Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 11-10-2017, 04:10 PM   #621
PTTG

Default Re: Catalog of the Weird Parallels

Quote:
Originally Posted by sir_pudding View Post
Yes, soft serve ice cream is a terrible weapon of war, an aphrodisiac, and a viscous tool of totalitarianism.
I mean these are all literally true. It can also be said to produce a chilling effect when introduced to political discourse.
PTTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:17 PM   #622
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
Yes, soft serve ice cream is a terrible weapon of war, an aphrodisiac, and a viscous tool of totalitarianism.
One could see its commonality as a minor offshoot of refrigeration and air blowing technology. Those probably have some uses in war, and cultural control, but I'd rather not imagine their use for sex.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:23 PM   #623
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
One could see its commonality as a minor offshoot of refrigeration and air blowing technology. Those probably have some uses in war, and cultural control, but I'd rather not imagine their use for sex.
Sure, but if you extend any technology out to the extent that it intersects one of those spheres, of course it supports this thesis. That's a bit of goalpost moving I think. Eventually all technology is a subset of the core human technologies of symbolic language, culture, and tool use, and that includes those with obvious reproductive, military, or organizational applications but it also includes lots of things that I think it's a stretch to include.
sir_pudding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #624
Flyndaran
Untagged

I responded to your silly post with a silly post of my own.
I doubt anyone could read my post as saying that all inventions, bar none, are used for sex, warfare, or social control.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:50 PM   #625
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyndaran View Post
I responded to your silly post with a silly post of my own.
I doubt anyone could read my post as saying that all inventions, bar none, are used for sex, warfare, or social control.
AlexanderHowl's statement was more definitive than yours.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:05 PM   #626
AlexanderHowl

Since I have used soft serve to seal the deal on a number of dates, it can be used for sex.
AlexanderHowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 07:14 PM   #627
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
Since I have used soft serve to seal the deal on a number of dates, it can be used for sex.
You could also barter soft serve to have somebody killed, and a tyrant could pay the secret police in ice cream. Or you could just eat it. Exchanging X for Y doesn't make X the same as Y. In my experience soft serve is too low value to be of interest to most prostitutes, (and presumably hit men and secret policemen) though.
Old 11-10-2017, 08:19 PM   #628
AlexanderHowl

I do find it insulting that someone would equate ice cream at an end of a date with prostitution.
AlexanderHowl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:39 PM   #629
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexanderHowl View Post
I do find it insulting that someone would equate ice cream at an end of a date with prostitution.
Your partners have agency and either the ice cream was transactive or just a detail. If the latter it doesn't support your thesis. Presumably you were wearing shoes, sat in chairs, had vaccines, somewhere an airplane was nearby, and none of these things meant that you were any more or less into each other.
Old 11-10-2017, 11:03 PM   #630
Flyndaran
Untagged

Quote:
AlexanderHowl's statement was more definitive than yours.
Technology is used for X doesn't necessarily mean that all forms must be used for X. He took my point further, but you seemed to take it to its most superlative.
I assumed facetiousness rather than sarcasm. My mistake. Those can be hard to distinguish in person, for me, let alone in text.

Tags
infinite worlds, weird worlds