Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Notices

Old 03-09-2017, 02:10 AM   #71
Phil Masters

Default Re: Discworld/Mars Attacks in PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulon View Post
A better means to encourage sales of the physical books would be to get them onto sites like Amazon. Right now, both are hard to find for a combination of reasonable cost and reasonable shipping cost.
Discworld is at least on Amazon US. It hasn't appeared on Amazon UK yet, except in the form of imports from the US or Germany. Nor is it in mainstream UK bookshops (who've quite happily stocked Discworld boardgames in the past).

It appears to me that the problem is at the distribution level. It doesn't matter how much SJ Games butter up the retailers, if the distributors are in an ongoing elbow-rectum discernment failure situation, that chain is broken. In which situation, taking the profits available from PDF sales (like, oh, pretty much every other second/third-tier RPG company still running) is only sensible. Leaving money on the table is bad business. If the shops don't like it, tell them to yell at the distributors.

Oh well, at least the current UK situation lets us point helpfully at the nice and competent people at Leisure Games and the Discworld Emporium, who've both actually got the book in stock, despite the best efforts of the distributors to bollix things up.
Discworld Roleplaying Game author, Transhuman Space Line Editor.
My Home Page.
Phil Masters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 03:16 AM   #72
scc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
It appears to me that the problem is at the distribution level. It doesn't matter how much SJ Games butter up the retailers, if the distributors are in an ongoing elbow-rectum discernment failure situation, that chain is broken. In which situation, taking the profits available from PDF sales (like, oh, pretty much every other second/third-tier RPG company still running) is only sensible. Leaving money on the table is bad business. If the shops don't like it, tell them to yell at the distributors.

Oh well, at least the current UK situation lets us point helpfully at the nice and competent people at Leisure Games and the Discworld Emporium, who've both actually got the book in stock, despite the best efforts of the distributors to bollix things up.
Is SJ Games likely to look into new distributors over this or not?
scc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 08:23 AM   #73
philreed
Chief Executive Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
What is the reason for not releasing these titles as PDF?
We are not ready to set PDF release dates for these titles at this time. As mentioned before, we're in the middle of collecting info on overall GURPS sales and have many pieces of the puzzle moving at different speeds.

As to distribution troubles: We are working on solutions, but please understand that the issue is larger than a book or two or, for that matter, a publisher or two. This is an industry-wide problem that many are working on and finding what solution is best for their business.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #74
Paulon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Masters View Post
Discworld is at least on Amazon US. It hasn't appeared on Amazon UK yet, except in the form of imports from the US or Germany. Nor is it in mainstream UK bookshops (who've quite happily stocked Discworld boardgames in the past).
Even on Amazon US, Discworld only appears to my searches to be available from third party sellers, neither of which ships to my country. Mars Attacks on Amazon US is only available from one of those third party vendors. My experience is that usually going through a third party on Amazon means much higher shipping, because a smaller business can't get better shipping rates. Buying a physical copy of either is not really relevant in my case as I supported SJGames with Warehouse23 pre-orders for both, but it should be easier to find a book for sale online from other vendors almost three months after release.

Quote:
Interestingly, the big name RPG company that tried dropping PDF sales is also the one which lost first place in the market for a fair while because they didn't listen to what their customer base wanted, which included PDF sales, among a whole bunch of other PR disasters. Not the best example to follow.

Quote:
It looks like both ship internationally, though shipping costs are still a big kick for outside Europe. As good or better options than I've seen elsewhere for non-US customers though.
Paulon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 05:32 PM   #75
Celjabba

I bought Discworld from a third-party reseller on amazon.fr. Expensive but still cheaper than paying shipping from W23.
I really want Mars Attack, but I have to hope and wait for PDF, I only bought a physical copy of Discworld because I expect to use it for demo games.
As much as I like nice paper books, if SJG ever switch back to paper only, they will lose a customer. (except from special case like Discworld or DF kickstarter ).

Last edited by Celjabba; 03-09-2017 at 05:35 PM.
Celjabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:05 PM   #76
lachimba

Kickstarter for shipping...

IDK there is that pallet for DFRPG going to Australia. That's August, I'm not sure if things will be better by then.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
discworld, mars attacks