Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-20-2016, 12:54 PM   #1
JMason

Default DF Cost to feed/care for pets and animals

Allies and Loadouts have pets and mounts that PCs can get, but I can't find any mention of any additional cost to care for them. Many of the animals in Allies are "wild" and I guess could feed themselves, but others I would think would add cost of living to the PC.

Mounts especially seem like a significant expense that you wouldn't just gloss over as covered by the normal $150 weekly cost.

Are there any official rules on the cost of pets and mounts?
Old 12-20-2016, 01:06 PM   #2
Gnomasz

Default Re: DF Cost to feed/care for pets and animals

DF 16: Wilderness Adventures charges $150 per mount between adventures for feeding and grooming (p. 19). I guess you could change it to $150 per week. This makes sense as the creatures don't have any of Restricted Diet or Reduced Consumption, so they cost just as much as a PC.
Old 12-20-2016, 01:28 PM   #3
JMason

Ah, missed that. Thank you so much!

I still feel that many of the "pet" allies should have some extra cost associated with them, but that's probably a lot less ...and "table scraps" might be justified. ... Otherwise I might just add 10-20% on top of the normal weekly cost.
Old 12-20-2016, 02:12 PM   #4
chandley

Well, DF 10 Taverns puts a week in a private room at $95, which includes the use of a stable. So, $150 per week for any Ally that gets their own room, $50 for any that can stay with the PC (cats and dogs and imps, basically), and anything that will stand being put in the stable and treated like a horse (and wont scare the stablehands, looking at you Volcanic Goats!) can stay for free. But it is probably easiest and fairest to just charge the full $150 for every Ally that stays the whole week (not summoned or conjured).

Note that the _Ally_ would be expected to pay, unless they are Dead Broke and dependent on the PC for all purchases. They should have funds from their split of the loot however.

If they dont get put up in town, its just like anyone else camping outside of town: Survival rolls and wandering monsters for a week.
Old 12-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
Phantasm

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandley View Post
If they dont get put up in town, its just like anyone else camping outside of town: Survival rolls and wandering monsters for a week.
Failed Survival roll may mean a local farmer took offense at the animal for poaching his chickens, either trapping the animal or shooting with a crossbow or musket (depending on setting).

A pet Ally (or just an animal bought with the Pet perk) is typically made as a Dependent as well; not sure if DF: Allies covers that or not. The Pet perk is explicit in its description that the animal is both Ally and Dependent, with usefulness being a net positive. In my (normally not DF) games, various animal companions and familiars in Allies that are normally domesticated animals are Dependents as well as Allies, and therefore the PC is responsible for their actions, for well-being and misdeeds.

YMMV

"But mom, I don't wanna go back in the dungeon!"

The GURPS Marvel Universe Reboot Project A-G, H-R, and S-Z, and its not-a-wiki-really web adaptation.
Ranoc, a Muskets-and-Magery Renaissance Fantasy Setting
Phantasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 11:46 AM   #6
PK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMason View Post
Allies and Loadouts have pets and mounts that PCs can get, but I can't find any mention of any additional cost to care for them.
While in the wild, most animals will use their Survival skill to forage. But you bring up a fair point regarding weekly "in town" costs. Here are my (off-the-cuff and unofficial) thoughts:

Per DF10: Taverns, the cost of a room includes use of the inn's stable, so you wouldn't pay extra there. And pets can just sleep with you. So the only real issue here is food. Given the costs of food vs. lodging in Taverns, it's fair to eyeball food costs at $80/week. Of course, that needs to be modified for SM. As Bio-Tech explains ("Weight," p. 63), daily consumption is proportionate to the square of linear scale. Since it's reasonable to approximate SM as every two levels doubling (or halving) height, that means every +1 SM doubles or halves consumption. Or in table form:

Size Mod. --- Multiplier --- Weekly Cost
SM +4 --------- x16 --------- $1,280
SM +3 ---------- x8 ---------- $640
SM +2 ---------- x4 ---------- $320
SM +1 ---------- x2 ---------- $160
SM 0 ------------ x1 ---------- $80
SM -1 --------- x1/2 ---------- $40
SM -2 --------- x1/4 ---------- $20
SM -3 --------- x1/8 ---------- $10
SM -4 --------- x1/16 --------- $5
SM -5 --------- x1/32 --------- $3
SM -6 --------- x1/64 --------- $2
SM -7 -------- x1/128 --------- $1
SM -8 -------- x1/256 -------- neg.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:05 PM   #7
evileeyore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
As Bio-Tech explains ("Weight," p. 63)...
And again I wish register my complaint that "If Biotech is supposed to be used in DF, it should have been listed as one of the necessary books for running DF".

/complaint
evileeyore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:40 PM   #8
Varyon

Quote:
Originally Posted by evileeyore View Post
And again I wish register my complaint that "If Biotech is supposed to be used in DF, it should have been listed as one of the necessary books for running DF".

/complaint
Instead of Bio-Tech, simply extrapolate from the rules for armor and clothing from DF1 ("Armor For Giants," page 28) and DF3 ("Tiny Tools," page 8). They're nearly the same thing as what PK suggested.
Varyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2016, 01:57 PM   #9
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:

/complaint
I agree that it sounds odd to use an optional realistic rule from Biotech in Dungeon Fantasy. But DF is often about money sinks as well as treasure troves.
Make that rhino riding giant have to pay more for mount lodging than Froyo for his tiny mule. It only seems fair, right?
Old 12-21-2016, 03:20 PM   #10
Turhan's Bey Company
Aluminated

Location: East of the moon, west of the stars, close to buses and shopping

Quote:

/complaint
This is not saying that Biotech is necessary for DF. It's simply takes advantage of the fact that DF is part of GURPS, so if one is inclined to address any questions not addressed in DF, one can take advantage of the rest of GURPS to come up with an answer. If, say, I were to write up a "lord of a domain" advantage for DF, covering followers and other benefits a dungeon-crawling nobleman could derive from...well, being a nobleman, the fact that I use LTC3 and associated Pyramid articles to derive that advantage doesn't mean that DF requires Low Tech and a Pyramid subscription. It's just showing my work.

Buy my Warehouse 23 stuff, dammit!
Turhan's Bey Company is offline   Reply With Quote