongman with 14 lifting and a real badass with a war hammer [two handed axe/mace 14]. Though his time in the mines has left him with less of a chance learn and grow intellectually [8] he will have some catching up to do at the academy. He is a pseudo brother to Alec the town weapon smith being a frequent trade partner and father figure to young a Coal, given that his other father figure was his mentor at the mines whom taught him to use war-hammers he ostensibly has two dads! Interestingly enough the only character with first aid or any healing skill for that matter [10]
Coal's player is veteran of RPG's and DM but is new to Gurps.

Last but not least we have Prate, son of a lawyer and psychologist he is naturally charismatic [lvl 2] and an aspiring bard competent in public speaking, diplomacy, enthrallment, & persuade. Fit and with an Eiditic Memory he has a pretty good head on his shoulders with common sense, though he is xenophilic which could get him into trouble . . . .
Prate having befriended a monk/merchant from across the western ocean and over the years become adept at using the Sai [14] which he has chosen to pair with a shield. Additionally he is also a light foot when it comes to stealth [12].
Prate's player is new to both RPG's and Gurps as a whole but is eager to learn and all around great guy to have around.

So with introductions out of the way lets move on to the campaign log!

Our aspiring band of heroes story begins as it so often does with the group gathered in the tavern the morning of the audition. Alec asks one of the girls for a kiss for good luck before he sets out and succeeds on a carousing check earning him a smile and quick peck on the cheek.

The group soon sets off to a field outside of town near the pond with nothing but the clothes on their back and see three large tents set up with some training equipment and areas roped off around them. The first tent having a red standard flying above it with a shield crossed by a sword what appears to be a fighting ring on the side with some martial related training gear, the second tent has a green standard above with a bow & arrow crossed over each other and finally the third tent has a blue standard with jeweled staff with a wand crossed.

Coal immediately set off towards the tent with a red standard and is greeted by a gregarious young man named chad wearing what appears to be the schools uniform. Chad immediately smiles compliments Coal's size and tells him he would fit right in with the fighters guild at the academy then welcomes him to meet some of the other members hanging around.

Coal thanks him and notices that while he himself is 6'7" and 250 pounds of raw muscle there is in fact someone bigger then him in the training area and asks Chad. Chad asks him if he really wants to fight "The Dragon" and coal says yes heading off to the only person he has to look up to and asks him to spar. The dragon a bronze skinned wall of meat and discipline agrees and the two head to the small fighting ring, the dragon removes his shirt to reveal a plethora of intricate tattoo's naturally i asked coal to roll intelligence to identify them and while he didn't pass he knew enough that they were religious in nature but couldn't identify what stories or deities they were from.

As opposed to a combat tutorial [that would come later in the adventure] I simply asked him for a brawling roll to see if he could hold his own. Which coal passed but even though THE DRAGON was only sparing coal zigged when he should of zagged and caught a love tap for four points of damage. The dragon says that while Coal can definitely hold his own he could learn a lot in the fighters guild and should consider signing on when he gets into the academy. Coal agrees and the dragon tells him the people he actually has to audition to a by the pond. Coal nods and the dragon claps him on the shoulder and says "See you in church brother" before leaving.

Next up is Alec who Chad greets the same way, they get to talking and Alec mentions he is an apprentice weapon-smith chad lights up saying that they always need new smiths and points to a guy inside the tent telling Alec to go chat with him. Alec agrees and gets along great with the other weapons smith, having passed an Armory roll to talk shop for a while and show him what he knows [a smithing demonstration would take hours and thus not appropriate]. The smith says he'd be a great fit and since they always need weapons and repairs promises that if he gets in he will try and make arrangements to get him moved out of the dorms and into the guilds main barracks ASAP saying things are a lot better there. Alec is delighted and the smith tells him the people he has to audition to are down the hill and by the pond.

