Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Roleplaying > GURPS

Old 03-22-2006, 08:47 AM   #1
Hobbes

Default Cosmetic Question

I have a couple of questions about the Cosmetic limitation for Alternate Form (though it is also applicable to Morph). The exact wording of the limitation is: “You can assume a second distinct appearance with no change in abilities or racial template.”

This initially seems pretty clear, but it runs into some problems when pushed on specific cases. Let’s say I make a human with an alternate form of a satyr. He obviously does not gain the benefits of his horns {Crushing Striker (Cannot Parry -40%, Limited Arc-Straight Ahead -40%) [1]}, hooves {Claws (Hooves) [3]}, or Fur [1] on his lower half. The question gets muddier when you reverse the situation. What happens when you have a satyr who has an alternate form of a human?
  1. Abilities are unchanged, so our satyr can use his horns in his human form, but what happens when he tries to wear a hat? Are the horns there or not? Are they present but not visible, or are can they be used despite not being physically present?
  2. The satyr in human form gets bonuses to kicking damage from hooves, despite having normal human-looking feet. What happens when he tries to wear shoes? Do they work normally because he has feet, or do they fall off because he has hooves?
  3. Our satyr goes to the beach in human form, and goes sunbathing. After lying out he burns on his chest and arms while his legs are still pasty white because they have fur on them in the native form. Does this make any kind of sense?
The problem is that Cosmetic is definitely not described as illusory, but an actual physical change that does not confer abilities. Does it cancel out abilities, if the assumed form is less powerful/able? If there is no change at all, and the assumed form is not illusory, how does this work?

The problem gets even worse with animal forms. Can a human with a cosmetic alternate cat form still manipulate objects with opposable digits? Is a human with a cosmetic bird form automatically earthbound? Most importantly, am I missing something obvious that will make me smack myself on the forehead when it is pointed out to me?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:54 AM   #2
Ogbendog

Default Re: Cosmetic Question

I would say that you change your appearance, but not your race. A human can't have a cosmetic change into a satyr, he can can only change skin and hair color, hair length, maybe gender.

at best, horns might appear but be useless, they might be bundles of hair.

the other way round, the satyr can't loose his hornes. maybe, if the GM is generous, hair grows over them, or they have a pompadour type do, but they are still there
Old 03-22-2006, 09:30 AM   #3
vitruvian

Quote:
I would say that you change your appearance, but not your race. A human can't have a cosmetic change into a satyr, he can can only change skin and hair color, hair length, maybe gender.
Interesting limitation, but not Cosmetic.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
Pomphis

“You can assume a second distinct appearance with no change in abilities or racial template.”

says "no change in ... racial template". So IMO you cannot change your racial template and therefore have to remain a human or satyr. You can change into a different looking member of your race, but that´s it.
Pomphis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 09:55 AM   #5
vitruvian

No, you can *look* like a member of a different race, your template just doesn't change.
vitruvian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:29 AM   #6
Fabricati

But... Your example- most depictions of satyrs I've seen have different bone structure then humans. That sounds like a racial template change to me, regardless of whether or not the rest is purely cosmetic.

So, yeah, I'd really have to agree with Pomphis- or at the very least, assess some more points to allow a purely cosmetic Satyr form.

Of course, this line starts to get fuzzy when you talk about the Ever-Living Ones...
Old 03-22-2006, 11:32 AM   #7
transmetahuman

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitruvian
No, you can *look* like a member of a different race, your template just doesn't change.
So how does that work, then? Without calling the changes illusory? There are some racial advantages and disadvantages that simply *are* the presence or absence of a visible physical feature - how can you physically look like a cat without having No Fine Manipulators?
transmetahuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:54 AM   #8
PK

If you change your race, you're changing your racial template. If you can't change your racial template, you can't change your race.

A dragon cannot use AF (Cosmetic) to turn into a human or vice-versa. The racial template (hell, the SM alone) must change in such a case, so the Cosmetic limitation is not appropriate.

MyGURPS: My house rules and GURPS resources.

#SJGamesLive: I answered questions about GURPS After the End and more!
{Watch Video} - {Read Transcript}
PK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 12:00 PM   #9
Fabricati

... About the only counter-example I can think of for that, Rev, is the abovementioned Elf example. They're about the same SM as a human, and except for a few cosmetic features, look a lot like a human, too.

At the same time, the racial templates are very different, and a human that looks like an Elf... Would probably be caught out... With all the nastiness that may imply... Hm.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:06 PM   #10
Not another shrubbery

I believe the official ruling for Cosmetic is still that it is only for disguises. Check Kromm's and Ellie's responses in the Cosmetic Shapeshifting Questions thread. I'd add that Cosmetic doesn't make much sense for AF in light of the official rulings.
Not another shrubbery is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kromm explanation, powers