Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 09-08-2017, 04:05 PM   #1
Hellboy
On Notice

Default Dice idea for DMG fractions

Doubled shock for groin hits / low pain threshold doesn't give a way for odd numbered penalties....

So what if D6 was replaced with D12 divided by 2?

Then you could get 0.5 / 1.5 and suffer -1 or -3 penalties. In the first case finally a scenario where something causes pain without being enough to lose HP.

I realize this powers the average some (d12 has same max as 2d6 but avg 6.5 instead of 7) but that doesn't seem like a major hiccup.

This could also cause more versatility in the crippling system. Rolling over 1/3 HP could be done with 3.5 as well as 4. Rolling a 2.5 doesn't quite exceed 1/4 of 10 HP though, so it does make extremities a bit harder to maim.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 04:17 PM   #2
talonthehand

Default Re: Dice idea for DMG fractions

I would need to check the math to see if (eg) d12 / 2 would mess too much compared to d6 - as a house rule I'm sure it's fine.

One of the standards of GURPS is using the regular six sided dice for everything though, so I don't see many other people picking it up. If you were thinking about 2d6 / 2 as a substitute for d12 / 2, unfortunately it is not equivalent. 1d12 has equal odds of rolling anything between 1 and 12, 2d6 has a bell curve between 2 and 12 (keep in mind there are 6 ways of rolling a 7 in 2d6, and only one way of rolling a 2).

TLDR: For your home game, do what makes you happy. I don't see it catching on outside of there.
talonthehand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 08:48 PM   #3
corwyn

I agree with Talon. Do what you want, but I see a lot of added complexity (an additional mathematical step on every damage roll) for very little gain.

Running: GURPS Dungeon Fantasy drop-in
Playing: Call of Cthulhu
Playing: D&D - Hoard of the Dragon Queen
corwyn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 09:46 PM   #4
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

I would suggest actually playing GURPS first.
sir_pudding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:06 PM   #5
whswhs

Why on earth is it a problem if you don't get odd-numbered penalties? This seems to be a complicated solution for a nonexistent problem.

A human being should know how to live fast, die young, and leave a beautiful corpse. Specialization is for insects.
whswhs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 10:42 PM   #6
ericbsmith

Location: Binghamton, NY, USA. Near the river Styx in the 5th Circle.

If you really must have odd numbered penalties here's a simpler solution: In a rare circumstance where it actually matters roll 1d6; on a 1-3 the penalty is reduced by 1 (so a -2 becomes -1).

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it because in practice it's extra complication for minimal gain.
ericbsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2017, 11:28 PM   #7
Varyon

A simpler way that won't screw with probability would be, anytime something is doubled (shock, knockback, damage, etc), roll d12's in place of d6's. Use the actual rolls for assessing such effects, but for determining actual damage divide each value in half, rounding up.

Let's consider a 2d cr dkb attack to the groin. Instead of 2d6, doubled for knockback and shock (such that those are always even numbers), roll 2d12. This will give knockback/shock ranging from 2 to 24, as before, but will include odd numbers as well. For actual damage, read rolls of 1 or 2 as 1, 3 or 4 as 2, 5 or 6 as 3, 7 or 8 as 4, 9 or 10 as 5, and 11 or 12 as 6. So, a roll of 5 and 10 would be 15 for knockback and shock purposes, 8 for damage purposes.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:29 AM   #8
Hellboy
On Notice

I like that idea. I would probably just round down since I like the idea of damage less shock.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 06:31 PM   #9
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
I like that idea. I would probably just round down since I like the idea of damage less shock.
Allowing a penetrating d12 roll of 0 or -1 in such a case (due to modifiers or DR) to result in no damage but -1 shock will accomplish that, without reducing damage. Rounding down will mean targeting the groin, for example, will cause less damage and more shock than targeting the torso.