Steve Jackson Games - Site Navigation
Home General Info Follow Us Search Illuminator Store Forums What's New Other Games Ogre GURPS Munchkin Our Games: Home

Go Back   Steve Jackson Games Forums > Munchkin > Munchkin 101

Old 06-05-2016, 02:49 AM   #1
Baumdiggity

Default Adventure Time! De-corpsinated while carrying the milk suit

Playing Adventure Time Munchkin. We love it. We fight too much.

I kick open the door, BOOM! Curse! De-corpsinated! (You must immediately make a Run Away roll. If you fail, you suffer the bad stuff of the topmost Monster in the Door discards).

I am a wizard (discard up to 3 cards after rolling the die to Run Away; each one gives you a +1 bonus).

I have the Milk Suit equipped (The next time you are hit by a Curse, you may discard this to ignore its effect).

I go to roll the die to see if I fail the run away or not. BAM! We start fighting. I am told that I cannot roll the die to see first if I fail to run away and then discard the Milk Suit to ignore the Curses effects.

In my opinion, I haven't even been effected by the curse because I have a chance to Run away (and discard a card or 3 to get +1 or more to Run away). But if I fail the Run away roll, I discard the Milk Suit and the Curse goes away entirely.

The person I was playing with said I had to decide BEFORE I rolled to Run away if I wanted to discard the Milk Suit.

I said the Curse card says to immediately roll for a chance to Run away from this curse and they said, NO you have already been hit by a Curse and must decide before you roll. Either the Curse goes away now by discarding the Milk Suit, or you roll to Run away and then can't discard the Milk Suit.

PLEASE HELP. We need an impartial expert.

Last edited by Baumdiggity; 06-05-2016 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Wrong issue being clarified
Baumdiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:29 AM   #2
Baumdiggity

Default Re: Adventure Time! De-corpsinated while carrying the milk suit

I believe I figured it out but my significant other does not agree.

My opinion: when you get a card with an "immediately" on it, like immediately roll a die, you do it. Right then and there. You discuss nothing because the card says immediately.
After that, you can choose to boost your Run away roll or use a card to cancel the curse.

He is still saying you could NOT discard Milk Suit after you roll the die because drawing the curse card itself signifies you already getting hit by the curse and it is too late to discard the Milk suit.

Me: discarding the milk suit can only happen if I fail the Run Away roll and have the Bad Stuff coming at me from the topmost Monster from the Door discards.

Last edited by Baumdiggity; 06-05-2016 at 10:20 AM. Reason: Clarify
Old 06-05-2016, 02:31 PM   #3
Mister Ed

I would have thought that you would have to resolve the Curse before you could choose to equip the Milk Suit at all. I didn't think you could do stuff like changing your equipment setup AFTER drawing a Curse. Otherwise people could avoid any Curse that targeted the "Footgear/Headgear/Armor you are wearing" by unequipping it AFTER they draw the Curse, and that doesn't sound kosher.
Mister Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:45 PM   #4
orcbgone

You definitely can't swap out items once a Curse! is active, otherwise they would almost all be absolutely useless, as Mister Ed pointed out.
orcbgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:23 PM   #5
Baumdiggity

DE-CORPSINATED! Is definitely a different kind of Curse! card.

"Usually, a Curse effects its victim immediately (if it can) and is then discarded."

I should have rolled immediately but the person I was playing with wouldn't let me.

The rules say I can change which items I have equipped at any time as long as I am not in combat.

Since that is not exactly what our issue was, pretend I already had the Milk Suit equipped.
Old 06-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #6
orcbgone

Then I guess wait for word from Andrew, Phil or MunchkinMan, I maintain the stance that you can't suddenly swap items when a Curse! has hit you, whether it was cast via rival or Kicking Down the Door.
orcbgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:49 PM   #7
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

You cannot equip an Item before responding to a Curse. You must resolve the Curse with your character as it is at the moment you are Cursed.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 09:26 PM   #8
Baumdiggity

Default Re: Adventure Time! De-corpsinated and discarding the milk suit

I am sorry I put "carrying the milk suit" in the post title.

Whether or not the Milk Suit was equipped is NOT the issue we are trying to have clarified. We understand that part. Not an issue. Just read what I already wrote and PRETEND the Milk Suit was equipped.

WITH THE MILK SUIT EQUIPPED, would you roll to run away first, see what you got and then choose to discard the Milk Suit if you failed. Or do you have to choose to discard the Milk Suit BEFORE you roll and not even have to roll?

Read what I already posted and pretend the Milk Suit was equipped. Ignore everything about whether the Milk Suit was equipped or not.
Old 06-05-2016, 09:34 PM   #9
Andrew Hackard
Munchkin Line Editor

The word "may" tells me that because discarding the Milk Suit is a choice, you may choose to discard it after finding out whether you suffer the Curse's effects or successfully Run Away.

Let people like what they like. Don't be a gamer hater.

#PlayMunchkin on social media: Twitter || Facebook || Instagram || YouTube
Follow us on Kickstarter: Steve Jackson Games and Warehouse 23
Andrew Hackard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adventure time munchkin, de-corpsinated, milk suit