Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 01-16-2018, 12:59 PM   #291
pyratejohn

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

A TFT forum section?!?!
Awesome! Thanks!!!
Old 01-16-2018, 01:10 PM   #292
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
For what it's worth, I did this on Lost Hall of Tyr. The more-complex 5e got the full treatment, and the parenthetical aside covered Swords and Wizardry fully.

I know what I'd do for a hypothetical adventure that would dual-stat GURPS and TFT, too. it's not quite what I just said - it'd be prettier and better. A layout option I ran across that's perfect for that sort of thing.
Please share! ;-)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #293
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Please share! ;-)
Are you familiar with Symbaroum? It uses a VERY unusual 3-column layout. Two of the columns are wider than the third, by quite a bit. Out of maybe 6.75" of total written page width, with 0.5" of that being column margin, you're left with 6.25" of text.

Two of the columns might have thus been about 2 5/8" wide, the third being about an inch (I'd need to go back and re-measure the hardcopy A4 I bought at GenCon).

[Edit. Here's an example. It's got two wide-text columns, and white space where the third thin column is. Another example shows the thin column in the middle of both pages of a two-page spread. One is italicised aside-text, the other is a graphic of dice.]

The third column is NOT always on the outside like in early GURPS 3e books with sidebars. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's in the middle, sometimes it's on the inside of the page.

That little floating column is perfect for statblocks if the blocks are very terse. No way you could put a 5e or GURPS character block in there, you might be able to with the DFRPG, which is focused enough that "Sword: (18) 1d+3 cut" is enough to give the gist of fodder monsters' attacks, and the four GURPSy stats could just be done as

ST 14
DX 12
IQ 8
HT 11

Sword (18/12) 1d+3 cut
Grapple (13/9)

Anyway, for Swords and Wizardry and other basic DnD stuff, a roughly 1" statblock (maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less) column that floated per layout needs would be spiffy (it also does GREAT things for a variety of art placement).

For TFT, even a character like Brett Slocum's Sir Trevor of Cumbria looks like it would fit well into a column.

Were I doing a multi-genre adventure, I might write it using the two main columns for systemless information, with some combinations for full-system statblocks. But mostly, you'd use the little column to throw in details for what you do using the simple systems.

Ever since I saw the big-big-small column concept as implemented in Symbaroum I've wanted to find an excuse to try it out. Moving "basic system" information from parentheticals within the main text into this small-column format seems a good use of that layout.

Last edited by DouglasCole; 01-16-2018 at 01:42 PM.
DouglasCole is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:21 PM   #294
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
Are you familiar with Symbaroum? It uses a VERY unusual 3-column layout. Two of the columns are wider than the third, by quite a bit. Out of maybe 6.75" of total written page width, with 0.5" of that being column margin, you're left with 6.25" of text.

Two of the columns might have thus been about 2 5/8" wide, the third being about an inch (I'd need to go back and re-measure the hardcopy A4 I bought at GenCon).

[Edit. Here's an example. It's got two wide-text columns, and white space where the third thin column is. Another example shows the thin column in the middle of both pages of a two-page spread. One is italicised aside-text, the other is a graphic of dice.]

The third column is NOT always on the outside like in early GURPS 3e books with sidebars. Sometimes it is, sometimes it's in the middle, sometimes it's on the inside of the page.

That little floating column is perfect for statblocks if the blocks are very terse. No way you could put a 5e or GURPS character block in there, you might be able to with the DFRPG, which is focused enough that "Sword: (18) 1d+3 cut" is enough to give the gist of fodder monsters' attacks, and the four GURPSy stats could just be done as

ST 14
DX 12
IQ 8
HT 11

Sword (18/12) 1d+3 cut
Grapple (13/9)

Anyway, for Swords and Wizardry and other basic DnD stuff, a roughly 1" statblock (maybe a bit more, maybe a bit less) column that floated per layout needs would be spiffy (it also does GREAT things for a variety of art placement).

For TFT, even a character like Brett Slocum's Sir Trevor of Cumbria looks like it would fit well into a column.

Were I doing a multi-genre adventure, I might write it using the two main columns for systemless information, with some combinations for full-system statblocks. But mostly, you'd use the little column to throw in details for what you do using the simple systems.

Ever since I saw the big-big-small column concept as implemented in Symbaroum I've wanted to find an excuse to try it out. Moving "basic system" information from parentheticals within the main text into this small-column format seems a good use of that layout.
I have Symbaroum in PDF, but I picked it up more for the inspirational art work than anything else, so now I'll have to go back an read it again...

Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-19-2018, 06:41 PM   #295
marctabyanan

Man! The Symbaroum art is freaking phenomenal! I got a lot of my inspiration for corruption from Symbaroum, but the art!
marctabyanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 01:01 AM   #296
JLV

Still hoping to hear some ideas on when we can look for something from TFT! Don't forget us all, out here in TFT land! ;-)
Old 01-22-2018, 01:37 PM   #297
HunterS
Community Manager

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Still hoping to hear some ideas on when we can look for something from TFT! Don't forget us all, out here in TFT land! ;-)
It's going to take some time. Steve's working on stuff at the moment, but we're not looking at imminent release or anything like that.
HunterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 02:35 PM   #298
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterS View Post
It's going to take some time. Steve's working on stuff at the moment, but we're not looking at imminent release or anything like that.
No, I didn't think you were... I was hoping you might have some sort of glimmer on when a Melee Kickstarter might show up, though. However, we will wait! ;-)
Old 02-19-2018, 11:33 PM   #299
Kirk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jackson View Post
A fair question, because the Dark City situation doesn't really have a precedent in the hobby AFAIK. It would not have been right to talk ABOUT Dark City until I had talked TO them, but I just finished a very pleasant call with George Dew. So the executive summary is, we are talking :) In my perfect Year 2019 or 2020, there would be no "clone rules" on the market, but there would be a wide variety of "new" fan-written adventures available under the TFT banner. I should not say "fan," because if these guys sell me a dozen adventures, they are pros.
I just found out about the acquisition of TFT rights and I think this is great news! When George and I were working together, being huge fans of TFT, we both wanted to resurrect the great adventures to be had with programmed modules such as Death Test or Orb Quest, but always the problem with access to the rules stood in the way, i.e. not available to the general public, as a rule, to expose new and younger gamers to the system.

Creating a similar set of rules without infringing on rights left us with an "interesting" set of game rules, with compromises along the way, and for me, just enough to get by to allow continuation of programmed modules that had a similar look and feel.

I certainly hope SJG can just address the few slight imbalances and typos and paste-up errors in the original rules, then, without the work-arounds that DCG had to use (IMO), make them available to the public once again, especially to younger gamers.

My biggest wish would be high quality (along the lines of Death Test, Orb Quest, etc.) programmed modules that support the world of Cidri as presented in the original TFT rules. It is, I think, what DCG strived for, and I give credit to George Dew for having enough fortitude and love of the game to keep an homage to TFT alive through his Dark City Games efforts over these past years.
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 12:24 PM   #300
jhs

Wow! Melee and Wizard were two of my first games from back when, well, they were in print. I have looked off and on for copies just for the memories but never won an auction or stumbled across them. This is up there with the reprint of ogre for me. I look forward to the opportunity to order lots of t shirts on the Kickstarter (and the games).

Ogre, melee, wizard...now you just need to reprint my youth.
jhs is offline   Reply With Quote