Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-13-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
zorg
Experimental Subject

Default Telluric Master

For a high-powered, cinematic game I have in mind, I give you: The Telluric Master.
This is a type of wizard who uses the power of the magical streams and nodes. It doesn't really matter whether you call these mystic currents Ley Lines (as in Gurps Places of Mystery p.25 or in every other Suppressed Transmission), Dragon Lines, Earth Nodes (as in RoleMaster) or Mystic Fooshizzles. The idea as such is nothing new, this is simply another take.

Telluric Master [+200]
Advantages: Telluric Senses [+22]; Telluric Voice [+24]; Telluric Warp [+80]; Telluric Contemplation [+13]; Projected Eyes [+38]; Telluric Walker [+12]; Energy-Matrix [+11]
Prerequisites: Magery 1 [+15]
Recommended Skills: Navigation (Land); Hidden Lore (Demonology); Thaumatology, Expert: Telluric Currents. And spells, of course.
Recommended Advantages: Fearlessness, Mind Shield (Magical); Strong Will
Recommended Disadvantages: OPH: rambles about the mystical significance of TC at the drop of a hat

Telluric Senses [+22]
Detect: Telluric Currents and Pools (Magical –10%; Reliable +2 +10%) [+5]; Detect: Magic (Magical –10%; Vague –50%; Short-Range –10%) [+3]; See Invisible/Magical (Magical –10%) [+14]
Notes: Basic abilities for any wizard, really.
[Alt+5]

Projected Eyes [+38]
Clairvoyance (Visible –10%; TD: No Sense Smell/Taste –5%; Increased Range x10 +30%; Accessibility/TC –30%; Magical –10%) [+38]
Notes: The "Visible" part looks just like a translucent, slightly glowing image of the caster. Whether this is an idealized version (as the caster sees himself) or a realistic version is a matter of taste. Though the idealized version sure is more mystical.

Telluric Voice [+24]
Telecommunication: Telesend (Cosmic: No LOS penalties +50%; Magical –10%; Environmental/TC –30%; Accessibility/TC –30%; Feature: Others with this ability can eavesdrop on a successful Per + IQ roll - Per to notice, IQ to decipher) [+24]
Notes: Environmental means the targrt of your ability must be on/in or very near a Telluric Current (Dragon Line, Chronobahn...). Accessibility means the user himself must also be on/in or very near a TC. Any wizard needs some communication ability, and this fits the bill.

Telluric Warp [+80]
Warp (Accessibility/TC –30%; Magical –10%; Reliable +10 +50%; TET 6*) –60%; Blind +50%; Limited Uses 4 –20%) [+80]
Notes: The TET means 64 seconds. Note that this power does *not* have Environmental, so one could warp to any location, not just one on/in a TC.

Telluric Walker [+12]
Walk on Air (Accessibility/TC –30%; Magical –10%) [+12]
[Alt+3]

Telluric Contemplation [+13]
Rapid Healing (Accessibility/TC –30%; Magical –10%) [+3]
Regeneration/Fast (ER Only +0%; Magical –10%; Accessibility/TC –30%; Maximum Duration Up to 1 hour –10%; Takes Recharge 500 minutes –30%) [+10]
Notes: Initially, I wanted to use Limited Use on this. However, Maximum Duration seems to be much superior.

Energy-Matrix [+11]
Energy Reserve 12 (Magic Only –10%; Recharges one point per day –60%) [+11]

Note: T-Senses and Projected Eyes could very well be Alternate Abilities, since they share a similiar focus (knowledge). The same could be said for T-Warp and T-Walker. In this case, the point total of the Template drops to 174 CP. One could either bring it back up with a larger ER, or leave it like that.
An interesting, if expensive idea would be to let this character undergo a bionic reconstruction. I guess he'd keep his powers, but ymmv.
More sensible customization would include more TC-Powers, and probably a TC-Talent. atm, this character lacks a useful attack (or defense!) ability (iirc, there was a pretty impressive "Flow Lightning" in some RoleMaster book which could be adapted). Other abilities come to mind readily enough.
Old 06-13-2006, 02:58 PM   #2
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Default Re: Telluric Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by zorg

