Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > The Fantasy Trip

Old 05-01-2019, 01:00 PM   #1
Ulairi

Default "Living City" play or a Road Crew for TFT?

I'm sure you guys have talked about stuff like this for the game but I thought I'd put my suggestion here anyway. I participate in a lot of con play or local store play here in Wisconsin. I would love for a "Living City" type campaign for conventions and store play that folks could participate in a "shared world" type game, like we used to at GenCon when it was still here in Wisconsin. It was neat to be able to take the same character into different games at local conventions and events. I think TFT straddles the board game and RPG line quite well with the widgets and stuff we get to use at the table. I know that we see a lot of groups playing DCC to participate in the Goodman Game's Road Crew events.

Have you guys thought about these sorts of things for the Fantasy Trip? I think it would make it easier for folks to get involved and because Melee and the Wizard work as a "board game" in addition to supporting a full RPG, I think a program might help bridge the two player bases and make it easier for board gamers to find a way into campaign play.

I know you guys are spread thin with employees all doing a lot of work and you have too many projects and too few man hours. I think you guys could use Kickstarter to fund different 'seasons' of these sorts of games.

Anyway...here are my two cents.
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:11 PM   #2
malchidael

Default Re: "Living City" play or a Road Crew for TFT?

Another Cheesehead TFT player! Woot!

I don't have a lot of experience with convention games, but I think this would be a grand idea. I missed out on GaryCon this year (work-related) - there was a Thursday evening TFT game that I wanted to get into, too.

Once my son gets home from college, I'm going to try to bribe him to go with me to my FLGS and play some Melee/Wizard. They had a copy of DFRPG for a while, and have a copy of Ogre on the wall, so they're SJG-friendly.

I haven't been there since TFT was released, so I'm not sure if they have it on the shelf. Going to try to get there Saturday and check it out.

But, back to your point - I'd love to see a reason for the local game shops to promote TFT more, and draw more people into the game. Structured play is definitely one way to accomplish that.

So I'll add my $0.02 to yours, and together, we'll have $0.04!
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:09 PM   #3
bat

I'm just about to wrap up a DCC Road Crew campaign that I run in a local bar and I'm going to be switching venues and games, probably to TFT. I'll cast my vote for a Road Crew because it is fun and it is neat to watch it grow organically.

Last edited by bat; 05-05-2019 at 08:42 AM.
bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 10:18 PM   #4
malchidael

My current D&D DM has been running some DCC modules and passing out DCC Road Crew SWAG. Even though I've been gaming since '79 or '80, this was the first time I had direct experience with a Road Crew. I did do a little Living Greyhawk back in the day, and a *very* little Adventurer's League.

I wish I had a bunch of the bookmarks that are part of the Decks of Destiny kickstarter right now - I'd love to be able to hand them out at my FLGS(s).

I have to get back to 3D printing some terrain - I want enough to be able to set up the rooms from Death Test. I'm almost there - I think I have just one room left to finish (one room with one *really* big obstacle). That Melee playmat with terrain on top would have nice visual appeal.
malchidael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:12 AM   #5
Original_Carl

How do you get into this? Did you just start running games in bars or do you sign up for game conventions and run them there?
Original_Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 12:42 AM   #6
JLV

Steve Jackson Games has the Men In Black (MIB) program. You can find out more about it by clicking on the big banner above this forum. That might be a way to get started...
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:37 AM   #7
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
I know you guys are spread thin with employees all doing a lot of work and you have too many projects and too few man hours.
Nailed it. We would love to be putting more support behind the game; we're doing what we can with limited resources and we're not all opposed to you getting out there and teaching the games to your friends.

Just as soon as we get the time, we'll explore more tools for fast, fun, one-shot scenarios for the game.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2019, 08:50 AM   #8
bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original_Carl View Post
How do you get into this? Did you just start running games in bars or do you sign up for game conventions and run them there?
I did at bars, just jumped in. I reached out to my small community and a bartender wanted to get away from the sports bar image and run games. I'm in my second year and not only has game night reached maximum capacity, other bars are interested and a large grocery store with extra room has offered room any time. The bar I started at has three paid people running games and others that bring in their own games to run as well. Once it catches on, and with determination it will grow organically. Not every week is a hit, there are a few misses to get to that point, but have a consistent group of dedicated players is very rewarding.
bat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 05:54 PM   #9
Ulairi

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Nailed it. We would love to be putting more support behind the game; we're doing what we can with limited resources and we're not all opposed to you getting out there and teaching the games to your friends.

Just as soon as we get the time, we'll explore more tools for fast, fun, one-shot scenarios for the game.
I think the Decks of Destiny product will help with that.

But, im hoping once we get more product out there and stuff something like the DCC Road Crew or RPA Living City can get on the wish list. :)
Ulairi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2019, 08:52 AM   #10
philreed
I do stuff and things.

Backers of last year’s Legacy Edition will see that we shared three scenarios in a backers-only update today. If these work well at Origins, we will explore creating more of them. They may prove useful for one-shot sessions and game demos for anyone wanting to teach the game.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote