Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-10-2020, 11:31 AM   #21
TGLS

Default Re: PDF Challenge Mix and Match (66 Combos)

Combination 13A: Read the Stars
13) GURPS Reign of Steel: Read the Sky and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 3: Deep Night and the Star

The pirates (or perhaps the whole town) are actually cultists and the abbey is over a portal to Atoep. While Elder Things are no friend of robots, letting them in would probably be worse. It's probably necessary to have a (possibly mad) survivor who can explain what you need to do to stop Atoep. Replacing the soup with Chowda and relocating to Maine is optional.

Combination 13B: Deep Night's Sky
13) GURPS Reign of Steel: Read the Sky and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 3: Deep Night and the Star

Tenby is the same as it was. On the other hand, our heroes quick escape has dropped them nearby. Post-Final War Britain is likely familiar enough to Dungeon Fantasy denizens to fit in, and possibly lull them in to a false sense of security until someone pulls a gun on them.
TGLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 12:30 PM   #22
Kale

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post

The pirates (or perhaps the whole town) are actually cultists and the abbey is over a portal to Atoep. While Elder Things are no friend of robots, letting them in would probably be worse. It's probably necessary to have a (possibly mad) survivor who can explain what you need to do to stop Atoep. Replacing the soup with Chowda and relocating to Maine is optional.

Tenby is the same as it was. On the other hand, our heroes quick escape has dropped them nearby. Post-Final War Britain is likely familiar enough to Dungeon Fantasy denizens to fit in, and possibly lull them in to a false sense of security until someone pulls a gun on them.
Either of these could explain what Zone London has been thinking about so deeply for so long...
Old 08-11-2020, 07:47 AM   #23
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGLS View Post
The pirates (or perhaps the whole town) are actually cultists and the abbey is over a portal to Atoep...

....our heroes quick escape has dropped them nearby. Post-Final War Britain is likely familiar enough to Dungeon Fantasy denizens to fit in...
The second one made me laugh. Some Post-Apoc does look fairly dungeon fantasyish. I like the combos

I've been mulling over this one, and I was going to go in an entirely different direction. It's strange how one permutation can go in so many different directions.

Combination 13c: The Missing Sage

Things made of pure darkness pour in from the night, seeking to feed on the innocent. One sage appears to have studied this and perhaps knows how to counter it, but he was last seen in a village that has gone silent...

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #24
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 7a: The Embassy-Mobile
7) GURPS Steampunk Setting: The Broken Clockwork World and GURPS Action 6: Tricked-Out Rides

Most powers on the clockwork world can be contained with judicious use of watching portals and throwing superior resources at troublesome city-states. Not so with Thuroma, a powerful city with a fantastic port, leading edge technology, a surprisingly large chunk of stable countryside, and and apparently historical claim to the patronage of the global forge deity Ink-Thur. Thuroman Priests have been able to manage a number of portals for raiding the unbroken world without retaliation, and the few counter-raids that have found open portals have been trounced by well-armored robots.

Homeland security needs allies on the clockwork world to counter Thuroma, and to stage actions from. A small team of agents will be sent through a portal to find an ally or two near Thuroma. To stay alive, they have their wits, their weapons, a first-class diplomat, and a vehicle that should be able to out-pace any robot. If they fail, the unbroken world may have an invasion on their hands.

Combination 7b: Atop a Beast of Steel
7) GURPS Steampunk Setting: The Broken Clockwork World and GURPS Action 6: Tricked-Out Rides

The sky is exposed, the Gods are gone, and cartography is in chaos. Some have given up in despair, while others have given in to cynicism. But where there is trouble, suffering, and uncertainty, there are also heroes. Heroes like the 3rd Dragoons. Astride the finest clockwork beasts available, the 3rd Dragoons fight for the survival of their city, for the safety of their countryside, and for the solution to their world. With the service of some of the best mechanics on earth, both the mounts and riders continually surprise the enemy.

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
Old 08-11-2020, 08:28 PM   #25
Say, it isn't that bad!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
[B]Combination 7a: The Embassy-Mobile

[B]Combination 7b: Atop a Beast of Steel
I smell a crossover. The group from 7a meets/allies with the group from 7b, to face the enemies in 7a, who are a threat to both.
Say, it isn't that bad! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 09:20 AM   #26
Daigoro

Combination 16a- Chapter 1: The Midnight Races
16) GURPS Monster Hunters Encounters 1 and GURPS Action 6: Tricked-Out Rides

On a lonesome highway or backcountry road, they gather to ride. Young racers are lured from miles around to compete for Race Queen Beatrix's Midnight Cup. They say she drives like the Devil taught her to race, and indeed her preternatural connection with her flame-striped '71 Mustang seems to support this. They say only the best can win, and they say sometimes the losers never come back.

