Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 07-17-2016, 07:00 PM   #1
Tinman

Default [sorcery] Recover Energy

How would I make a Recover Energy spell?
I know I can do it with regen FP only but that is kind of expensive?
Tinman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 07:19 PM   #2
Celti

Default Re: [sorcery] Recover Energy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman View Post
Recovering FP is and should be expensive, period. Basic Magic makes it not-so-expensive because it relies heavily on absurd fatigue costs — Sorcery only costs 1 FP per spell (and not even that for many castings with an optional rule) but for very rare exceptions. Thus, a “traditional” Recover Energy spell doesn't exist for the same reason that Powerstones don't exist in Sorcery.

That being said, an FP regen spell, even expensive, can be useful — I've posted my own take on one elsewhere on these forums.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 11:51 PM   #3
Christopher R. Rice

Quote:
So, in the past I've decided that Fit (or Very Fit) can be used to fuel FP lost to something other than physical exertion. This is effectively a +0% effect and provides only the benefit of regaining FP - nothing else. Since Very Fit differs from Fit a bit I ruled that it halves your recovery rate again (e.g., you regain FP at one point per 2 minutes). Since then I've decided this is a bit better than normal and made this a +100% enhancement version of Cosmic if it covers FP lost this way or +200% if it covers both - which is what I'd suggest you'd use.

So Fit (Cosmic, Works for magic expenditure, +100%; Reduced Fatigue Cost, 1 FP, +20%; Sorcery, -15%) [11] if you regenerate it at a rate of 1 FP per 5 minutes or Very Fit (Cosmic, Works for magic expenditure, +100%; Reduced Fatigue Cost, 1 FP, +20%; Sorcery, -15%) [31] if you regenerate it at a rate of 1 FP per 2 minutes. Higher levels would just be Regeneration with FP only and "Only FP lost to magic, -10%".

Latest GURPS Book: Dungeon Fantasy Denizens: Thieves
Latest TFT Book: The Sunken Library

Become a Patron!
Christopher R. Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 12:44 AM   #4
Mailanka

Quote:
Regenerate (Fast; Fatigue only -0%, Requires Concentrate -15%, Requires IQ (Meditation?) Roll -10%, Requires obvious magical gestures or ritual chant -5%, Magical -10%) [30]. Requires Sorcerous Empowerment level 2, and costs 6 points.

You regenerate 1 fatigue per minute provided you are concentrating, nobody casts counter-spell on you, you're in an area with appropriate mana, you succeed at an IQ roll and you're obviously casting magic (chanting, using hand-mudras, sitting in a lotus position, whatever) for the duration of the spell. And, of course, you can't cast anything else while you're doing it.
Old 07-18-2016, 10:17 AM   #5
PK

Quote:
Expensive? I wouldn't say that. The most straightforward build is "Regeneration (Fast; Accessibility, Only FP lost to sorcery, -20%; Fatigue Only, +0%; Magical, -10%) [35]," which isn't really that expensive by sorcery standards. You'd only need Sorcery 3 to take it and would pay a mere 7 points for it. It would be an indefinite-duration spell that worked in reverse; you'd regain 1 FP/minute rather than paying 1 FP/minute.

In fact, it might be a little too good -- specifically, because if you can cast two simultaneous spells, you could cast this and another indefinite-duration spell, and pay 0 FP for maintenance. If I have the opportunity to create another sorcery book for the Healing college, I wonder if the official version of this should be limited further. I'm still on the fence.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:24 AM   #6
Celti

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
In fact, it might be a little too good -- specifically, because if you can cast two simultaneous spells, you could cast this and another indefinite-duration spell, and pay 0 FP for maintenance. If I have the opportunity to create another sorcery book for the Healing college, I wonder if the official version of this should be limited further. I'm still on the fence.
That exact problem is why I put Maximum Duration on my “Mana Fountain” spell. Sure, you can recover fatigue — but only for X time, and you can't use that slot at all after it ends, until the cooldown expires.
Celti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:49 AM   #7
Kalzazz

Depending on your HT, breath control can be an option
Kalzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 02:12 PM   #8
Tinman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PK View Post
Expensive? I wouldn't say that. The most straightforward build is "Regeneration (Fast; Accessibility, Only FP lost to sorcery, -20%; Fatigue Only, +0%; Magical, -10%) [35]," which isn't really that expensive by sorcery standards. You'd only need Sorcery 3 to take it and would pay a mere 7 points for it. It would be an indefinite-duration spell that worked in reverse; you'd regain 1 FP/minute rather than paying 1 FP/minute.

Wait! How is this an "indefinite duration" spell? I thought as soon as you cast another spell the effects of the first one would end.
Tinman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:44 PM   #9
Refplace

Quote:
Wait! How is this an "indefinite duration" spell? I thought as soon as you cast another spell the effects of the first one would end.
Thats the indefinate part.
You just keep the spell going to regain energy.
When you need to do something else you witch to another spell.
The spell could require constant casting (more limited) or just be ongoing once started, hence indefinate.
My List of GURPS You Tube videos (plus a few other useful items)
My GURPS Wiki entries
Refplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 08:59 PM   #10
starslayer

Quote:
Note the 'if you can cast two simultaneous spells' part.

This can be achieved by having:

Sorcerous empowerment slot 1 (35)
Sorcerous empowerment slot 2 (35)

Now you can take any sorcery spells worth 35 or less, and have two of them active at a time, or you can go all out and have 70 points of sorcerous empowerment at once for ad-hoc or overcast spells (and depending on GM can also take sorcery spells worth 70 points or less and only be able to have one active at a time)

Thus you could have say:
Firey aura (6d burning attack, aura 1 fp/min) [25->5]
Regenerate fatigue [35->7]

active at the same time, and never need to turn off your firey aura.
starslayer is offline   Reply With Quote