Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-19-2017, 02:25 PM   #1
Anders

Default Leveled Unluckiness

Unluckiness is kind of the dark cousin to Serendipity - once per session something will go really bad for you. Would it be reasonable to allow for two or even three levels of Unluckiness? At what cost - -10/level, -5 + -5/level? Something else?
Old 03-19-2017, 03:10 PM   #2
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Default Re: Leveled Unluckiness

It already sort of is -10/-75.

Last edited by sir_pudding; 03-19-2017 at 09:45 PM.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:02 PM   #3
NineDaysDead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
It already sort of is -10/-70.
Nitpick that should be -75 points for cursed.
NineDaysDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
Buzzardo

I'd like to see it be more nuanced, too. At present, we have Unluckiness and Cursed on the negative side. On the positive side, we have Luck (which includes Luck, Extraordinary Luck and Ridiculous Luck and which can be Active, Aspected, or Defensive), Serendipidity, and Super Luck.

It seems like we have just the extremes for unluckiness - low at -10 and extreme at -75. I'd like to see values in the middle, and it makes perfect sense to me that unluckiness can be aspected ("lucky at cards, unlucky at love", etc.). Active unluckiness doesn't makes sense, but defensive does. Also, offensive unluckiness makes sense, too. "I never have troubles blocking, but I sometimes have an awful time hitting."

Just my $.05 (inflation gets to everything).

Want a random dungeon? How about some tables for that? How about a random encounter?
Buzzardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:26 PM   #5
David Johnston2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzardo View Post
I'd like to see it be more nuanced, too. At present, we have Unluckiness and Cursed on the negative side. On the positive side, we have Luck (which includes Luck, Extraordinary Luck and Ridiculous Luck and which can be Active, Aspected, or Defensive), Serendipidity, and Super Luck.

It seems like we have just the extremes for unluckiness - low at -10 and extreme at -75..
Unluckiness is pretty severe in it's own right. It's only worth a modest amount because it can only be invoked once per session putting it in the same category as Serendipity which costs 15 points to Unluckiness's 10 and can also be invoked once per session. There's however another member of the set which is worth remembering. Weirdness Magnet.
David Johnston2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
disadvantage, leveled disadvantages, unluckiness