Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Illuminati Headquarters > Daily Illuminator

Old 01-12-2018, 02:30 AM   #271
Carnifex

Default Re: December 26, 2017: The Fantasy Trip Returns Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Plus, I have no idea what kind of market share TFT would have these days. Back in the day, it was the second biggest selling RPG system out there,
This the big question isn't it, how many people will actually remember this game let alone how many are still playing it. It is well known there are game groups out there still playing the same game they were playing in 1980 and playing it with the same people. These gamers fly under the radar, they don't attend tournaments or conventions and probably have not been in a game store since Reagan was the President. It is impossible to know how many of these groups are out there, but I think this might be an interesting test of that market.
Carnifex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 08:26 AM   #272
DouglasCole
Doctor of GURPS Ballistics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnifex View Post
This the big question isn't it, how many people will actually remember this game let alone how many are still playing it. It is well known there are game groups out there still playing the same game they were playing in 1980 and playing it with the same people. These gamers fly under the radar, they don't attend tournaments or conventions and probably have not been in a game store since Reagan was the President. It is impossible to know how many of these groups are out there, but I think this might be an interesting test of that market.
And who says that an adventure done by a third party would be only available for TFT?

When I wrote my DnD5e adventure Lost Hall of Tyr, I realized midway through that it would be trivial to convert it to the much-simpler Swords & Wizardry using parentheticals in the text itself. While other systems might require more extensive stat-block work, the hard part - adventure design, layout, art direction and procurement - is already done. It's by and large a straight-forward thing to convert a module's guts in spirit to another platform.
Old 01-12-2018, 09:39 AM   #273
larsdangly

The last several posts raise questions that I had I had in mind when I pointed to Metamorphosis Alpha. Most gamers know it as just a title but might have some idea that it was briefly influential and popular in the late 70's. From this inauspicious start, Goodman Games managed to gin up enough interest for a strongly funded Kickstarter and cobbled together the workforce to make a surprisingly extensive and nicely presented line of products. This is clearly a side project and labor of love rather than the company's main business, but they presented products with a range and quality the TFT community would be more than happy to see. I actually think TFT has a much stronger starting market than MA (quite a few people know it, there are probably several thousand who play it actively, it is connected to a well known, in-print system, and it is intrinsically a better game with a deeper catalogue of material). But the two games present pretty similar business models.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:23 PM   #274
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasCole View Post
And who says that an adventure done by a third party would be only available for TFT?

When I wrote my DnD5e adventure Lost Hall of Tyr, I realized midway through that it would be trivial to convert it to the much-simpler Swords & Wizardry using parentheticals in the text itself. While other systems might require more extensive stat-block work, the hard part - adventure design, layout, art direction and procurement - is already done. It's by and large a straight-forward thing to convert a module's guts in spirit to another platform.
I agree. I've been doing this for years due to the lack of new TFT material. (And GURPS is even easier to convert to TFT than things like D&D or the various OSR retro-clones.)
JLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #275
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
The last several posts raise questions that I had I had in mind when I pointed to Metamorphosis Alpha. Most gamers know it as just a title but might have some idea that it was briefly influential and popular in the late 70's. From this inauspicious start, Goodman Games managed to gin up enough interest for a strongly funded Kickstarter and cobbled together the workforce to make a surprisingly extensive and nicely presented line of products. This is clearly a side project and labor of love rather than the company's main business, but they presented products with a range and quality the TFT community would be more than happy to see. I actually think TFT has a much stronger starting market than MA (quite a few people know it, there are probably several thousand who play it actively, it is connected to a well known, in-print system, and it is intrinsically a better game with a deeper catalogue of material). But the two games present pretty similar business models.
Good point! It will be interesting to see whether SJG opts for strictly in-house publication, or goes for something more community oriented. Given that people have HAD to create their own stuff (barring lazy types like me, who do a lot of conversions) over the past 35 years, I'll bet there are a LOT of good adventures/dungeons out there if people dug through their own materials!
Old 01-12-2018, 05:39 PM   #276
marctabyanan

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLV View Post
Good point! It will be interesting to see whether SJG opts for strictly in-house publication, or goes for something more community oriented. Given that people have HAD to create their own stuff (barring lazy types like me, who do a lot of conversions) over the past 35 years, I'll bet there are a LOT of good adventures/dungeons out there if people dug through their own materials!
JLV, you are right. No matter how it is done, having the adventures for players to run will be important to the long term revival of TFT—and for it to expand beyond us people who have loved it since the Carter administration.
marctabyanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:39 PM   #277
GamerApe

Count me in for releasing the entire rules set at once. I'd much rather have a Kickstarter for Advanced Melee, Advanced Wizard and In the Labyrinth together than separate projects. If this was popular enough, an additional Kickstarter could supply the adventures. It would also allow starting a campaign as soon as possible! Bring on the walking land-octopi! Thirty-five years? Yowch! Excuse me while I go off to gum my oatmeal...
GamerApe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 06:42 PM   #278
larsdangly

I for one am going to put my time where my mouth is, ditch all those wonky rules based projects for a while, and just make a big, cool TFT dungeon.
larsdangly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:49 PM   #279
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by larsdangly View Post
I for one am going to put my time where my mouth is, ditch all those wonky rules based projects for a while, and just make a big, cool TFT dungeon.
That's the spirit! And if you're so inclined, please contact SJG about submitting it too! Maybe you'll have the beginnings of our first TFT "Megadungeon!"
Old 01-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #280
JLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by marctabyanan View Post
JLV, you are right. No matter how it is done, having the adventures for players to run will be important to the long term revival of TFT—and for it to expand beyond us people who have loved it since the Carter administration.
"The Carter Administration!" Jesus. Now I feel...really old...

(I lived in El Paso, Texas, in 1977, and I remember hearing the helicopters fly over my house every night, practicing to rescue the hostages from Iran -- which ended in the Desert One fiasco, unfortunately. Everyone in El Paso knew what was going on, and not one person in my High School would even mention the helicopters, much less speculate about what was going down. Nowadays it would be all over Twitter and Facebook...)