Instead he heads to the blue tent and is greeted by a simple "sup" from a surly figure in a hooded black robe. Alec politely introduces himself and tries to strike up a conversation but the magi snaps his fingers and cuts him off asking him a direct question on magical theory [thaumatology roll passed] Alec answers and the figure is more polite chatting for a bit before cutting him off AGAIN with a more difficult question [roll passed] the mage smiles and says he can tell by his aura he has the gift of Magery and asks what spells he knows. Alec says he's just a smith and doesn't know any, the mage says he has the makings of an enchanter but thats a long hard road but well worth it, he says *IF* he makes it in he'll catch up with at the academy and properly introduce himself saying he might be able to make it in the mages guild pointing him to head down the hill to the pond. Alec does so.

Next up is Nathan who decides to approach the Magic tent and nervously introduces himself to the surly hooded figure who cuts him off and asks him magic trivia like before Nathan doesn't do so hot but the surly figure keeps chatting with him Nathan tries to him he's a pyromancer say "Firomancer" instead and is bluntly corrected by the snippy mage. He asks if he knows any spells and Nathan mentions "Flame Jet" the once snippy mage seems a lot more friendly all of a sudden and says he knows another pyromancer over hanging out over by the Fighters Guild tent. So they walk over . . . .

And that is how Nathan, learned how "The Dragon" earned his name he sees the tall man with tattoo's [failed the roll to identify them] and is then asked to "Show him what he can do" they walk back to the mages tent in a cleared area and Nathan [despite his nerves] successfully casts flame jet! The dragon smiles mumbles something under his breath then BELLOWS A CONE OF FIRE FROM HIS MOUTH!!! This catches some of the grass on the outside of the area but the dragons flicks his wrist and sharp gust of wind puts it out. The dragon says he has potential and tells him to go meet the people by the pond. Nathan does so. The Dragon says farewell by clapping him on the shoulder and saying "See you in church brother." before heading back to the fighters tent.

Finally we have Prate who gets along great with Chad and mentions that he can use a Sai, Chad isn't familiar with the sai but says the guy in karate gi over by the ring might be. He heads over and mentions using an opponents momentum against them in the conversation, the man in the gi says thats a judo technique and asks if he knows or would like to learn. Prate says that he doesn't but would like to learn. So once in the sparing ring the man in the gi says to try and bring him down . . . . Prates player didn't roll too well so got tossed around for a bit before being told the fighters guild is the place for people looking to fight and told to go head down to the pond to try and get in.
Old 11-28-2020, 04:31 PM   #9
ChillGM

It should be noted that Prate's player is still new but did a great job still getting the hang of "In character" vs "Talking out of character" and how that relates to npc's but it's all good and he's having fun. Also side note this all happened out of order but is being told "In sequence" to make the log easier there was a lot of jumping back and forth between characters at different locations.

Coal is the first to arrive and somewhat bluntly greets the three figures in black robes [no hoods] the first being a tall well built man, the second a raven haired woman, and the third being an older grey haired woman. They chat for a bit Coal is asked why he wants to join & why they should accept him. Coal says he's big and strong came from the mines wants a better life and to help people. The grey haired woman asks for demonstration of strength and shapes the earth into a small boulder with magic. Coal excelled at his lifting roll lifts it over his head and hurls it shattering it back into the earth. The man simply smiles and says fighters guild and they ask him to swim some laps. He passes and they ask him to swim a few more to "Get a better time" [Coal smells like a miner and doesn't know to bathe often having no sense of smell] he passes again and is told to go one of the small tents for an interview.

Next up is Alec who is a bit more outgoing and makes small talk with the trio before being asked the same questions he says he wants to strike out on his own become a hero and help people. The man says that's a good story but not a new one and tells him its time for the swim test. He has the sense to undress first then passes and they tell him to go one of the tents with an open flap [after getting dressed].

Now we have Nathan he was more then a little nervous introducing himself to the trio and they are much softer and ask him less direct questions, the conversation sort of fizzles out and they tell him its time for the swim test.

Nathan failed the first roll, okay struggling a bit try again CRITICAL FAILURE fortunately there was a lifeguard to save him from DROWNING but his words of encouragement of "It's okay buddy everyone has trouble sometimes why don't you catch your breath and try again" were not as encouraging in the tone of OMG please don't die next time.

