Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-03-2017, 12:55 PM   #1
Hellboy
On Notice

Default Delimiting Cross/Supported Parry

MA121 has the major drawback of preventing further parries with the limbs/weapons in the turn. Presumably if you only have two arms this would limit you to a leg parry and an anti-grappling parry if torso is targeted.

Not a major handicap for those with low stats but crippling at high skill levels. I want to design an advantage which removes this limit so you can keep parrying after using either.

Considering Enhanced Parry is 5 for one weapon, 10 for all, and Supported Parry adds +1 the cost would probably be a guideline. Two things to observe

1) special benefit: parry as if you had a two handed weapon (not sure what this means except maybe double The max weight?)

2) special drawback: both parries are expended for each arm (so -4 as usual if you go a second time)

To me it seems like 2 more than balances out 1. To the point where I would think it should cost less than 10 for this. Not sure to what degree.

Delimiting cross parry is harder to price. For +2 we are looking at 10 for one weapon, 20 points for all Enhanced Parry as baseline.

1) parry double BL instead of BL (like Supported)

2) uses up a parry from both hands (like Supported)

3) combine weight for antibreakage

4) can stop flail and kusari

5) critical miss affects both limbs/weapons instead of just the one being supported.

Wondering if maybe a technique is the way to go here.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 03:55 PM   #2
talonthehand

Default Re: Delimiting Cross/Supported Parry

I'm not certain if what you're saying is what you mean to be saying. Delimiting means to mark the boundaries of - in this case, showing at what point cross or supported parries stop being functional. Do you maybe mean "remove the limits of" when you say delimiting?
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2017, 07:38 AM   #3
Hellboy
On Notice

Yes, I goofed, appears I should have said "unlimiting".

It just sounded extreme since unlimited usual means without limits while I am simply reducing them but still keeping some limits.

Basically to allow cross/supported to be repeatable like other two handed parries (wrestle, sumo, 2H weapons) and figuring the cost.

Supported parry may be simplest. It is "enhanced parry" with "one handed weapons only" and "must have a free hand" and "costs an extra parry with that free hand" for whatever that is worth.

Cross parry is more difficult to build since it also lessens chance of weapon breakage, opens your other weapon to injury, does not require free hand, is necessitated if you use Two Handed Punch...
Old 10-04-2017, 10:55 AM   #4
Varyon

Eh, I'd probably say that being able to use them without losing the ability to Parry is about a Perk for each weapon skill (lump all of "unarmed" together here), and roughly [5] for all skills. You could cut it up into handling Supported and Cross Parry separately, meaning being able to do either free with any weapon (or even unarmed) would cost [10].
Old 10-04-2017, 12:21 PM   #5
Hellboy
On Notice

Sounds about right... I think I would rather 5 for both. I guess am wondering about dtat mechanics like using custom tech niue design or if there is a precedent we could use to justify for pricing like "allows x when x is normally forbidden"

Sprawling Parry's allowing retreats when they are normally illegal comes to mind although retreat and parry are not analogous.