Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game

Old 02-27-2020, 08:06 PM   #1
Dalin

Default God of music in Noršlond?

One of my players wants to play a bard (skald) in Douglas Cole's Noršlond setting. He noted that there isn't currently a god associated specifically with music, although the Allfather is "beloved by bards" (Hall of Judgment, p. 5). Hand of Asgard (p. 9) mentions that many bards revere the Queen of the World. I imagine that bards might revere any of the gods (or all of them, like most Noršlonders).

For someone with a particularly musical bent, however, they may want to focus on a specific god of music. I am remarkably ignorant of Norse lore, but the internet tells me that Bragi might be the appropriate god from the myths. Does that seem fitting? (I only ask in case others caught something I missed in the various books and PDFs, or if Doug wants to chime in with his thoughts...)
Dalin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 08:19 PM   #2
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Default Re: God of music in Noršlond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dalin View Post
One of my players wants to play a bard (skald) in Douglas Cole's Noršlond setting. He noted that there isn't currently a god associated specifically with music, although the Allfather is "beloved by bards" (Hall of Judgment, p. 5). Hand of Asgard (p. 9) mentions that many bards revere the Queen of the World. I imagine that bards might revere any of the gods (or all of them, like most Noršlonders).

For someone with a particularly musical bent, however, they may want to focus on a specific god of music. I am remarkably ignorant of Norse lore, but the internet tells me that Bragi might be the appropriate god from the myths. Does that seem fitting? (I only ask in case others caught something I missed in the various books and PDFs, or if Doug wants to chime in with his thoughts...)
Looks like Bragi is your guy. Son of Odin and a giantess (lecherous cad). So I’d start with a cleric of the Allfather and tweak to taste.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:06 PM   #3
Refplace

Also is the Nordland deity book out yet? Its pretty good, short and flavorful.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 10:01 PM   #4
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
Also is the Nordland deity book out yet? Its pretty good, short and flavorful.
Only in PDF to backers. I don't feel right about giving it a general release to the public when the Kickstarter backers don't have ALL their rewards.
Old 09-23-2021, 02:22 PM   #5
chardobon

Unfortunately, I can't help you. I also, like you, thought it was the Allfather, as there was no mention of a separate god of music in mythology.
chardobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2021, 12:21 PM   #6
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Only in PDF to backers. I don't feel right about giving it a general release to the public when the Kickstarter backers don't have ALL their rewards.
For what it's worth: Hand of Asgard is out now in print and pdf.

This is the "Kevin Smyth Attack Pack" (his last name is pronounced like writhe) which includes Hand of Asgard, as well as the Delvers to Grow books and the Nordlondr Folk races book. But the component bits are available as well.
Old 09-25-2021, 02:02 AM   #7
Juan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
For what it's worth: Hand of Asgard is out now in print and pdf.

This is the "Kevin Smyth Attack Pack" (his last name is pronounced like writhe) which includes Hand of Asgard, as well as the Delvers to Grow books and the Nordlondr Folk races book. But the component bits are available as well.
Not that my opinion should matter but I recently purchased this pack and I think It is really good, specially for newcomers to the Game and the Nordlond setting.
Juan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 08:46 AM   #8
DouglasCole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juan View Post
Not that my opinion should matter but I recently purchased this pack and I think It is really good, specially for newcomers to the Game and the Nordlond setting.
Thank you.

Creators and publishers mostly get negative feedback, or none at all. So don't think for a moment your feedback doesn't matter.

I personally love the books Kevin wrote. I had a solid vision for each, but he went above and beyond in executing them. The Delvers books in particular are pure gold for getting new players to the table quickly.

We're a very self-selecting sample on these forums and on the internet, because if we're still playing, it means that we love-love-love us the character creation minigame.

Those that don't ... stop playing. They walk away.

Delvers to Grow is aimed squarely at that group, and based on the feedback from WALK-UP games being run by some of my patreon subscribers ... it's hitting the mark.

Thanks to the new GCS support included in the main library by Rich (and GCA support is on the way), an experienced user broke the all-time record for fastest complete character generation: three minutes.

Tags
bard, gods, music, noršlond