Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2019, 09:43 AM   #1
David Johnston2

Default Truthful Variants

Suppose you have a limitation that make you incapable of repeating a lie three times. Call it a divine curse.

Or suppose you can be as deceptive as you want but can never make a declarative statement which you believe to be false. You are simply physically incapable of telling a direct falsehood, and therefore never say anything directly except under dire coercion.

How do these disadvantages compare to Truthful?
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:50 AM   #2
NineDaysDead
Banned

Default Re: Truthful Variants

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
Suppose you have a limitation that make you incapable of repeating a lie three times. Call it a divine curse.

Or suppose you can be as deceptive as you want but can never make a declarative statement which you believe to be false. You are simply physically incapable of telling a direct falsehood, and therefore never say anything directly except under dire coercion.

Having no self control roll is worth 2.5 times the value* so Truthfulness (N/A) is -12 points.

Then put a limitation on it "Can Lie by Omission, -??%" or "Can Lie the first two times, -??%"

*Shows up in GURPS Zombies page 60. And maybe elsewhere, but I don't recall right now.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 11:22 AM   #3
Black Leviathan

Quote:
Thruthfulness is such an inexpensive disadvantage that I feel slicing it's pie would likely just make it a quirk. It seems severe but honestly being able to tell a lie three times is still a lot of lying in the context of a Role Playing game. A curse like not being able to lie to someone who's higher status to you, or not being able to lie to someone you know is a magic user would be more restrictive, maybe worth 2-3 points?
Black Leviathan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 04:41 PM   #4
naloth

Quote:
That reminds me if the fairy issue of repeating things multiple times... but they can't lie. Anyway, that would be annoying to track especially if they can do variations or it resets after a while. Perhaps a quirk.

Quote:
Perhaps as a Vow? There can be consequences for disregarding a vow beyond denying XP. You could model it as a Phobia that causes a mental breakdown if you are coerced - perhaps worth -5 points.
naloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 05:37 PM   #5
Refplace

For Fae in Chalice World I left Truthfulness intact but added it to the power modifier for their powers. If they lie they lose powers.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:13 PM   #6
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Refplace View Post
For Fae in Chalice World I left Truthfulness intact but added it to the power modifier for their powers. If they lie they lose powers.
Essentially, a variation of the Pact limitation.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:18 PM   #7
Pursuivant

Quote:
The value of this disad depends on what happens after your third strike.

Quote:
I'd call this a Quirk, "Truthful when coerced." Mechanically, you might need to make IQ or skill rolls (e.g., vs. Acting, Fast-Talk, or Law) to get away with half-truths and selective omissions in other situatations.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 06:18 PM   #8
Refplace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
Essentially, a variation of the Pact limitation.
Yep, not saying its totally original but I thought it might be relevant to the thread.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 09:44 PM   #9
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
The value of this disad depends on what happens after your third strike.
Nothing. You are just physically incapable of repeating the lie a third time.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 10:43 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Nothing. You are just physically incapable of repeating the lie a third time.
If this sort of disadvantage is known of ("no Fay can repeat a lie three times") then I say it's a perfectly fine standard cost variant of Truthful.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote