Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2017, 04:58 AM   #1
Jaware
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Default Switch able weapons?

This has provably been asked before, but I can't find it anywhere.

So here goes. Is there any rules, or anything on weapons that change form at the cost of something? For example a turn and or maybe some FP?

I'm trying to think of an interesting weapon for a PC/NPC. Like for example, the charge axe from monster hunter. It's a sword and shield, but it turns into an axe. Or another example, almost any weapon from bloodbornes trick weapons. And another another example, a mace that can switch from mace to flail with "the flick of a switch".

It doesn't have to be all realistic, "because magic, just deal" can do lots of work.

Anybody have any leads they could show me? Thoughts? Suggestions? Etc?

Oh, and if anybody also knows of some way to imbue your weapon to explode and cause damage to everything around you and yourself, if like to know. Or, if none exist, is ther a way to enchant a weapon to have the explosive modifier on its damage?

Last edited by Jaware; 05-23-2017 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Added another example
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:05 AM   #2
Cryoshakespeare
 
Join Date: May 2017
Default Re: Switch able weapons?

It could be as simple as needing a ready action in combat to change the form of your weapon, much like needing to ready a long polearm to be used at different ranges. Instead of just changing reach, you could also change damage types and such things.
Cryoshakespeare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 06:52 AM   #3
Anders
Banned
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Re: Switch able weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
This has provably been asked before, but I can't find it anywhere.

So here goes. Is there any rules, or anything on weapons that change form at the cost of something? For example a turn and or maybe some FP?

I'm trying to think of an interesting weapon for a PC/NPC. Like for example, the charge axe from monster hunter. It's a sword and shield, but it turns into an axe. Or another example, almost any weapon from bloodbornes trick weapons. And another another example, a mace that can switch from mace to flail with "the flick of a switch".

It doesn't have to be all realistic, "because magic, just deal" can do lots of work.

Anybody have any leads they could show me? Thoughts? Suggestions? Etc?
I would probably look at the rules in High-Tech for combining gadgets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
Oh, and if anybody also knows of some way to imbue your weapon to explode and cause damage to everything around you and yourself, if like to know. Or, if none exist, is ther a way to enchant a weapon to have the explosive modifier on its damage?
There's Shockwave, from Imbuements.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
Varyon
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Default Re: Switch able weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaware View Post
So here goes. Is there any rules, or anything on weapons that change form at the cost of something? For example a turn and or maybe some FP?
Well, are you trying to build this as gear, an Advantage, or something else? For gear, you can basically just say "Hey, this takes n (seconds/FP/whatever) to change forms," possibly with the ability for a relevant skill to reduce this. For an Advantage, this might be of use, allowing you to add extra time, an FP cost, etc for changing from one ability (weapon form) in an Alternate Ability set to another. Turn the entire AA set into a single trait, then apply appropriate Gadget modifiers. If you need to price the weapon as gear, a decent way is to build it as a single trait, as above, then then use the rules from Metatronic Generators (Pyramid #3/46) to turn it into gear.

For something in-between, you could actually build a weaker version using the Pyramid article, then have the appropriate Enhancements as an Advantage the character has. For example, in Flame of Recca, the Kougan Anki is a weapon with 5 forms - a naginata, a kusarigama, a giant pair of scissors (no, really), a boomerang, and a bow. It's actually a complex mechanical puzzle to change forms - a skilled user can go from one form to the next in, IIRC, 10 minutes or so. You'd build that with Immediate Preparation Required, for the default weapon. The character who uses it in the manga/anime, Koganei, is stated to do it in slightly over 2 seconds, but the way it actually works during fights is that he does it instantly - he'd buy off the Preparation Required.
__________________
GURPS Overhaul
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
Anders
Banned
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Re: Switch able weapons?

Perhaps a Gadget-limited Alternate Form, with the special effect that it transforms the gadget, not the wearer?
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:03 AM   #6
Donny Brook
 
Donny Brook's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Default Re: Switch able weapons?

Check out the Morph Axe, Ultratech p83.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #7
Anders
Banned
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Re: Switch able weapons?

Imbuements seems to do a lot of what you want.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:00 PM   #8
Jaware
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Default Re: Switch able weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I would probably look at the rules in High-Tech for combining gadgets.



There's Shockwave, from Imbuements.
Shockwave centers on you and you take no damage though. The
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:38 PM   #9
Jaware
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Default Re: Switch able weapons?

Alright my friends. I feel the need to appologize. I was up for a great many hours when I made my post. So I wasn't exactly able to put my thoughts into words in a way that best conveys my struggle and what I wish assistance with.

As for the weapon, I don't really need advice on how to design it. I can pretty much flounder my way through the process for that. Nor do I need help with a activation system if you will. What my query was about, or was supposed to be about, was how to price it and rarity etc.

For example. I am trying to build a magical katana for a master spell-swordsman. I am building to the glaive-mini specifications. But as for aesthetics it looks a lot like a 2 handed Katana. Albeit with a. Handle about double length then it should be. And the blade is way to bulky to be a normal katana.

The trick to the weapon is, one can ready the weapon and the blade slides down and it effectively doubles to a reach 2 semi balanced katana. The sword itself has some other properties as well. Unimportant for this post, but for completion purposes, it's got a "dimi-God of war" locked within it. Granting it all kinds of fancy abilities. Like the ability to make the blade act like sharp scales and spread apart in the victim as the blade is pulled through them. Causing pain and making the wound not close easily (hemophelia disadvantage for that wound) etc. all of these special abilities cost FP and they curse the user to become a demon of war as well.

Details details details.

Anyway. One can also pay an FP to make the blade change length once a turn before or after any other action.

What I was looking for is how to price such a weapon. Or gaget etc.

This one in particular would be a treasure and therefore be priceless.

However. Take a spear tat can be changed into a naginata or something similar.

The overall price would be worth more than the sum of its parts, because options are worth more than anything in many situations.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:40 PM   #10
Jaware
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Everywhere and Nowhere
Default Re: Switch able weapons?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Well, are you trying to build this as gear, an Advantage, or something else? For gear, you can basically just say "Hey, this takes n (seconds/FP/whatever) to change forms," possibly with the ability for a relevant skill to reduce this. For an Advantage, this might be of use, allowing you to add extra time, an FP cost, etc for changing from one ability (weapon form) in an Alternate Ability set to another. Turn the entire AA set into a single trait, then apply appropriate Gadget modifiers. If you need to price the weapon as gear, a decent way is to build it as a single trait, as above, then then use the rules from Metatronic Generators (Pyramid #3/46) to turn it into gear.

For something in-between, you could actually build a weaker version using the Pyramid article, then have the appropriate Enhancements as an Advantage the character has. For example, in Flame of Recca, the Kougan Anki is a weapon with 5 forms - a naginata, a kusarigama, a giant pair of scissors (no, really), a boomerang, and a bow. It's actually a complex mechanical puzzle to change forms - a skilled user can go from one form to the next in, IIRC, 10 minutes or so. You'd build that with Immediate Preparation Required, for the default weapon. The character who uses it in the manga/anime, Koganei, is stated to do it in slightly over 2 seconds, but the way it actually works during fights is that he does it instantly - he'd buy off the Preparation Required.
I am unfamiliar with much of the content presented. But I will look into it. Possibly this answers my question.
Jaware is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
black tech, fantasy, imbuement, magic, weapons

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:25 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.