The PCs have to infiltrate the close-knit society of illegal street racers with their own custom sets of wheels, and find out where and when the Midnight Cup is held before they can even begin to face off against Beatrix and her team of V6 vixens. Just don't come last, and don't hang around for her pit crew to come and 'clean up' if you have an accident.

Combination 16a- Chapter 2: The Moon Offroaders Club
16) GURPS Monster Hunters Encounters 1 and GURPS Action 6: Tricked-Out Rides
Everyone in the town knows to stay off the mountain roads on the night of the full moon. That's when the back-roads and fire trails are haunted by the howls of witch-tuned quad-bikes, off-road buggies, trail bikes and 4x4s. They sweep out of the woods to pounce on unwary late night drivers and spirit them off without a trace.

The PCs must put together their own off-road rigs to pursue the Moon Clubbers through thick mountain forests at night to track them to their hidden lakeside haven. A silver-plated bullbar will probably also come in handy.
And heaps of forum collabs, 30+ and counting!
Daigoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2020, 08:12 PM   #27
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Say, it isn't that bad! View Post
I smell a crossover. The group from 7a meets/allies with the group from 7b, to face the enemies in 7a, who are a threat to both.
I hadn't thought of that! Those two do fit together as NPC's in each other's scenarios!

Of course, they will only work together if both sides are allowed to talk smack about each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daigoro View Post
Combination 16a- Chapter 1: The Midnight Races

Combination 16a- Chapter 2: The Moon Offroaders Club
These two make me think of over-the-top body art on vehicles. Big creatures with flames coming off them and shiny chrome peaking out from under them.

Old 08-12-2020, 08:14 PM   #28
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 8a: A Cog in the Camels
8) GURPS Steampunk Setting: The Broken Clockwork World and GURPS Hot Spots: The Incense Trail

This was supposed to be a safe mission. A breather, if you will. Make sure the Ramesside dynasty of the Egyptian New Kingdom was chugging along as recorded, free of historical divergence or Centrum plots. You're not really expected to find anything. Certainly not a pocket-watch decorated with polytheistic religious scenes. Out-timers are messing with this time-line, and tracking down the watch and the other assorted items will lead you across the red sea into the deserts beyond...

Old 08-13-2020, 06:51 PM   #29
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 9a: Vengeance of the Gods
9) GURPS Steampunk Setting: The Broken Clockwork World and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 3: Deep Night and the Star

The deterioration of the clockwork world has come in stages. First the world broke. Then the portals started opening. And now monsters bent on eating the world are coming through. But in the chaos is a glimmer of hope... are these things what broke the world in the first place? And if these idiot gods of corruption are defeated, could the old gods come back? Or must we simply be content with avenging the our fallen gods?

Combination 9b: The Portal Wars
9) GURPS Steampunk Setting: The Broken Clockwork World and GURPS Dungeon Fantasy Adventure 3: Deep Night and the Star

When a world dies, it is eaten by scavengers. Portals appear, connecting it to the remnants of other dead worlds. Some worlds are barren. Some are inhabited by strange and desperate civilizations, staving off their own death. And some spew forth arcane monsters that prey on those unfortunate enough to be considered "living".

Old 08-14-2020, 06:47 PM   #30
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

Combination 10a: To Replace Fallen Gods
10) GURPS Steampunk Setting: The Broken Clockwork World and How to Be a GURPS GM: Ritual Path Magic

Magic has long existed on the clockwork worlds, but only in the shadows. Many Gods saw its practice as mortal arrogance and a rejection of their own power. Still, the various texts circulated, and spells were cast in secret. With the disapearance of the old gods, mages are ready to enter the public sphere. And maybe, just maybe, they may be able to fix this world and set themselves up as Gods.

Combination 10b: The Divine Exile
10) GURPS Steampunk Setting: The Broken Clockwork World and How to Be a GURPS GM: Ritual Path Magic

The Gods are not gone, merely fallen into mortality. They still hold great power, and they hope to get it back... but they are wary of attackers from another world, who have magic of their own...

Combination 10c: Of Werewolves and Windups

The White Council of Wizards had enough on their hands, suppressing vampires, werewolves, demons, manevolent ghosts, and their own renegade members, all while keeping the mundanes both safe and ignorant. Then the portals opened. The order doesn't just have to stop rouge robots from terrorizing mundanes and hide the existence of portals, they also have to worry about supernatural predators running amok in a world already broken. Something will have to give.