Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 04-05-2017, 11:23 AM   #11
Anders
Banned

Default Re: Enhanced Dodge 1 -80% [3]

I can see it against a very small group though - everyone who has trained at the same dojo?
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #12
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anders View Post
I can see it against a very small group though - everyone who has trained at the same dojo?
To some extent this is the idea behind Style Familiarity.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 08:32 PM   #13
Donny Brook

Enhanced Dodge (Preparation required (1min) -20%, Trigger (common)-20%, Limited Use (4/day) -20%, Aftermath (low empathy) -10%, Unreliable 14-, -10%. Net -80%)
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:50 PM   #14
Hellboy
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
Enhanced Dodge (Preparation required (1min) -20%, Trigger (common)-20%, Limited Use (4/day) -20%, Aftermath (low empathy) -10%, Unreliable 14-, -10%. Net -80%)
Any trigger in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
I wouldn't pay more than a Perk for +1 dodge against one specific opponent.
Well a.3 point ability 1/5 as an alternate ability would be just 1 point. I think you need a readymaneuvsr to switch alternate abilities so you would be in troubke having to dodge both at once if you spend 2 perks in it.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:06 PM   #15
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Brook View Post
You meditate for a minute, then at any time thereafter you are able to take some common substance (a drug of some sort?) to gain the ability to dodge better for a minute, but you suffer from Low Empathy for a minute thereafter? That seems appropriate for a cinematic warrior of some sort, but not for a realistic one. The only realistic part of that is Unreliable, which basically just makes it not be a full +1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Well a.3 point ability 1/5 as an alternate ability would be just 1 point. I think you need a readymaneuvsr to switch alternate abilities so you would be in troubke having to dodge both at once if you spend 2 perks in it.
Realistic baseline humans don't have Alternate Abilities (realistic cyborgs might, if you build their cybernetics as Advantages rather than gear).
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 11:28 PM   #16
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
+1 to dodge against one opponent isn't worth two points. It's barely worth one.
Old 04-05-2017, 11:32 PM   #17
simply Nathan
formerly known as 'Kenneth Latrans'

Quote:
What about +1 to all Active Defenses against a specific opponent?
Old 04-05-2017, 11:34 PM   #18
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
What about +1 to all Active Defenses against a specific opponent?
Yeah I would probably suggest that instead to a player who wanted this. I would suggest Style Familiarity in any of that person's styles as prerequisites, though.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:50 AM   #19
Donny Brook

Quote:
Any trigger in mind?
You have to have a sprig of jimson weed in contact with your skin.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:44 AM   #20
Hellboy
On Notice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
For realistic Ranged Only Enhanced Dodge, I'd be tempted to allow a single level of Enhanced Dodge (Ranged Only -20%, Only While Moving Half Move or More -20%) in a realistic campaign, to represent particularly evasive movement
The total -40% here is equal to (Limited, Light, -40%) mentioned on Powers 130/146.

Quote:
(maybe add another -5% or -10% to disallow attacking while using it). One Foe -20% and All Out Defense Only -20% could be tacked on to drop it to -80%.
P123 (Biological Energy) P129 (Kinetic Energy) or P134 (Teleportation) give options for -10% power modifiers: Super for -10% (all) Biological/Chi (BE) Elemental (KE) Magical (T) or Psionic (B/T)

Do you know where All Out Defense Only -20% could be found? PU8 Limitations 11 has All-Out -25% but only for All Out Attack or All Out Concentrate. I was thinking of using the latter as an add-on for B114's "Preparation Required 1 minute -20%" for a total of -45%.

-20% seems a bit light for 1 foe... P121 says Enhanced Defenses (any),
with Limited, Animals (-60%) for example. Being better at dodging all animals seems more useful than being better at dodging 1 opponent in the universe.

Quote:
If your levels of ED are made alternate abilities of something else (a +1 to will or perception would be adequate, worth +5. You could even do +1 to FP since it's 3 but I don't know the mechanics of swapping out HP/FP as Alternate Abilities) then they would be 1 point as an alternate ability.

Since the 1/5 allows the base cost to be 5, on 15 that would actually mean you'd only have to take -65% worth of limitations.

If one is willing to take very punitive limitations, you could even stack on an enhancement like Cosmic.

Quote:
Realistic baseline humans don't have Alternate Abilities (realistic cyborgs might, if you build their cybernetics as Advantages rather than gear).
Powers 11 based on B61 doesn't mention it's limited to realistic characters.

Mentally focusing on preparing for dodging or parrying seems like a realistic idea for selecting enhanced dodge or enhanced parry as alternative abilities. P11's optional rule specifies needing a ready maneuver to switch between them, which basically means dodging/parrying in the same turn could not benefit from both.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote