Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2017, 01:30 PM   #1
Lameth
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Control earth math help

Can someone help me with some math here, I want to make it's being done right. If you have control earth 4, and you want to move earth to create a hole 21 feet wide, 21 feet long, and 9 feet deep, how long will that take? And what if it was stone or brick of the same space, how long would it take? Thx
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:46 PM   #2
Nereidalbel
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Default Re: Control earth math help

You can move 160lbs of earth at a time. When dry, one cubic yard of dirt weighs roughly one ton. Your intended project requires moving 147 cubic yards of dirt. Long story short? You're better off paying some people to grab shovels and help you dig.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #3
Antiquation!
 
Antiquation!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Check my subdermal tracking chip
Default Re: Control earth math help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
Can someone help me with some math here, I want to make it's being done right. If you have control earth 4, and you want to move earth to create a hole 21 feet wide, 21 feet long, and 9 feet deep, how long will that take? And what if it was stone or brick of the same space, how long would it take? Thx
I'm not even approaching "math whiz" territory, but here goes:
74 lbs. per square foot of loose soil.
3969 square feet of soil in the hole in question.
Control (Earth) 4 gets you 160 lbs. of controlled material in a go, meaning you have 1836 "loads" worth of dirt with your level of control. For each load, assuming 2 seconds to establish control (walking/stooping to the next patch then concentrating) and also assuming you need to move each patch of soil a total of ~20 feet (worst case all the way from the center of the 21-foot patch and up the 9 foot depression, total 19.5 feet) at a rate of Move 4 for your Control level (12 feet a second, for a total of 2 seconds to move each batch completely out of the hole); total 4 seconds per batch.

In short, we arrive at about 7344 seconds or 123 minutes or 2 hours of walking around and concentrating to move all the dirt out of the hole in question. For brick and stone you'd do the same thing, just find the new weight per foot of the material in question and plug it into the above procedure.
__________________
"It is easiest to act first and ask forgiveness afterward. To ask first is to invite failure, and failure is never forgivable."

Last edited by Antiquation!; 10-08-2017 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Clarity, accuracy (messed up calculation big time!)
Antiquation! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:57 PM   #4
Lameth
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Control earth math help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nereidalbel View Post
You can move 160lbs of earth at a time. When dry, one cubic yard of dirt weighs roughly one ton. Your intended project requires moving 147 cubic yards of dirt. Long story short? You're better off paying some people to grab shovels and help you dig.
OK, then that would be:

147 cubic yards, so 147,000 pounds of dirt. With a power of 4 that would take 918 seconds, correct? 147,000 divided by 160 pounds of moving per second of concentration. Or 15 minutes to move that dirt, and if its 1FP per min, that 15 FP. If this is right how is it not better then the hours or days to have it done with shoves?

and what would it be with a yard of stone or brick, do you know?
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 01:58 PM   #5
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Control earth math help

Stone weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 160 pounds per cubic foot. So you'd be moving a cubic foot at a time.

It's also doubtful that you'd be able to do anything with a large block of stone. I'm not sure if you can use Control to break off single cubic feet of the relevant material, especially if it's a rigid solid. If the stone is already fractured into small chunks, you'd be fine, but not if there's a massive stone wall.
__________________
Bill Stoddard

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
Lameth
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Control earth math help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antiquation! View Post
I'm not even approaching "math whiz" territory, but here goes:
74 lbs. per square foot of loose soil.
3969 square feet of soil in the hole in question.
Control (Earth) 4 gets you 160 lbs. of controlled material in a go, meaning you have 25 "loads" worth of dirt with your level of control. For each load, assuming 2 seconds to establish control (walking/stooping to the next patch then concentrating) and also assuming you need to move each patch of soil a total of ~20 feet (from the center of the 21-foot patch and up the 9 foot depression, total 19.5 feet) at a rate of Move 4 for your Control level (16 feet a second, for a total of 2 seconds to move each batch completely out of the hole); total 4 seconds per batch.

In short, we arrive at about 100 seconds of walking around and concentrating to move all the dirt out of the hole in question. For brick and stone you'd do the same thing, just find the new weight per foot of the material in question and plug it into the above procedure.
that's a very different weight per yard then the previous poster, hmmmmm.
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #7
Nereidalbel
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Ellicott City, MD
Default Re: Control earth math help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
OK, then that would be:

147 cubic yards, so 147,000 pounds of dirt. With a power of 4 that would take 918 seconds, correct? 147,000 divided by 160 pounds of moving per second of concentration. Or 15 minutes to move that dirt, and if its 1FP per min, that 15 FP. If this is right how is it not better then the hours or days to have it done with shoves?

and what would it be with a yard of stone or brick, do you know?
You could reasonably shape stone with Control. The fact that your pit has perfectly vertical walls may be a bonus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
OK, then that would be:

147 cubic yards, so 147,000 pounds of dirt. With a power of 4 that would take 918 seconds, correct? 147,000 divided by 160 pounds of moving per second of concentration. Or 15 minutes to move that dirt, and if its 1FP per min, that 15 FP. If this is right how is it not better then the hours or days to have it done with shoves?
15 FP is enough to send the average human to half HP. It is MUCH cheaper to pay a few people to dig a hole than it is to pay somebody to take the equivalent of a knife to the gut.

Last edited by Nereidalbel; 10-08-2017 at 02:03 PM.
Nereidalbel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #8
Lameth
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Control earth math help

Quote:
Originally Posted by whswhs View Post
Stone weighs somewhere in the neighborhood of 160 pounds per cubic foot. So you'd be moving a cubic foot at a time.

It's also doubtful that you'd be able to do anything with a large block of stone. I'm not sure if you can use Control to break off single cubic feet of the relevant material, especially if it's a rigid solid. If the stone is already fractured into small chunks, you'd be fine, but not if there's a massive stone wall.
Yes but doesn't control earth give the ability to shape it? So could not the person walk up to a 1000 pound single stone and simply mold it like clay out of the way, 160 pounds at a time? or did I do that wrong?
Lameth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:03 PM   #9
Antiquation!
 
Antiquation!'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Check my subdermal tracking chip
Default Re: Control earth math help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
that's a very different weight per yard then the previous poster, hmmmmm.
Firstly, I messed up my calculation big time (it's fixed now, I think).

Secondly, I just googled "weight of soil" (1 ton per yard; divide by 27 to get weight of a cubic foot, or 74 lbs.).
__________________
"It is easiest to act first and ask forgiveness afterward. To ask first is to invite failure, and failure is never forgivable."
Antiquation! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2017, 02:15 PM   #10
whswhs
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Default Re: Control earth math help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lameth View Post
OK, then that would be:

147 cubic yards, so 147,000 pounds of dirt. With a power of 4 that would take 918 seconds, correct? 147,000 divided by 160 pounds of moving per second of concentration. Or 15 minutes to move that dirt, and if its 1FP per min, that 15 FP. If this is right how is it not better then the hours or days to have it done with shoves?

and what would it be with a yard of stone or brick, do you know?
Uh, no, a ton is 2000 pounds, so 294,000 pounds of dirt.
__________________
Bill Stoddard

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.