Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 08-09-2019, 11:03 AM   #1
Whitewings

Default Magic ritual thoughts

I’m developing a setting based around a TL12 colony that’s recently, as in less than a century ago, learned that their star sits within a heliopause-filling bubble of what the locals call ki, meaning it’s a normal mana zone. They’ve kept many now-obsolete combat arts alive as cultural touchstones, including kyujutsu, and I’m wondering about the idea of allowing a ki adept (mage) to set appropriate spells on an arrow using the act of nocking and drawing the arrow as the gesture portion of a gesture and word ritual. It does seem setting appropriate, but I have no real idea of the possible knock-on effects. The colony is extremely new, about a hundred years old; the discovery of magic about 70. Their world is nothing close to tamed.

Last edited by Whitewings; 08-09-2019 at 12:40 PM.
Whitewings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
Stormcrow

Default Re: Magic ritual thoughts

Sounds like imbuements.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:05 PM   #3
Whitewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
Sounds like imbuements.
Not really. Imagine a mage with 10-14 in Freezing Missile, using the act of drawing and aiming as the “gesture” portion of the ritual (presumably this would be distinct from taking the Aim maneuver) while whispering the incantation.
Old 08-09-2019, 01:23 PM   #4
Refplace

There is a spell for the default system called Spell Arrow. Also Delay/Trigger could do that.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:42 PM   #5
AlexanderHowl

Combat spells will likely be worse than useless (except Deflect/Reflect Missile).
AlexanderHowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 01:50 PM   #6
Anaraxes

Do you mean that the mage isn't the archer? That is, part of his ritual mimics the drawing of a bow while holding the subject arrow? If that's the case, then great -- Rule of Cool, fits the setting, so mote it be. The details of the gesture aren't generally important (which is why they're specified only in rare cases). This would also apply if the mage is throwing Missile Spells by miming archery -- that is, no second party involved, just a nice ritual for a spell that makes him look like an archer (without a bow, unless maybe he's using his Staff in its place).

If the mage is also the archer, so that he's casting a spell on his own arrow as he uses it in combat, then Spell Arrow or Imbuements are existing mechanics for doing exactly that.

Or is there some third case you had in mind?
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2019, 02:35 PM   #7
Stormcrow

So why does this spell get an instant time-savings that other spells don't? To use the result of the spell, you're going to have to draw the arrow anyway. This sounds like a time freebie, like getting a free Fast-Draw. Presumably this would typically be used in combat, so time will always be of the essence.
Old 08-09-2019, 03:19 PM   #8
Whitewings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow View Post
So why does this spell get an instant time-savings that other spells don't? To use the result of the spell, you're going to have to draw the arrow anyway. This sounds like a time freebie, like getting a free Fast-Draw. Presumably this would typically be used in combat, so time will always be of the essence.
Well, that’s what I’m wondering. Spell Arrow isn’t an option because enchantment spells aren’t available yet. They’re possible, just not developed yet. I don’t currently have Imbuements, so I can’t comment on its usefulness. Currently, I’m thinking the main application would be using Archery to target a missile spell rather than using Innate Attack. Since it does allow both Ready and Concentrate maneuvers to be taken simultaneously, I’m thinking it might be an Advantage, maybe 5 points.
Old 08-09-2019, 05:22 PM   #9
Stormcrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitewings View Post
Currently, I’m thinking the main application would be using Archery to target a missile spell rather than using Innate Attack.
Maybe an arrow that delivers a missile spell doesn't do arrow damage in addition.
Old 08-09-2019, 07:00 PM   #10
Refplace

If the goal is to use arrow skill instead of Innate Attack skill you could just change the spell. Instead of putting it on an arrow you draw the bow back, concentrate to cast and let fly. I dont see a balance problem if the spell has the same stats otherwise. Bow is harder than Innate Attack to learn and requires a bow to use which are drawbacks but the skill being more generally useful since it serves double duty is a nice tradeoff.

I'd allow them to add the bows ACC to hit as well. I do something similar to that with wands for my game where they add +1 ACC as a pointing device for spells cast through the wand.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
magic, rules modification, ultra-tech