Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-27-2023, 11:40 AM   #1
Bathawk

Default Gun Question Part 4 (Or is it 5?) Spectre M4

Hey, hope I'm not getting too bothersome with these questions, but the next gun I'm hoping to get stats for is the M4 Spectre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_M4

It's just a very sleek and sexy weapon, with a succinct and cool name...but I could have sworn I saw "M-4" on a weapons table somewhere
Bathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 11:56 AM   #2
The Colonel

Default Re: Gun Question Part 4 (Or is it 5?) Spectre M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post
Hey, hope I'm not getting too bothersome with these questions, but the next gun I'm hoping to get stats for is the M4 Spectre

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spectre_M4

It's just a very sleek and sexy weapon, with a succinct and cool name...but I could have sworn I saw "M-4" on a weapons table somewhere
You probably saw stats for an M4 carbine, which is a AR-15 descendant (so a 5.56NATO rifle, not an SMG). I'll leave the stats to the experts.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 12:02 PM   #3
Pursuivant

This one's easy because one of the calibers available for the M4 is 9x19mm Parabellum. That means it will have the same Dam, 1/2D and Max as any other SMG of approximately the same barrel length. Other stats like Acc, Rcl, Rof and Bulk are likely to be very close to existing weapons.

Stats for the TL7 SMG from p. B278 look pretty close to the Spectre M4. Swiping most of the numbers and boosting Rcl by 1 to account for the slightly lighter weight and higher RoF, you get a minor TL8 upgrade from the TL7 generic model at the same cost. That seems reasonable.

Edit: Damage and range altered per Fred Bracklin's suggestion.

Dmg: 2d+2 pi
Acc: 4
Range: 160/1,800.
Wgt: 6.4 lbs./1.2
RoF: ~14 (Cyclic, might be considerably lower for sustained fire).
Shots: 30+1 (3)
ST: 9†(two hands)
Bulk: -4
Rcl: 3
Cost: $1200 (taken from TL7 generic price, but a quick check indicates that it's within $100 of market prices for a new weapon).
LC: 2.

If GURPS weapons design interests you, next time try coming up with stats for a particular weapon on your own, post them on the forum and let the GURPS gun geeks (constructively) critique your work. Little additions to the game are fun side projects for a GM.

Last edited by Pursuivant; 10-27-2023 at 06:23 PM.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 01:25 PM   #4
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
T
Stats for the TL7 SMG from p. B278 look pretty close to the Spectre M4.
Dmg: 3d-1

Eh, the OP's link said the Spectre M-4 has a barrel with a length only a little over 5 inches. If you start matching the full-size SMG against the SMG table in High Tech it looks like the "generic" TL7 SMG is something from the MP5 family and a quick google gives that a barrel length of almost 9 inches.

So the Spectre probably misses the bump to 3D-1 P and with its' pistol length barrel does the 2D+2 P of the 9mm pistol. Hunt through the MP's full page textbox in HT and you'll find something that matches the weight and barrel length.

Firing from a closed bolt does make for some similarity to the MP5.
Old 10-27-2023, 02:00 PM   #5
Bathawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
Eh, the OP's link said the Spectre M-4 has a barrel with a length only a little over 5 inches. If you start matching the full-size SMG against the SMG table in High Tech it looks like the "generic" TL7 SMG is something from the MP5 family and a quick google gives that a barrel length of almost 9 inches.

So the Spectre probably misses the bump to 3D-1 P and with its' pistol length barrel does the 2D+2 P of the 9mm pistol. Hunt through the MP's full page textbox in HT and you'll find something that matches the weight and barrel length.

Firing from a closed bolt does make for some similarity to the MP5.
"MP's Full page Textbox..."

can I have the page number? I'm not too good at maneuvering through my PDF copy
Bathawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 02:02 PM   #6
Fred Brackin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bathawk View Post
"MP's Full page Textbox..."

can I have the page number? I'm not too good at maneuvering through my PDF copy
It's on p[.123.
Old 10-27-2023, 06:22 PM   #7
Pursuivant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
So the Spectre probably misses the bump to 3D-1 P and with its' pistol length barrel does the 2D+2 P of the 9mm pistol.
Shorter barrel length will also affect range stats. Agreed that the numbers are extremely close to the MP5 entries on the table of GURPS High Tech, p. 124. I'd use range and damage numbers for the MP5K Dam: 2d+2 pi, Range: 160/1,800. Original post edited to reflect the changes.
Pursuivant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2023, 11:44 PM   #8
Rupert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursuivant View Post
This one's easy because one of the calibers available for the M4 is 9x19mm Parabellum. That means it will have the same Dam, 1/2D and Max as any other SMG of approximately the same barrel length. Other stats like Acc, Rcl, Rof and Bulk are likely to be very close to existing weapons.

Stats for the TL7 SMG from p. B278 look pretty close to the Spectre M4. Swiping most of the numbers and boosting Rcl by 1 to account for the slightly lighter weight and higher RoF, you get a minor TL8 upgrade from the TL7 generic model at the same cost. That seems reasonable.

Edit: Damage and range altered per Fred Bracklin's suggestion.

Dmg: 2d+2 pi
Acc: 4
Range: 160/1,800.
Wgt: 6.4 lbs./1.2
RoF: ~14 (Cyclic, might be considerably lower for sustained fire).
Shots: 30+1 (3)
ST: 9†(two hands)
Bulk: -4
Rcl: 3
Cost: $1200 (taken from TL7 generic price, but a quick check indicates that it's within $100 of market prices for a new weapon).
LC: 2.

If GURPS weapons design interests you, next time try coming up with stats for a particular weapon on your own, post them on the forum and let the GURPS gun geeks (constructively) critique your work. Little additions to the game are fun side projects for a GM.

Rcl will be Rcl 2, just like all the other SMGs in High-Tech. The Spectre is heavier than the H&K UMP (which is in .45ACP) and Steyr TMP (in 9.19mm), and both have Rcl 2. There's no reason to up the Spectre's.

"A pessimist is an optimist with a sense of history."
Rupert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 10:33 AM   #9
Donny Brook

I too don't see why this gun would have Rcl 3 while all the other SMGs on the High-Tech list have Rcl 2.

If Rcl 3 is correct, it is a rotten weapon.
Donny Brook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 11:03 AM   #10
HANS

The statline for this weapon looks like this:

7 SITES Spectre M4, 9×19mm 2d+2 pi 4 160/1,800 8.4/2 14 50(3) 9† -4* 2 $1,250 2

It malfunctions on 16+ unless used with +P ammunition (High-Tech, p. 165).

Cheers

HANS

Tags
gun stats