Now we have Prate, he started off strong with a charming introduction but well remember that bit of in and out of character from before? Well you see for the "Tell us about yourself" questions he covered dads a lawyer mums a psychologist and then more or less out of character read interesting bits of his character concept and mentioned hidden identities alter egos and being able to sneak around. While great as a character concept not something you want to say in an interview for a school . . . . I as the GM wasn't quite quick enough to make the common sense intelligence roll to warn him [which he failed] but did let him salvage it by saying maybe his character could phrase that better with a diplomacy roll, which he passed fortunately. The group his player a quick crash course in how that might be taken by the npc's and to think of it like talking to another person in real life. I could see something click, the player was in good spirits about it and we all had a bit of a laugh.

Now whether we like to admit it or not in one context or another we have all done this. I have done this when I first got into the hobby, I am proud of the player for taking it in stride and using it as a chance to learn and laugh. Now back to the campaign log.

So Prate manages to charm them the trio purses their lips with a smile and just nod and tell him it is definitely time for the swim test Prate also has the sense to undress first and he passed.

Nathan has past some health rolls to recover and gives the swim test another go, it has been established that this is *MANDATORY* to get in. He passes the roll collects himself then is told to go wait in the tent.

Afterwards we do an in character interview with the PC's and it goes smoothly. I had more questions prepared but I felt offering the players that there character just does the interview after the first few would go well, which they went with for the most part. So part in character part summarized

Coal mentions his lack of an education and a hope for one and the raven haired lady tells him she'd be happy to make arrangements for a study group with some of the magi as tutors, she mentions that they could do with more exercise and asks him to befriend them and get them in shape. Coal agrees.

Alec talked a lot about his motivations and asked questions relating to enchanting and learning spells to the delight of the older woman with grey hair.

Prate was charming and when they asked if he'd pursue an education in law surprised them by saying no that he wanted to become his own hero.

Nathan's was a bit more quite but held his own and seemed eager to work with both the fighters guild and the mages guild.

After the interviews the party assembled outside and were handed their invitations to the academy, simple letters held with a mysterious red seal . . . . and not to open it. The ceremony for those who passed would be mid afternoon they were to say their good byes and depart immediately afterwards.

The players asked about the promised starting gear and all I said was the ceremony was coming up.

So they examine the seal don't really pass and all they can tell is its associated with the "God of Roads" [as far as they can remember] has a magical aura with rune marks for "hidden" and "Path" the magi can tell there is more to it but cant make heads or tails of it.

So naturally they head to the tavern, Nathan chats a bit then heads to spend what time he has left with his family, the rest PARTY!

Critical success from Coal on carousing, Prate was a close second and Alec joined in with a solid pass! AHO! Half the towns drunk before noon Prate tries to convince the bartender to comp them some drinks but he says since they filled his tavern with mugs full of booze *THEIR* drinks were on the house. SCORE!

So with Prate on hand to dissolve bar fights before anything actually pops off [no rolls needed] all goes well Coal drinks most under the table and passes a health check to not show up to the ceremony plastered.

The ceremony is held at the local church [the school and church are close knit to say the least] the PC's are treated to an uplifting speech by the trio who interviewed them and at the end they ask those close to them in town to honor them before they leave.

The mysterious mercenary from Nathans past gives him a crossbow and a quiver of bolts.

The monk bows and gives Prate a Sai.

Alec's father first gives Coal a proper Warhammer [hammer on one end pick on the other] then *GASP* leaves the stage!

He soon returns with an ornately decorated fine quality presentation grade short sword for his son Alec, its immediately obvious his father had spent quite some time working on this in secret. It was intended as a birthday gift then he realized he might want to be a hero so waited to see if he made the cut, failing that he would have received it on his next birthday.

Final farewells and last good byes are said before the group of young soon to be hero's leaves town with the only instruction to wander with the intention of finding the academy into the early evening sun.

This is where we decided to end our first session.

Fun was had by all and the group seems to have really come together, i see this campaign going well. The rest of this first session was planned to be the remainder of the adventure but as of leaving town we had roughly an hour left and so decided to just hang out and leave it there as a good launch point for the next week.

Again this retelling is a bit more organized then the actual session jumping back and forth but this is the gist of what happened omitting a few details for length.

I hope you all enjoyed this first session campaign log and am eager to hear your thoughts.

I'm sending a link to this page for all my players hopefully you guys will make an account and join in on all the forum fun : )