Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-01-2017, 10:55 AM   #1
Stix4armz

Default [DF] [MAGIC] Shatterproof Enchantment

I have a quick question about the Shatterproof enchantment as it is listed on the chart in DF 1: Adventurers. In the chart the left most column lists the source spell from Magic, then the next one lists their effect.

So my question is this: If in Magic the Shatterproof spell only moves the weapon up one level less breakable, why does Adventurers list the effect as unbreakable instead? And which one is the official effect of the enchantment for a DF?
Stix4armz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:10 AM   #2
evileeyore
Banned

Default Re: [DF] [MAGIC] Shatterproof Enchantment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix4armz View Post
So my question is this: If in Magic the Shatterproof spell only moves the weapon up one level less breakable, why does Adventurers list the effect as unbreakable instead?
It was simplified for DF.

Since PCs cannot take Enchantment spells, there was little reason to go into it.

Quote:
And which one is the official effect of the enchantment for a DF?
For DF: The listing in DF 1.
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 11:12 AM   #3
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix4armz View Post
So my question is this: If in Magic the Shatterproof spell only moves the weapon up one level less breakable, why does Adventurers list the effect as unbreakable instead? And which one is the official effect of the enchantment for a DF?
Take a look at the price. I suspect (don't have Magic to check) it matches however many "levels" of Shatterproof a typical weapon (which the DF authors might have assumed to be Very Fine) needs to become truly unbreakable.
Varyon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 12:29 PM   #4
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varyon View Post
Take a look at the price. I suspect (don't have Magic to check) it matches however many "levels" of Shatterproof a typical weapon (which the DF authors might have assumed to be Very Fine) needs to become truly unbreakable.
No. DF 1's price is for the Enchantment Shatterproof, 400 energy at "Slow and Sure" pricing of $20 per point of energy.

You cannot do what you suggest and "add more levels" by Magic 4e RAW. How the enchantment works in DF was actually changed. A number of spells were changed for DF considerations, but DF 1 only deals with a handful of Enchantments (and at that it deals with them without explaining what it's doing).

But I also suspect that Kromm only really expects Shatterproof to be put on Fine or Very Fine weapons anyway.
Old 03-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #5
Kalzazz

It was the very first enchantment my character got put on her very fine, balanced, ornate 3, tempered glass longspear with lanyard
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 01:57 PM   #6
Stix4armz

Right, I'm building my wife a Swashbuckler which will be added to an existing game just over 500cp and with a bit of a budget so the new additions aren't left with starting equipment despite their power level. Making an Edged Rapier Shatterproof is immensely cheaper than crafting one out of Oricalcum, which begs the question why would anyone bother spending all the extra money on expensive weapons?

The only thing I can think is that an Oricalcum weapon is always unbreakable whereas a weapon enchanted with Shatterproof would become susceptible in a no man's zone.

If I'm not spending so much money on Oricalcum because I can save it by enchanting it with Shatterproof I'll have more room for a set of awesome armor and things too, hence the question.
Stix4armz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2017, 02:05 PM   #7
Kalzazz

As a DM I might rule shatterproof won't work in a NMZ or vs meteoric etc
Old 03-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #8
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
As a DM I might rule shatterproof won't work in a NMZ...
This is a given.

Quote:
...or vs meteoric etc
This is less so. Why would the enchantment suddenly stop working? It's not in any way affecting the Meteoric weapon.

I can see ruling that Puissant or Penetrating doesn't apply until after the damage manages to penetrate Meteoric Iron Armor, but Accuracy should still work fine.
Old 03-01-2017, 02:40 PM   #9
Kalzazz

I was thinking of trying to parry a meteoric maul with a shatterproofed rapier
Old 03-01-2017, 03:30 PM   #10
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalzazz View Post
I was thinking of trying to parry a meteoric maul with a shatterproofed rapier
TLTLIMBRN*, but I suspect the Rapier would be swept aside as it's too light to parry the Maul, but it won't break.

* Too Lazy To Look In My Books Right Now.

[EDIT]
My interpretation is based on "Does the magic affect the Meteoric Item or not?", if it does, then the Enchantment stops working in respect to the Meteoric Item, if not, then the Meteoric Item has no effect on the magic.

But then in my games Steelwraith wouldn't interact with Meteoric so*... YMMV.

* The spell makes one intangible to metal, it doesn't make the metal intangible to the mage, so a Meteoric weapon would still pass right through a Steelwraithed mage in my game.
[/EDIT]

Last edited by evileeyore; 03-01-2017 at 03:42 PM.

Tags
dungeon fantasy, magic