Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-17-2017, 12:44 PM   #41
Anthony

Default Re: [Basic] Advantage of the Week (#36): Digital Mind

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Which seems off, because Robocop's brain dies if he runs out of paste to eat. I suppose that could be Machine and Dependency (Nutrient paste) though.

On the other hand, AI-guy can still be rebooted even if he was in a bioshell, which wouldn't have Machine.
These are two halves of the same problem: it's technically possible to have a machine brain in a bio body, or a bio brain in a machine body, and it's possible to have a digital mind running on a biobrain (this is explicitly stated on B48).
Old 03-17-2017, 12:45 PM   #42
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
These are two halves of the same problem: it's technically possible to have a machine brain in a bio body, or a bio brain in a machine body, and it's possible to have a digital mind running on a biobrain (this is explicitly stated on B48).
The machine brain in the bio-body doesn't have Machine, though.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #43
Anthony

Quote:
The machine brain in the bio-body doesn't have Machine, though.
It's not clear that the biobrain in the mechanical body has Machine either. And the digital mind running on a biocomputer doesn't have the ability to shut down for extended periods.
Old 03-17-2017, 02:17 PM   #44
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
And the digital mind running on a biocomputer doesn't have the ability to shut down for extended periods.
The digital brain running on a puppet implant in a bioshell does, though.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:21 PM   #45
Anthony

Quote:
The digital brain running on a puppet implant in a bioshell does, though.
Yes, but that's still a hardware feature, not an aspect of Digital Mind.
Old 03-17-2017, 04:39 PM   #46
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Yes, but that's still a hardware feature, not an aspect of Digital Mind.
What trait is it then?
Old 03-17-2017, 05:03 PM   #47
Anthony

Quote:
What trait is it then?
It's a hypothetical 'partial machine' trait. Or Immunity to Metabolic Hazards (Brain Only).
Old 03-17-2017, 06:18 PM   #48
Otaku

I began this post a little over seven hours ago, but was interrupted. I'm not going to ignore what has been said since, but I think some thinks have still been missed, hence me bothering to make the post at all.

Quote:
Sapient software-based AI is not a thing yet, no. Neither is magic. One of these things is more plausible than the other. Why isn't Magery too setting-specific for inclusion in the Basic Set?
Careful if you don't want to derail the thread. ;) Since you are unaware, I think Magery may indeed be too setting-specific for [Basic]. I've made clear I have some issues with it in more than one thread on these message boards. It is a specious argument anyway, as it would just mean there are two traits that aren't as generic or universal as they ought to be, which made it into [Basic].

Realism is also a separate issue, as GURPS doesn't just cover gritty realism, but allows for both fantastic elements and stylized fictional settings. Past editions are also a factor. If Digital Mind is in Third Edition, I missed it. I checked GURPS Update and Compendium I and found no mention of it. Magery has been in GURPS since what, the beginning? At least Second Edition; in the face of limited book space that might justify including it over a less generic trait.

I would rather both traits had been made more generic and universal, however; not sure how well it could be done with Magery, but Bruno provided us an example already for Digital Mind, earlier in this thread.

Quote:
"Software-based AI" is present in more settings than just Transhuman Space; it is a recent trend of the last few decades in SF, but it is still a trend. I don't see how it is any less generic or universal than Magery or Gunslinger.
I hope the discussion with Leynok and Anthony, that occurred since the comment I quoted, has made this clear to you. It isn't just about how many settings include a trait, but how a setting handles the trait. I inquired about real examples of Digital Mind because so many of its traits are assumed, and often based on specifics of the setting or assumed physiology of the character.
  • Why does traditional telepathy or magic not work on a Digital Mind?
  • Why can a Digital Mind be turned off without ill effect?
  • Why can a digital mind be stored anyplay but the appropriate brain, computer, whatever without suffering ill effect?

My default approach, when designing a setting with such a thing, is that a copy of a mind (non-digital or digital) is basically a copy of an operating system with some programs to it. If you upload them into a new body, it might think it is that person, but it won't actually be them, just a copy. You've got me wondering if a digital mind, like a human mind, is going to be a hard thing to "suspend"; if the mind isn't "running", does it truly still exist?
My GURPS Fourth Edition library consists of Basic Set: Characters, Basic Set: Campaigns, Martial Arts, Powers, Powers: Enhanced Senses, Power-Ups 1: Imbuements, Power-Ups 2: Perks, Power-Ups 3: Talents, Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, Power-Ups 6: Quirks, Power-Ups 8: Limitations, Powers, Social Engineering, Supers, Template Toolkit 1: Characters, Template Toolkit 2: Races, one issue of Pyramid (3/83) a.k.a. Alternate GURPS IV, GURPS Classic Rogues, and GURPS Classic Warriors. Most of which was provided through the generosity of others. Thanks! :)
Otaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 06:29 PM   #49
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
  • Why does traditional telepathy or magic not work on a Digital Mind?
  • Why can a Digital Mind be turned off without ill effect?
  • Why can a digital mind be stored anyplay but the appropriate brain, computer, whatever without suffering ill effect?
The general rule of thumb for advantages is "it does what it specifically says it does".
  • Because that's what the advantage says it does.
  • It's not clear that it can be. Depends on body features, really.
  • The advantage does not say 'no ill effects'. In fact, if you don't have Uploading, you're permanently stuck wherever they stored you; it's basically the ability to case 'soul jar' via computer programming.
Old 03-17-2017, 06:43 PM   #50
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Nothing speculative should be in the Basic Set?

Tags
advantage, advantage of the week, digital mind, week, [basic]