Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 12-14-2016, 03:39 AM   #1
Owen Smith

Default Discworld/Mars Attacks in PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarson View Post
SJGames must hate my gaming budget because they killed it. The Everything level on DF, GURPS Discworld, and now the PDF sale.
The only things I want in the PDF sale are Mars Attacks and Discworld, to go with the hardbacks when they arrive. But those products aren't available in PDF and by the time they are the sale will have ended.

I remember SJGames used to release 4E PDFs months before the physical print run, allowing errors found by customers in the PDFs to be fixed in the physical printing.
Owen Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:34 AM   #2
Dragondog
Never Been Pretty

Default Re: Dungeon Fantasy Roleplaying Game Discussion Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post
The only things I want in the PDF sale are Mars Attacks and Discworld, to go with the hardbacks when they arrive. But those products aren't available in PDF and by the time they are the sale will have ended.

I remember SJGames used to release 4E PDFs months before the physical print run, allowing errors found by customers in the PDFs to be fixed in the physical printing.
Both of those are licenses, so that may be an issue too.
Dragondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #3
Owen Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragondog View Post
Both of those are licenses, so that may be an issue too.
Fair point, that hadn't occured to me.
Old 12-14-2016, 12:18 PM   #4
HunterS
Community Manager

Currently the focus for Discworld and Mars Attacks is keeping physical GURPS product on store shelves. We don't have PDF plans in the immediate future.

Even if they were available digitally, the same rule as the physical sale would apply; they wouldn't be part of the current sale, so you aren't really missing out on anything there.
HunterS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #5
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen Smith View Post

Makes more sense to discount after the people who were 100% going to buy have already bought.

Last edited by lachimba; 12-14-2016 at 04:48 PM.
lachimba is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 05:01 PM   #6
mehrkat

I'm definitely planning to buy both the physical product and the PDF when they become available. That way if the license goes away I still have both. I figure SJ wants to let the physical products sell for a least a little store time before putting the PDF out. These are big lead in products that they are hoping will make their way on store shelves a little time and priority needs to be given for them.
Old 12-14-2016, 05:17 PM   #7
lachimba

Quote:
Originally Posted by mehrkat View Post
I'm definitely planning to buy both the physical product and the PDF when they become available. That way if the license goes away I still have both. I figure SJ wants to let the physical products sell for a least a little store time before putting the PDF out. These are big lead in products that they are hoping will make their way on store shelves a little time and priority needs to be given for them.

Can you imagine ordering 20 to sell then finding out SJ Games is offering the PDF at 40% off? I'd question the commitment to physical GURPS that so many want.

DFRPG might be the same story.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:02 PM   #8
Owen Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterS View Post
Currently the focus for Discworld and Mars Attacks is keeping physical GURPS product on store shelves. We don't have PDF plans in the immediate future.
Shame. By default I buy both the PDF and the hardback. They serve different needs, the PDF is searchable abd easy to carry to sessions whereas the hardback is easy to read.
Old 12-14-2016, 07:09 PM   #9
Owen Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Can you imagine ordering 20 to sell then finding out SJ Games is offering the PDF at 40% off? I'd question the commitment to physical GURPS that so many want.
Previous statements by Kromm were that sales of the PDFs don't seem to affect sales of the hardbacks of the same book, or vice versa. He said at the time they didn't really understand it, but maybe a lot of people buy both.

I also think there's a group of people that will only buy PDF and another group that will only buy physical copy, so they don't steal sales from each other and selling both gets more total sales.

Yes it doesn't make much sense to sell big title new PDFs at 40% off. But I don't see that as losing sales of physical product, it just means less profit from the PDFs.
Old 12-14-2016, 08:39 PM   #10
lachimba

Previous comments aside. How would anyone, SJ Games or fans, know for 2017?

Many of the hardcovers have been out of print for some time. Most PDFs don't get a physical release. THE DRPG is new in almost every sense (edition, price point GURPS rules included throughout the text, was originally only getting a Hardcopy only release) except that it contains similar content to two other hardcopy only books.

Relying on previous very different cases seems pretty anecdotal.

If people are going to buy both, or PDF only does it really matter releasing it weeks later.

Releasing them both at the same time with a discount on one format would seem to be picking winners. If I ordered ten intending to sell them I'd be very upset when a potential customer said they got a PDF with a discount.

Last edited by lachimba; 12-14-2016 at 08:47 PM.

Tags
discworld, mars attacks