Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #11
Stormcrow

Default Re: How much smarter would you need to make a horse so to pull your wagon undirected?

I think Mr. Ed established that a horse's IQ has nothing to do with its willingness to do what you want.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:49 AM   #12
Bruno

Default Re: How much smarter would you need to make a horse so to pull your wagon undirected?

Most animals really like their routines, and prefer to stick to them. If anything, more intelligence is associated with less obsession with routine - you can rely on your smarts more when you're in an unfamiliar situation, so you don't have to avoid unfamiliar situations as much.

Giving them a false memory (Delusion) that this particular route is their usual routine would be enough to manage most horses, at least the first few times. Eventually I think you're going to end up with a horse with mental health issues [1], just like you would with a human whos memories are messed around with too much.

[1] This is even less funny than it is in people, because a horse is big.
Old 10-01-2017, 02:12 PM   #13
Flyndaran
Untagged

Complex behavioral adaptability requires intelligence, but liking habits isn't really related to general smarts, in my opinion.

It can sometimes calm those flailing at how chaotic and hard to understand reality can be, or it can act as a way to force order on one's surroundings, or just be a personal comfort for emotional reasons unrelated to anything external.

(Full disclosure in case anyone didn't already know: I use habits to help my own anxiety issues, but am not unintelligent.)
Old 10-01-2017, 03:41 PM   #14
Bruno

Oh no, I didn't mean to imply "likes stability and routine" = "not intelligent" at all! Novelty seeking requires intelligence, intelligence doesn't require novelty seeking. Novelty avoidance doesn't require intelligence, it does not imply lack of intelligence.

It's just that if you are novelty seeking and stupid, you had better be The Hulk or you're going to get yourself in a lethal situation very quickly.
Old 10-01-2017, 05:17 PM   #15
Flyndaran
Untagged

Many house cats may beg to differ. I suppose that's more about having a smarter bigger ally to save their bacon when needed.

Last edited by Flyndaran; 10-02-2017 at 02:37 AM.
Flyndaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 07:49 PM   #16
Hellboy
On Notice

Language is a good point. How smart does a horse need to be to learn a language so you could sleep on a new route by giving verbal directions?
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 09:21 PM   #17
robkelk
Untitled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Language is a good point. How smart does a horse need to be to learn a language so you could sleep on a new route by giving verbal directions?
I suspect that one would require full sentience to understand a spoken description.
Deming (New Mexico) Headlight, 6 January 1950
robkelk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:23 PM   #18
Dalillama

Per RAW, IQ 6is needed for language. So, IQ 6. I'd add Absolute Direction personally, as long as I was tinkering.
Dalillama is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 03:39 PM   #19
Hellboy
On Notice

Hmm... If I am an IQ 6 human would suffering -1 IQ from Shock temporarily make me unable to speak or understand words?
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:13 PM   #20
talonthehand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Hmm... If I am an IQ 6 human would suffering -1 IQ from Shock temporarily make me unable to speak or understand words?
As a GM away from my books, I'd say yeah. I can certainly see an average someone suffering from shock (say, getting hit on the head) having trouble understanding what people are saying for a little bit.
talonthehand is offline   Reply With Quote