Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-30-2018, 04:53 AM   #1
newton

Default Highest point total IRL

as the title suggests I am looking for the person, living or dead, who would have the highest point total in real if we statted them up in GURPS
newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 04:59 AM   #2
Celjabba

Default Re: Highest point total IRL

There have been quite a few thread on this subject, with variable answers.
I cannot search for those easily on my phone, but you are looking at someone with a lot of social advantages.

Likely the leader (president, king, ... ) of a major country.
High Status, multiples high ranks, multi-millionaire.

Last edited by Celjabba; 10-30-2018 at 05:05 AM.
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:19 AM   #3
newton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
There have been quite a few thread on this subject, with variable answers.
I cannot search for those easily on my phone, but you are looking at someone with a lot of social advantages.

High Status, multiples high ranks, multi-millionaire.
well damn, i tried searching for a thread like this but couldn’t find any
newton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 05:29 AM   #4
The Colonel

Be aware that there may also be a level of controversy - notably over some people who claim various forms of power investiture - which can lead to red text if uncontrolled.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 06:34 AM   #5
ericthered
Hero of Democracy

from 2012, this thread primarily discusses political figures and celebrities, touching both modern and historical figures

Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog

Check out the PbP forum! If you don't see a game you'd like, ask me about making one!
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:11 AM   #6
martinl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celjabba View Post
Maybe. I maintain that since GURPS CP are very roughly equivalent to "Adventuring Utility" and in our current era the closest thing we have to adventurers is various spec ops types, those folks are at the very least contenders. Unfortunately for newton, however, these folks are not well documented in public sources, for obvious reasons.
martinl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
Celjabba

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
Maybe. I maintain that since GURPS CP are very roughly equivalent to "Adventuring Utility" and in our current era the closest thing we have to adventurers is various spec ops types, those folks are at the very least contenders. Unfortunately for newton, however, these folks are not well documented in public sources, for obvious reasons.
Certainly another valid possibility.
A Seal heavy weapon expert (or whatever non-US equivalent) would have an university degree and top physical training, high will, high ST, high HT, definitively above average DX and IQ, fit, several languages, and a bit of rank.

A wartime antique god-king, otoh, may have slightly lower stats (but still likely all over average) and lesser non-fighting skills (not having access to tl8 customized training and medicine) but would have multimillionaire 1 or 2, max status, social regard, military rank and religious rank. fit, high will and languages also.
Celjabba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:34 AM   #8
Anthony

There's also good arguments for sports stars, as they can reasonably combine high physical attributes, reputation, and high wealth levels.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #9
Anaraxes

Quote:
Originally Posted by martinl View Post
I maintain that since GURPS CP are very roughly equivalent to "Adventuring Utility"
This depends on how general your definition of "adventure" is, but

Quote:
the closest thing we have to adventurers is various spec ops types
suggests that "adventure" just means action-adventure sorts of things. But GURPS charges substantial CP for all sorts of things that won't help a spec-ops guy on a mission.

It's really something more like "Story Problem Overcoming Utility".

And that viewpoint reveals why those national leaders and movie stars wind up costing a lot of CP, even though they would never make it onto SEAL Team Six. They have substantial ability to overcome obstacles -- just not the same sorts of obstacles the SEALs are trained and equipped to overcome, and overcoming them in different ways.
Anaraxes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 11:44 AM   #10
khorboth

Ok, I'll throw a name out for the sharks.

Vladimir Putin.

He seems like a real candidate. High stats all around. Lots of varied skills personally. As a retired KGB <redacted>, he was well trained in all manner of things. His skill list is probably very extensive, spy, social, combat, knowledge, etc. He probably has a small variety of combat-related advantages as well.

Socially, he has charisma, contacts, allies, his country probably counts for a doozy of a patron. He's wealthy, high status, has military rank, enforcement powers, diplomatic immunity.

Disadvantages may weigh against him, however. He probably has several enemy groups of the "embarrassment" level, and a few who want him dead. While he has a great reputation in some circles, it's safe to say there is a negative reputation in others.
khorboth is offline   Reply With Quote