Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 10-20-2016, 02:55 PM   #1
kdtipa

Default Catching and Pulling Someone to Safety

Here's another one where I couldn't find specific rules to address a situation a player is asking about. It's the same player who wants to do flying slam attacks...

damage from collisions in armor

He brought up a scenario from earlier in the campaign where his character used a jet suit to propel themselves at a friend to catch them up and bring them further from the center of an explosive. It was an effort to save them. At the time I hadn't equated that effort with a slam attack. I just went with the idea of being able to grab and hang on to the person to help them. It was cinematic, and it worked fine, but now my player is saying this kind of thing might happen more often.

I tried searching the forums and found a couple about catching a person who is falling from above you...
Catching someone math
catching a falling character

Neither of those seems to be what I'm looking for.

I can imagine this a couple ways. If you tackle the person to pick them up while you're flying, you're kind of aiming for center mass with a shoulder, and this seems like a slam, and the distance you get them might be based on the knockback amount from the damage. That one makes sense as a simple way to handle it.

But I can imagine another scenario where you're trying to fly past them, and catch them with your hands to carry them, and avoid doing outright damage (though jerking someone from stationary to fast moving might cause damage). I started looking at the rules for grappling, and the roll to grab on to the person is there, but (not surprisingly) it doesn't address the situation where you're trying to pick them up and hold onto them to drag them with you.

I suppose that second scenario might be similar to Person A falling from a balcony a few floor up from Person B who wants to reach out and catch the person falling past, and save them from the fall that way. Both scenarios involve a grab while one of the people involved is moving, and then a moment of trying to hang on while the movement is either stopped or started.

Yeah my players come up with wonderful ones. I'm going to make a ruling, but I wanted to see if anyone had particular advice or perhaps there IS a rule I missed somewhere. I'd love to hear some thoughts on this.
kdtipa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 03:22 PM   #2
Flyndaran
Untagged

Default Re: Catching and Pulling Someone to Safety

Realistically I doubt you should be able to just pick up someone and continue onward without trouble unless they're trivially light.

At best, it sounds like a move and attack-grapple with a hefty strength requirement.
I know there's a rule where if you, the grappler, weigh less than their heavy encumbrance, they can keep moving with you hanging on. This is almost the reverse.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:07 PM   #3
(E)

If the person being lifted is prone then there are issues with changing stance to pick them up.
(E) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 04:10 PM   #4
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
If the person being lifted is prone then there are issues with changing stance to pick them up.
People are horribly floppy and unless cooperating, and sometimes even then, take much more effort than carrying inanimate objects of equal weight.
But picking up anything from flat on the ground is not so easy... lift with your legs.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:37 PM   #5
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
People are horribly floppy and unless cooperating, and sometimes even then, take much more effort than carrying inanimate objects of equal weight.
But picking up anything from flat on the ground is not so easy... lift with your legs.
The closest I have ever done is pull my step son out of the way of a rolling vehical, he was about 12 and I managed a one handed grab and lift. I didn't have to move my feet though.
Old 10-20-2016, 04:58 PM   #6
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Originally Posted by (E) View Post
The closest I have ever done is pull my step son out of the way of a rolling vehical, he was about 12 and I managed a one handed grab and lift. I didn't have to move my feet though.
Pulling for a split second isn't quite the Ironman running grabbing, and carrying an adult without any appreciable slowing down I assume OP asked about. But I get your point, I think.
Old 10-20-2016, 05:17 PM   #7
(E)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
Pulling for a split second isn't quite the Ironman running grabbing, and carrying an adult without any appreciable slowing down I assume OP asked about. But I get your point, I think.
The Gurps mechanics that suit may be close to the rules required for throwing someone?

The other case the OP mentioned was catching a falling person, Dex check then one handed lift maybe?
Old 10-20-2016, 06:13 PM   #8
Culture20

And if they're concerned that cinematic comic books featuring super heroes don't feature realistic physics with deadly results when saving someone from certain death, remind them of Spider-Man and Gwen Stacey. Sometimes the rule of cool gets suspended for a greater rule of cool.
Culture20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2016, 06:52 AM   #9
kdtipa

Sorry to revive this... I haven't been able to log in for a little while.

Interesting thought about basic lift. The definition in the book is the amount of weight you can lift from the ground to over your head in one second with one hand right? So I suppose if the character is strong enough for the person they're trying to pick up to be under their basic lift, it might be feasible at least. And maybe a two handed grab gives them twice basic lift?

I'll have to figure out how it'll affect the speed of the flier. The added weight on the flying machine will have an impact too.

<sigh />

Well thank you everyone that responded. It's helpful. :)
Old 10-27-2016, 09:42 AM   #10
kdtipa

Here's the house rule I put together for this crazy stunt...

www.highdex.net/GURPS/GURPSCinematicHighSpeedGrabs.pdf

It's a PDF I made with Microsoft Word (then just saved as PDF). If it's helpful to you that's great. If you have comments on it, I'd be happy to hear them.

Tags
catch, grab, grapple, pull, snag