Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 02-18-2017, 04:00 AM   #1
Hellboy
On Notice

Default favorite/interesting Dabbler combinations?

Power-Ups 2 Perks p 16 makes me wonder about what ideas people have come up with on how to do interesting combinations for Dabbler, and if you have any terms you came up with to call this collection of almost-skills.

I guess someone could select a full 8 (like for example 8 melee weapon skills) but it almost seems kinda boring that way. Trading in so it's fewer skills at a higher bonus seems easier to come up with a niche.

Even though it is probably most efficient at 8 for +1 or 4 for +2, I'll group mine in a 'less is more' fashion, just going with pairs for +3.

One really good defensive Dabbler duo I think would be Acrobatics (DX-3) and either Cloak (DX-2) or Shield (DX-1) for example seems like a dream for someone who is defensive in nature.

Hiking (HT-2) + Running (HT-2) would also seem pretty good, reflecting someone who dabbles in both long and short distance traversal.

B219 since average Sex Appeal defs -3 and 1 full point brings it to -1, you could only get HT-2 via Dabbler leaving 7 other points to deal with... Erotic Art (DX-2) would leave 3 more free... maybe First Aid (IQ-2) and Fast-Talk (IQ-4) to round it out?
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:29 AM   #2
johndallman

Default Re: favorite/interesting Dabbler combinations?

I tend to use Dabbler when I'm tight on points and have background to fill in. My biggest use of the perk was on a character who had just finished a PhD in jump-drive physics and was going on to naval officer college:

His hobbies: Connoisseur (Music, def+3), Connoisseur (Animation, def+3).
Skills for being a senior student: Teaching (def+3), Research (def+2), Writing (def+2).
Assorted: Astronomy (def+2), Housekeeping (def+2), Navigation (Space, def+2), History (Naval, def+2).

Astronomy and Navigation were supporting knowledge for the PhD, History was among his reasons for trying to become a naval officer. Some of those Dabbler slots have been turned into full skills, and others will be.

For a much longer-running character, after filling in some details of his teenage years, I considered taking a retroactive Dabbler in things he'd have learned in the year of apprenticeship he actually completed, but the GM didn't feel it was important and every experience point is precious at present.
johndallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:33 AM   #3
johndallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
One really good defensive Dabbler duo I think would be Acrobatics (DX-3) and either Cloak (DX-2) or Shield (DX-1) for example seems like a dream for someone who is defensive in nature.
Looks like a great way to fail lots of defence rolls to me.
Old 02-18-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
Crystalline_Entity

Quote:
Originally Posted by johndallman View Post
Agreed - I think Dabbler is more useful for non-combat skills where you can get bonuses to the skill level for time spent, good quality equipment, etc. Relying on Dabbler for combat skills sounds like desperation to me - you'll rarely manage to attack or defend, I think you'd be better off spending that point on a single skill.
Crystalline_Entity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:13 PM   #5
corwyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
No, a good defensive duo would be to actually put 1+ points into both skills. if you are trying to save a few points, the last place you should skimp is on skills you actually want to rely on; especially defense.

Quote:
Hiking (HT-2) + Running (HT-2) would also seem pretty good, reflecting someone who dabbles in both long and short distance traversal.
Running doesn't do much if it's below HT - I guess it will still help in a straight foot race against an opponent of equal move.

Running: Ravaged Earth
Co-running D&D 5e Curse of Strahd
Playing: D&D 5e - Hoard of the Dragon Queen
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 11:49 PM   #6
RyanW

I tend to use Dabbler for skills a character doesn't strictly need to know in his profession, but that they are likely to be around a lot and would pick up just by osmosis. For example, my reporter character used it for familiarity (if not expertise) in Forensics and a few other police skills.
RyanW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:28 AM   #7
Anders
Banned

Quote:
Depends on your DX, I suppose. I could see it work if you have DX 14+.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 08:49 AM   #8
johndallman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
Depends on your DX, I suppose. I could see it work if you have DX 14+.
Well, if you have DX15, it gives you a Block of 10+Shield DB, and an Acrobatics of 12, which is a 25.9% chance of making things worse when you try it. I'd rather have one less level of DX and be competent in the skills for defending.
Old 02-19-2017, 01:29 PM   #9
corwyn

Quote:
Well, if you have DX15, it gives you a Block of 10+Shield DB, and an Acrobatics of 12, which is a 25.9% chance of making things worse when you try it. I'd rather have one less level of DX and be competent in the skills for defending.
15 DX gives you a block of 8 plus Shield (11 shield skill) and Acrobatics 9. one point in each of them would give you block 10+DB and Acrobatics 13, somewhat reliable. If defense was important to me, I'd skimp somewhere else.

Running: Ravaged Earth
Co-running D&D 5e Curse of Strahd
Playing: D&D 5e - Hoard of the Dragon Queen
corwyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 01:40 PM   #10
Anders
Banned

Quote:
Ok, let's put it this way - it's only a good idea at all if you have DX 14 or more.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dabbler