Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Board and Card Games > Car Wars

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-23-2017, 04:04 AM   #211
schoon
 
schoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Oakland, CA, USA
Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm thankful that we've had Car Wars for so many years AND that we're getting a new edition.

...and that we've got a great community here.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 07:12 AM   #212
philreed
Chief Executive Officer
 
philreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
An ETA of any sort. Even if it's a goal of a particular convention in 2018/2019.
We're not yet ready offering up a release date. At the moment, I am personally leaning toward a situation where the game doesn't release until one year or so after a successful Kickstarter project. We have a lot of big bits of Car Wars planned, and it would be better to take the time to do it right than to rush.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 02:21 PM   #213
owenmp
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Bellevue, WA, USA
Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

I agree Car Wars Sixth Edition should not be rushed, however I hope it will be published in time for 2021, the year when Car Wars celebrates its 40th anniversary.

The Kickstarter should offer a replica Pocket Box that holds a USB drive inside. The USB drive would contain Car Wars materials.
__________________
Michael P. Owen
Seattle Washington Autoduel Team
http://www.seanet.com/~owenmp/swathome.html
http://owenmp.wordpress.com
owenmp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 01:49 AM   #214
JimTullis
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

Quote:
Originally Posted by owenmp View Post
I agree Car Wars Sixth Edition should not be rushed, however I hope it will be published in time for 2021, the year when Car Wars celebrates its 40th anniversary.
Well, at 9 years after the original announcement (2012) of a new edition [nearly a quarter of the game's lifespan] it ought to be polished to a fine luster. ;)

Last edited by JimTullis; 11-24-2017 at 02:00 AM.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 09:19 AM   #215
philreed
Chief Executive Officer
 
philreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
Well, at 9 years after the original announcement (2012) of a new edition [nearly a quarter of the game's lifespan] it ought to be polished to a fine luster. ;)
We aren't afraid to wait 27 years if that is what it takes (see Triplanetary for proof).
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2017, 02:21 PM   #216
JimTullis
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
We aren't afraid to wait 27 years if that is what it takes (see Triplanetary for proof).
I don't recall Triplanetary as being one of the S J Games Flagship Games.
I don't even recall seeing it in stores. I remember Ogre and GEV and Car Wars. Car Wars is what called me to the game store weekly during the 80's.

I'm sure GDW had lots of great games like Traveller, But I wasn't nearly as interested in them as I was in SJ Games. So I'm not nearly as interested in seeing GDW games getting reprints now as I am in SJ Games.

I wish you all the best of luck with Triplanetary. BUT I'll be saving my Money for Car Wars.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 08:46 AM   #217
syncrogt1
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
BUT I'll be saving my Money for Car Wars.
At this rate, we won't need to save any money because CW won't be coming out in our lifetimes. SJG sees fit to let Haring go, and kickstart everything else. I have significant nostalgia for the game that led me to become a Mech Eng but I am quickly losing hope that it is even the smallest priority for the company.
syncrogt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 09:13 AM   #218
philreed
Chief Executive Officer
 
philreed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

We understand that many of you are anxious to see the game. We would love to say "We are ready!" That would be an inaccurate statement at this time.

We will make an announcement when the game is ready for Kickstarter.
philreed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 12:49 AM   #219
schoon
 
schoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Oakland, CA, USA
Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

Deep breaths.

We've known since July that competing priorities were going to back burner Car Wars till 2018.

In the greater scheme of things, this is not that long a wait.
schoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 06:54 PM   #220
JimTullis
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Default Re: Cars Wars 6E - What We Know - 1st Post will be updated over time

Quote:
Originally Posted by schoon View Post
We've known since July that competing priorities were going to back burner Car Wars till 2018.

In the greater scheme of things, this is not that long a wait.
He may not have intended it to, but the following post from Phil Reed makes it seem like we won't see anything in 2018 either...

Quote:
Originally Posted by philreed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimTullis View Post
An ETA of any sort. Even if it's a goal of a particular convention in 2018/2019.
We're not yet ready offering up a release date. At the moment, I am personally leaning toward a situation where the game doesn't release until one year or so after a successful Kickstarter project. We have a lot of big bits of Car Wars planned, and it would be better to take the time to do it right than to rush.
Or at most we might see the Kickstarter (maybe for the book) but no general release.
JimTullis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.