Projected Eyes [+38]
Clairvoyance (Visible –10%; TD: No Sense Smell/Taste –5%; Increased Range x10 +30%; Accessibility/TC –30%; Magical –10%) [+38]
Notes: The "Visible" part looks just like a translucent, slightly glowing image of the caster. Whether this is an idealized version (as the caster sees himself) or a realistic version is a matter of taste. Though the idealized version sure is more mystical.
I'm curious: why TD?

Quote:
Telluric Voice [+24]
Telecommunication: Telesend (Cosmic: No LOS penalties +50%; Magical –10%; Environmental/TC –30%; Accessibility/TC –30%; Feature: Others with this ability can eavesdrop on a successful Per + IQ roll - Per to notice, IQ to decipher) [+24]
Cosmic is too costly: you can have Reliable 5 for half the price, and you get +5 to all IQ rolls related to Telesend (so you can overcome even the higher LOS penalty and get a bonus every other time). Also, "Can be eavesdropped" seems to me much more than a feature, since Telesend is normally a totally safe way to transmit informations.

Quote:
Telluric Warp [+80]
Warp (Accessibility/TC –30%; Magical –10%; Reliable +10 +50%; TET 6*) –60%; Blind +50%; Limited Uses 4 –20%) [+80]
Notes: The TET means 64 seconds. Note that this power does *not* have Environmental, so one could warp to any location, not just one on/in a TC.
I'm sorry, but: TC stands for...?

Quote:
Telluric Walker [+12]
Walk on Air (Accessibility/TC –30%; Magical –10%) [+12]
[Alt+3]
This ability doesn't semm to fit very much to that power...

Quote:
Telluric Contemplation [+13]
Rapid Healing (Accessibility/TC –30%; Magical –10%) [+3]
Regeneration/Fast (ER Only +0%; Magical –10%; Accessibility/TC –30%; Maximum Duration Up to 1 hour –10%; Takes Recharge 500 minutes –30%) [+10]
Regeneration includes Rapid Healing: do not take both. Also, Maximum Duration is "only available for switchable, beneficial abilities that you could normally leave "on" indefinetely [.]" Regeneration is not switchable, so you can't give it Maximum Duration. The same for Takes Recharge: Regeneration has no "uses", so it can't take recharge (BTW, maximum recharge time is one hour, or 10 times the time required to use the ability).
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 03:25 PM   #3
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads
I'm curious: why TD?
TD (Temporary Disadvantage). You can buy Clairvoyance with Visual Only or with Audio Only, but not with Audio-Visual Only. To simulate the fact that the use can hear and see, but not smell, I added TD: Anosmic.

Quote:
Cosmic is too costly: you can have Reliable 5 for half the price, and you get +5 to all IQ rolls related to Telesend (so you can overcome even the higher LOS penalty and get a bonus every other time).
You may be right here. I went by gut feeling.

Quote:
Also, "Can be eavesdropped" seems to me much more than a feature, since Telesend is normally a totally safe way to transmit informations.
I see your point. But otoh, the Eavesdropping part is relatively difficult to achieve: You must be a Telluric Master (which is a whopping 200 CP template!), you must succeed in a Per roll, and you must succeed in a IQ roll. Since the ability is only usable if both parties involved stand in/on a Telluric Current, this further limits the eavesdropping. Considering all that, I don't see it giving a discount.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but: TC stands for...?
TC = Telluric Current (Ley Line, Dragon Line, Flow, Earth Blood Channel...)

Quote:
This ability doesn't semm to fit very much to that power...
Curious - why not? The user walks on the energy the mystic streams provide. A lesser application of the TC-Warp, so to speak. Or do you think it's too much of an obvious effect, compared to the (relatively) subtle effects of the other abilities?

