Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2016, 02:42 AM   #41
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Re: Least genre most low powered GURPS game that you have run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post

As such, if an 'ordinary' person has courage, discipline and willpower, in GURPS terms, that translates into effective skill 12+ and even 14+ with a lot of skills given minimal familiarity. So the proper way to represent an ordinary person who rises to an extraprdinary situation is with a lot of points. GURPS points measure ability to succeed in adventuring situations, not inborn gifts or exotic training. So if someone is consistently successful, he's a high-point character, even if the concept is 'normal person who succeds through grit, luck, moral qualities or author-on-board'.
Or they buy their successes.

Destiny, wildcard skills, or points for buying successes.

That would just be possible on 25 to 50 point characters depending on how often you roll.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:36 AM   #42
Icelander
 
Icelander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Iceland*
Default Re: Least genre most low powered GURPS game that you have run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
Or they buy their successes.

Destiny, wildcard skills, or points for buying successes.

That would just be possible on 25 to 50 point characters depending on how often you roll.
If we're modelling the characters in a way that requires several points per session for buying successes, we should include those points for the purposes of calculating the point value of the characters.

Walter White clearly wasn't spending his earned character points on successes, because he kept growing in power during his adventures. So if we are to assume that every session, he bought a few successes with points, that means that he had a store of several hundred points at the start of play for that purpose.

Destiny and Wildcard skills are very fitting for many fictional protagonists, but they are usually not cheap enough for a truly low point character to make use of them. For a 25-point character, a mere 10 point Destinty or a few points in a Wildcard skill (which is then no higher than 7), without having any adventurer skills at more than 4-6, his defaults from normal people attributes, is not going to be enough if he's going to survive a standard season of popular television.
__________________
Za uspiekh nashevo beznadiozhnovo diela!
Icelander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 06:45 PM   #43
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Re: Least genre most low powered GURPS game that you have run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelander View Post
If we're modelling the characters in a way that requires several points per session for buying successes, we should include those points for the purposes of calculating the point value of the characters.

Walter White clearly wasn't spending his earned character points on successes, because he kept growing in power during his adventures. So if we are to assume that every session, he bought a few successes with points, that means that he had a store of several hundred points at the start of play for that purpose.

Destiny and Wildcard skills are very fitting for many fictional protagonists, but they are usually not cheap enough for a truly low point character to make use of them. For a 25-point character, a mere 10 point Destinty or a few points in a Wildcard skill (which is then no higher than 7), without having any adventurer skills at more than 4-6, his defaults from normal people attributes, is not going to be enough if he's going to survive a standard season of popular television.

Depends what you're going for. If you're going for something like drama system perhaps you want to use GURPS to resolve procedural scenes. Maybe you earn your wild card points from the drama scenes. Or maybe you start with a bank and try not to waste them instead relying on the dramatic scenes with other PCs. Maybe you make GURPS more like Gumshoe with a point pool.
Maybe you go pointless with 250 point characters in the same series as 75 point ones. Maybe that doesn't matter because the dramatic characters get to use a wildcard point pool.

There's a lot of ways to come at a problem.




I think WW probably started at sub 75 and went up fast. But IIRC he probably doesn't make too many critical skill checks in series one.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 02:00 AM   #44
mr beer
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Default Re: Least genre most low powered GURPS game that you have run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lachimba View Post
I think WW probably started at sub 75 and went up fast. But IIRC he probably doesn't make too many critical skill checks in series one.
Say IQ 12 + Chemistry Talent +4? That's 50 points. I think he has Luck as well.

Then he has Terminally Ill with Mitigator, Greed and Callous. ST, HT, DX are presumably all 10.

Last edited by mr beer; 10-18-2016 at 02:05 AM.
mr beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 04:23 PM   #45
lachimba
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Sydney
Default Re: Least genre most low powered GURPS game that you have run?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr beer View Post
Say IQ 12 + Chemistry Talent +4? That's 50 points. I think he has Luck as well.

Then he has Terminally Ill with Mitigator, Greed and Callous. ST, HT, DX are presumably all 10.
Not a stat WW thread, but I'm never a fan of terminally ill.

I think actually if BB is a GURPS game it started as a short campaign and the GM and players kept expanding and upping the power level.
lachimba is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
25 points, gurps, low powered, ordinary

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:54 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.