Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #1
Ashtagon

Default Stats for a scythe?

Previous discussions suggest that military war-scythes should best be stated out as some kind of fauchard. But what about the other two "scythes" that exist?

a) The agricultural tool, complete with handles, complex S-curved haft, and blade set at a weird angle to the haft?

b) The weapon depicted in most modern fantasy versions, where it is esentially an oversized two-handed kama?

Last edited by Ashtagon; 12-01-2017 at 01:58 PM.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
JoelSammallahti

Default Re: Stats for a scythe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashtagon View Post
a) The agricultural tool, complete with handles, complex S-curved haft, and blade set at a weird angle to the haft?
I think there are stats for this in Horror.
JoelSammallahti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:24 AM   #3
Purple Haze

a) Having used one, for cutting hay, they are heavy and incredibly awkward for anything other than their intended purpose. You could swing it around near the ground to dissuade a pack of dogs, but against a human with a real weapon hopeless.

b) Low-Tech refers the ogama and the two-handed falx back to scythe (B224). So that is clearly meant to cover all real weapons.
Purple Haze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 12:33 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
a) Having used one, for cutting hay, they are heavy and incredibly awkward for anything other than their intended purpose. You could swing it around near the ground to dissuade a pack of dogs, but against a human with a real weapon hopeless.
As with all bizarre farm implements, Hector Paulus Mair gives hope to the hopeless.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 01:31 PM   #5
Purple Haze

Those are straight-handled and more delicate blades than the typical agricultural version: http://79.170.40.39/scytheassociatio...thes-a-w-1.jpg

I believe yours are called Austrian scythes, and these are called English or American scythes.
Old 12-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #6
Ashtagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
As with all bizarre farm implements, Hector Paulus Mair gives hope to the hopeless.
I wouldn't read too much into Hector Mair for this. He was writing in the 16th century, at a time when anyone in the market for a book would be wealthy enough to be duelling with pistols and/or swords. Certainly not with peasant farm tools. It's more likely that book was written for Renaissance weapon nerds rather than for real combat training.

Last edited by Ashtagon; 12-01-2017 at 02:01 PM.
Ashtagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
I wouldn't read too much into Hector Mair for this. He was writing in the 16th century, at a time when anyone in the market for a book would be wealthy enough to be duelling with pistols and/or swords. Certainly not with peasant farm tools. It's more likely that book was written for Renaissance weapon nerds rather than for real combat training.
I think the idea was "What if I get in a fight in a barn?"
Old 12-01-2017, 02:24 PM   #8
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Haze View Post
Those are straight-handled and more delicate blades than the typical agricultural version: http://79.170.40.39/scytheassociatio...thes-a-w-1.jpg

I believe yours are called Austrian scythes, and these are called English or American scythes.
I think those are TL5.
Old 12-01-2017, 07:17 PM   #9
Railstar

Quote:
Previous discussions suggest that military war-scythes should best be stated out as some kind of fauchard. But what about the other two "scythes" that exist?

b) The weapon depicted in most modern fantasy versions, where it is esentially an oversized two-handed kama?
Scythes are listed in Low-Tech, their stat-line is on Page 70. They use Two-Handed Axe (not Polearm), their main problem is double-daggers by ST, so they need a round to ready between swings.

I'd treat A as cheap-quality, and average penalty for improvised weapons using the Two-Handed Axe skill in Horror is -2, so if you want harsh realism apply that, although I feel the double-daggers are unwieldy enough.

Then B is the regular stat-line, or could be a fine or balanced scythe.

I hope that helps.
Railstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 07:22 PM   #10
Purple Haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I think those are TL5.
Which OP is clearly referencing.