Quote:
Regeneration includes Rapid Healing: do not take both.
Ordinarily, perhaps (and I'm not convinced at that!). Note though that in this specific case, Regeneration only lets the Energy Reserve regenerate, not normal HP. It has a different focus than Rapid Healing. So both should go well together.

Quote:
Regeneration is not switchable, so you can't give it Maximum Duration. The same for Takes Recharge: Regeneration has no "uses", so it can't take recharge
Doesn't Regeneration *become* switchable if I add Maximum Duration on it? I could certainly add "Costs FP", and that would make it switchable (I hope). The very fact that you can leave the ability only "on" for its Maximum Duration, after which a Cooldown is required, seems to indicate its Switchability. If this is true, then one "use" is "once the Maximum Duration", in which case Takes Recharge would be legal, too.
I may be wrong here, but it sounds good to me. Maximum Duration starts to look really difficult :)

Quote:
(BTW, maximum recharge time is one hour, or 10 times the time required to use the ability).
10 times the required cooldown of five minutes = 500 minutes. I am aware that this is not quite by the book, but I think it makes sense. I tried to extend the Cooldown-period, and Takes Recharge looked good. But I'm open to suggestions!
Old 06-13-2006, 04:17 PM   #4
Fnordianslip

Zorg, these templates kick ass! Oh, and I agree, tacking on maximum duration definitely makes it switchable. Keep em comin man!
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 04:18 PM   #5
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fnordianslip
Zorg, these templates kick ass! Oh, and I agree, tacking on maximum duration definitely makes it switchable. Keep em comin man!
I very much like to hear that :)
Old 06-13-2006, 04:48 PM   #6
Fabricati

MaxDur makes it transient unless you can switch it off beforehand- is that inherent?

*looks around*
Old 06-13-2006, 04:57 PM   #7
Not another shrubbery

Quote:
Doesn't Regeneration *become* switchable if I add Maximum Duration on it? I could certainly add "Costs FP", and that would make it switchable (I hope). The very fact that you can leave the ability only "on" for its Maximum Duration, after which a Cooldown is required, seems to indicate its Switchability. If this is true, then one "use" is "once the Maximum Duration", in which case Takes Recharge would be legal, too.
I may be wrong here, but it sounds good to me. Maximum Duration starts to look really difficult :)
Kromm's reply to you (that you quoted in the Limited Use/Duration of One Use Question thread) seems to suggest otherwise... The wording of MaxDur likewise indicates (to me) that Klaus is right in thinking that it should not be used with Regen.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:01 PM   #8
zorg
Experimental Subject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not another shrubbery
Kromm's reply to you (that you quoted in the Limited Use/Duration of One Use Question thread) seems to suggest otherwise... The wording of MaxDur likewise indicates (to me) that Klaus is right in thinking that it should not be used with Regen.
In that case, I'd be back to "Limited Use, Once per day, for one hour" (-5%), right?

Hm, that would require some fiddling to keep the cost identical...
Edit: TD: -5 Per should do the trick, if necessary.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:04 PM   #9
Fnordianslip

I always treat any limitation that makes an ability cost something to use, or limits it's use, as making it switchable. I mean, I guess you could say that the power kicks on automatically, runs as long as it can, then shuts down for five minutes before turning on. However, that seems like it would be a hassle to keep track of.
Fnordianslip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2006, 05:08 PM   #10
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads

Quote:
Curious - why not? The user walks on the energy the mystic streams provide. A lesser application of the TC-Warp, so to speak. Or do you think it's too much of an obvious effect, compared to the (relatively) subtle effects of the other abilities?
Well, reading "telluric" I thought that such a character's powers would be rely on contact with "soil energy" or something similar, but now I'm almost sure i misred it.

Quote:
Actually, one "use" of an ability that Costs Fatigue and is lasting corresponds to a one-minute period: having one "use" last one hour and claiming a -30% discount for that seems odd at least! And being switchable is a prerequisite for an ability in order to have Maximum Duration: it doesn't become switchable if you add it.
KlausPrinceOfTheUndeads is offline   Reply With Quote