Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 06-17-2017, 12:10 AM   #1
Hellboy
On Notice

Default more incentives 4 technique adaptation: feint

The example given for the Technique Adaptation perk from Power-Ups 2 pg 17 (changed from MA 52):

if you have Technique Adaptation (Feint) and at least one point in Feint (Karate), you can go on to raise Feint (Judo),
I'm trying to figure out why someone would actually do this. Like if you bought Feint up to +4 for Karate, this perk gives you a +4 relative to your Judo skill too?

That seems like an advantage if your Judo skill is higher but sorta pointless if it was lower...

For Judo / Karate they are too similar for me to find an incentive, but I do see one if we compare skills like Boxing/Brawling to Judo/Karate.

Where it would come into play is encumbrance penalties. If you had bought up a really high Karate Feint, your Karate is penalized by encumbrance so your karate feints should be as well... but adapting your feint to something like Boxing and allow you to Box-Feint at +4 too would let you roll potentially higher even if your Boxing skill was lower, as long as the encumbrance penalties you avoid would be more than how much lower it was.

Another reason could be attack range. Someone who is originally a higher-skilled boxer (like DX+5 or something) might always have a better Feint with his punches (he's maxed it to Boxing+4)... but he can't use Boxing to Feint at 1 yard because Boxing can't do kicks... but if he adapts his technique to Brawling then his Brawling Kicks could Feint at his +4 boxing skill, but do it at his Brawling skill.

Another issue I think where this could come up is with RESISTING feints.

Some of the combat skills suffer a penalty parrying weapons (boxing/brawling) or parrying kicks (boxing) so perhaps in resisting a feint using that, rolling against that skill to resist a feint from that kind of attack should suffer a similar penalty?

A boxer for example, is going to suck at reading kick-feints, so he'd be better off adapting his general feinting skill to brawling, which wouldn't suffer a penalty reading kick feints.

That said... I think feinting with kicks should suffer -2 to skill. Feinting with specific techniques to modify range should suffer penalties for that.

The brawler in turn, should suffer penalties in a quick contest to resist a feint from weapons. To avoid that, he should have to do technique adaptation to judo or karate, which avoid those penalties.
Hellboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:29 AM   #2
Nemoricus

Default Re: more incentives 4 technique adaptation: feint

If I understood Technique Adaptation correctly, all it does is let you buy the same technique for other skills without needing additional training, *if* you already know it for one skill.
Nemoricus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:50 AM   #3
Hellboy
On Notice

Er... so it's basically just an unusual background then?

It isnít meaningful in a campaign where the GM doesnít require training to learn techniques!
Blast... maybe I'm thinking of something else here...

Skill Adaptation like Acrobatic Feints is just giving Feint to something that normally lacks it...

So I guess there isn't any perk to get Feint (Boxing and Karate) and have 1 maxed technique usable with either skill as a base?
Old 06-17-2017, 05:26 AM   #4
mlangsdorf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
So I guess there isn't any perk to get Feint (Boxing and Karate) and have 1 maxed technique usable with either skill as a base?
Not that I'm aware of, but it seems like a pretty reasonable variation of Attribute Substitution.

I'd do it something like this:
Skill Substitution (requires Specialization): You've trained to use the techniques you've learned for one skill with another skill. Specialize by base skill and substituted skill, e.g., Skill Substitution (Boxing/Karate) lets you use your Boxing/Feint technique as though it were Karate/Feint. You can only use substitution for techniques that are common to both skills: Skill Substitution (Judo/Karate) does not let you perform Arm Locks with your Karate skill.
Old 06-17-2017, 05:01 PM   #5
Hellboy
On Notice

Does attribute substitution give you the option of switching ? Like with IQ based karate, if you had high IQ at night and high DX in day you could opt to go with your strength?
Old 06-18-2017, 07:07 AM   #6
Anders
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Does attribute substitution give you the option of switching ? Like with IQ based karate, if you had high IQ at night and high DX in day you could opt to go with your strength?
The way I read the perk, no.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 06:03 PM   #7
Hellboy
On Notice

I suppose taking a +10% Switchable enhancement would. That would bump it to 2 points unless there was a limitation to counterbalance it.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:00 AM   #8
Anders
Banned

I think it's RAW that you can't put enhancements and limitations on perks )p. B100), but I don't know if that still holds.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 09:15 PM   #9
Hellboy
On Notice

Missed that part. No cosmic fur then?