Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2016, 09:56 AM   #11
LoneWolf23k
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Default Re: Options for GURPS Banestorm - 11 years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
Another question: What existing magical styles are especially suitable for the setting?

Considering how magic is usually taught in the setting, there is a good argument to be made that learning more about magic requires joining particular magical schools or guilds.
This brings up another idea that needs to be adapted to Banestorm... Magical Styles. I'd love to see Magical Styles particular to Yrth. Styles for Dwarven artificers, Templar secret societies, Goblin tricksters, Elven High Enchanters, etc.
LoneWolf23k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:12 AM   #12
Stormcrow
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ronkonkoma, NY
Default Re: Options for GURPS Banestorm - 11 years later

I wouldn't care to update it with any of the supplements that have come out. I'd just like to see the timeline updated.
Stormcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 11:41 AM   #13
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: Options for GURPS Banestorm - 11 years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by acrosome View Post
Martial Arts, obviously. The Boardroom and Curia and City Stats supplements, likewise. Underground Adventures. Powers and most of the Power Ups. Social Engineering.

MA is the big 'un, though.
Of course, Yrth has its' own pdf of Martial Arts and a Pyramid article too. You could argue that Martial arts ahs already been added.

For the person asking about Magical styles the above includes some mixed Martial/Magical Styles reflecting Megalan Legion Training, Elven stuff and Michaelite law enforcement.
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:09 PM   #14
benz72
 
benz72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: North Park, San Diego
Default Re: Options for GURPS Banestorm - 11 years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by simply Nathan View Post
I personally don't think it fits the setting well at all, at least not unless it's a really rare trait. It's a world where wizardly magic exists, but there's nothing provable about religion other than demons and Hell being confirmed real so that there's still room for religious conflict between say Catholics and Protestants, Christians and Muslims, Sunni and Shiite, and so on without having to say one side in a given conflict is right and the other is wrong. Because God doesn't grant any of their priests superpowers, nor do any of the pagan gods worshipped in Sahud or the barbarian lands.
I can see you point, but consider this idea:
Divine Favor is not the actual bestowed output of a single conscious being, but rather the ability to tap into the stored psychic energy of accumulated hopes and beliefs (prayers) of beings who would endorse your actions/worldview/'psychic fingerprint'.
Sanctity is man made (or dwarf made or whatever) and bends to the expectations of those faithful who invest their energy into their faith.
There is not 'right religion' in the sense that 'Yahweh cold kick Shaitan's' butt or that 'Mohammed is a better prophet than Jesus'. A group of satanists would gain little power in a church chock full o' catholic sanctity, and a jesuit would be powerless in the wilderness where the residual energies of the beasts and birds allow druids to draw heavily on that local sanctity.

The fact that minds believe in a particular thing is important, the truth of that particular thing is much less important.

Anyway, just a thought.
__________________
Benundefined
Life has a funny way of making sure you decide to leave the party just a few minutes too late to avoid trouble.
benz72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:14 PM   #15
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Options for GURPS Banestorm - 11 years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jürgen Hubert View Post
Another question: What existing magical styles are especially suitable for the setting?

Considering how magic is usually taught in the setting, there is a good argument to be made that learning more about magic requires joining particular magical schools or guilds.
I would require every mage to take a magic style. Which of course would require me to provide at least two dozen styles so they have some choices.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #16
David Johnston2
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Default Re: Options for GURPS Banestorm - 11 years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by benz72 View Post
I can see you point, but consider this idea:
Divine Favor is not the actual bestowed output of a single conscious being, but rather the ability to tap into the stored psychic energy of accumulated hopes and beliefs (prayers) of beings who would endorse your actions/worldview/'psychic fingerprint'.
Sanctity is man made (or dwarf made or whatever) and bends to the expectations of those faithful who invest their energy into their faith.
There is not 'right religion' in the sense that 'Yahweh cold kick Shaitan's' butt or that 'Mohammed is a better prophet than Jesus'. A group of satanists would gain little power in a church chock full o' catholic sanctity, and a jesuit would be powerless in the wilderness where the residual energies of the beasts and birds allow druids to draw heavily on that local sanctity.

The fact that minds believe in a particular thing is important, the truth of that particular thing is much less important.

Anyway, just a thought.
The problem is that once again that would establish pretty much unequivocally that the monotheists are wrong.
David Johnston2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:19 PM   #17
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Options for GURPS Banestorm - 11 years later

Clerics being divinely empowered isn't part of the setting, the potential of agnostic explanations for such powers doesn't change this fundamental setting feature.
sir_pudding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:34 PM   #18
ericthered
Hero of Democracy
 
ericthered's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: far from the ocean
Default Re: Options for GURPS Banestorm - 11 years later

Clerics being divinely empowered is part of the setting. These men though are rare, and frequently outside of the church heirarchy, and while they are all deeply religious, the exact religion doesn't seem to matter.

This has weird implications, none of which is "No one here is divinely empowered". And even if the empowering mechanism isn't 'divine' , it acts close enough that divine favor is appropriate.
__________________
Worlds Beyond Earth -- my blog
ericthered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:38 PM   #19
sir_pudding
Wielder of Smart Pants
 
sir_pudding's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Ventura CA
Default Re: Options for GURPS Banestorm - 11 years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericthered View Post
Clerics being divinely empowered is part of the setting. These men though are rare, and frequently outside of the church heirarchy, and while they are all deeply religious, the exact religion doesn't seem to matter.

This has weird implications, none of which is "No one here is divinely empowered". And even if the empowering mechanism isn't 'divine' , it acts close enough that divine favor is appropriate.
Mystics have very specific "internal" powers, they aren't spellcasters (unless they are also Mages), they also aren't necessarily clerics.
sir_pudding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 01:42 PM   #20
Anders
Banned
 
Anders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Gothenburg, Sweden
Default Re: Options for GURPS Banestorm - 11 years later

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Johnston2 View Post
The problem is that once again that would establish pretty much unequivocally that the monotheists are wrong.
I think you gravely underestimate peoples' ability to rationalize things. Of course these mystics' "spells" come from the Devil.
Anders is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
banestorm, gurps banestorm

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.