Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-27-2019, 09:52 AM   #1
WaterAndWindSpirit

Default Hypnosis and insomnia

Hello!

As it's something I have actually done IRL one time where getting somewhere in time was so important that I didn't mind sleeping with my laptop on and with headphones on after listening to an hypnosis video I put on a loop just in case (I'm a very good subject)...

What happens when a character with the Hypnosis skill tries to put to sleep a willing subject who suffers from an Insomnia episode in GURPS?

Thanks!
WaterAndWindSpirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:04 AM   #2
khorboth

Default Re: Hypnosis and insomnia

I doubt there's a canonical answer.

I would probably allow a one-time bonus. If it became a regular thing, I'd either require the character to start buying off the disadvantage or to buy a mitigator on the disadvantage as the in-game effects are reduced. Otherwise, I'd rule that the effect is reduced and eventually negated as the insomniac brain begins to resist the therapy. This is just my prospective from someone who knows almost nothing about the conditions that cause insomnia.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 10:33 AM   #3
Sam Baughn

Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and some other bits.

The rules in the Basic Set for Hypnotism say that a successful roll puts the subject to sleep. Presumably this means they can sleep normally for that night, but have to keep rolling against HT-1 every night until they pass and until they do the insomnia episode isn't actually over.

Realistically, people in a hypnotic trance aren't actually asleep and the subject falling asleep means that you are unlikely to be able to guide their trance or make suggestions. However, the trance is similar to being asleep and it is certainly extremely easy to transition from a trance state to sleep, either deliberately or accidentally. So I think it is quite reasonable to say that a successful use of hypnotism can negate the effects of insomnia.

However, it is more difficult to put someone who is restless, anxious or agitated into a trance. I suspect that insomnia should probably give a penalty to Hypnosis (and an even worse one to Autohypnosis and Meditation, both of which should also be able to induce sleep). How big a penalty, I have no idea, but probably a fairly steep one. Bad enough that combined with the penalty for making a generic recording rather than working with a single live subject it becomes unreliable as a treatment for sleep disorders; only being effective on people who are unusually susceptible to hypnosis.
Old 03-29-2021, 02:51 PM   #4
Polkageist

Most likely so. Weirdly, no links in the post, which is usually what spammers have...

Anyway, it does raise the point of mitigators. I suppose like other physical disads you can have a mitigator for Insomnia be it medications, certain exercises or rituals, or perhaps some mystical or supernatural thing.

Hypnosis would probably fall under the middle category, and as a mitigator it's pretty rough. Someone else has to apply it, so unless it's a person in the party that'll be a trick to pull off mid-adventure. An ally maybe?
Also, as a mitigator it doesn't stop the current insomnia episode as Sam pointed out. It just gives one good restful sleep session for that one instance of the skill. From a gameplay standpoint I'd give it either one try per sleep cycle, or multiple tries with increasing penalty to try to model the frustration or exhaustion of the 'damn, it's not WORKING right now' feeling.

Like most mitigators their price offset is based on how well they nullify the disadvantage and how hard/easy it is to lose said mitigator.

Gah! Ideas are still popping up!

Medication as a mitigator, that's easy. Just like glasses for nearsightedness, you take your medication and you don't have to worry about insomnia. Miss your dose and WHOA NELLY

Exercises and rituals, I think that's where something like having a recording that you listen to fits in. But I wouldn't just leave it at the recording, there has to be a whole structure around it. Quiet room, comfortable temperature, no obnoxious smells, that sort of thing. Perhaps it takes 30-60 minutes to properly 'get in the zone' and ensure a good night's sleep. Maybe that's another disadvantage, but as a mitigator to insomnia I suppose you could take some liberties. Maybe like the medicine, as long as you do the same thing every night you're ok but disrupt that and you're up forever.

Supernatural stuff is just whatever man it's magic.
Polkageist is offline   Reply With Quote