Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2016, 03:02 PM   #21
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: [4e] Magic - FP cost enchanting and storing FP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose View Post
Ok, what options are there?

I see:
Cone of power.
Sacrifices.
Paut.

There was also mentioned some magic items:
The mana web and Enchanters bench but I cant really find them.
.
"Mana Web" and "Enchanter's Bench" are hypothetical items that someone might invent. Not official at all.

I don't even think you can use Cone of Power for enchanting either. After you raise all the energy in the Cone and drop out so you can use it to cast some spell you've only got 1 Turn. If you tried starting the enchanting ritual while you were already participating in the Cone Of Power ritual you'd have to be participating in 2 rituals at once. I can't quote Canon forbidding that but it sounds unlikely to be legit.

You left out Raw Magic. That's worth 100 energy for Enchanting per pt of Raw Magic and it only cost 5 pts to be able to store that Raw Magic indefinitely until you want to use it.

Also a ST 10 mage can get 60 energy out of Paut. That's a big one.

You can also look around fro low cost Items. +1 DR for the whole body is only 50pts and for just the Torso armor it's 25. +1 Defense bonus is 100 and so is Lighten 25% for Armor.

There are others. a 1lb Preserve food box is 20. A weightless 1 lb Hideaway is only 100. You can do a lot of clever things with a 1 lb hideaway like hide 3 doses of a potion in a "poison ring".

You have to aim lower than you might think at first but even that piecemeal armor Enchanting could make you the rest of the groups' best friend.
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 06:57 PM   #22
Zoomfarg
 
Join Date: May 2012
Default Re: [4e] Magic - FP cost enchanting and storing FP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
"Mana Web" and "Enchanter's Bench" are hypothetical items that someone might invent. Not official at all.

I don't even think you can use Cone of Power for enchanting either. After you raise all the energy in the Cone and drop out so you can use it to cast some spell you've only got 1 Turn. If you tried starting the enchanting ritual while you were already participating in the Cone Of Power ritual you'd have to be participating in 2 rituals at once. I can't quote Canon forbidding that but it sounds unlikely to be legit.
RAW, at least according to Thaumatology p. 52, doesn't forbid Raise Cone of Power from Q&D, but it does require 2+ people. Basically, you need a mage to maintain the ceremony while another mage draws on the cone to cast a spell. You can find character builds that exploit the cone for Q&D, able to gather around (or more than?) 2000 pts of energy.
Zoomfarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:50 PM   #23
Fred Brackin
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Default Re: [4e] Magic - FP cost enchanting and storing FP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomfarg View Post
RAW, at least according to Thaumatology p. 52, doesn't forbid Raise Cone of Power from Q&D, but it does require 2+ people. Basically, you need a mage to maintain the ceremony while another mage draws on the cone to cast a spell. You can find character builds that exploit the cone for Q&D, able to gather around (or more than?) 2000 pts of energy.
You've only got _one_ second to exploit the energy from the Cone. Q&D takes an hour minimum.
__________________
Fred Brackin
Fred Brackin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:12 PM   #24
Zoomfarg
 
Join Date: May 2012
Default Re: [4e] Magic - FP cost enchanting and storing FP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Brackin View Post
You've only got _one_ second to exploit the energy from the Cone. Q&D takes an hour minimum.
Anyone in the Cone of Power ceremony can "drop out ... and take a Concentrate maneuver and make an IQ roll to draw on the Cone to power another spell, which must be cast starting on the next turn" (as long as one person who knows the spell remains in the ceremony). (Thaumatology, p. 52).

Do we have different interpretations of what "must be cast starting on the next turn" means? "Cast"--being the past participle of "to cast"--might mean that the casting of the spell must be complete on the next turn, i.e. casting time of one second, then no Planar Summons.

But then why specify "starting" on the next turn? Because of "starting", I understand the phrase to mean that casting must begin on the next turn. Additionally, don't many spells that require a lot of power also require a long casting time? I'm not that familiar with the spell list in Magic, but I can't imagine that Raise Cone of Power would be very useful if it was limited to spells with a casting time of one second.

Clearer wording might be 1) "the spell must be cast on the next turn", or better, "casting must be completed on the next turn", or 2) "casting must begin on the next turn".

Has there been official clarification that I'm not aware of?

Last edited by Zoomfarg; 07-28-2016 at 09:49 AM.
Zoomfarg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
magic

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Fnords are Off
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.